All Topics / General Property / Finding the right Agent

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of _joyce_joyce
    Participant
    @_joyce

Hi all,

I started looking at local real estate agents but I would like to ask you guys on how to find a good real estate agent that will manage your investment property?

The major ones pretty much have standard fees, so how do I go about looking for someone who will be a good real estate agent?

My first IP.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

look @ staff:# properties ratio
    Quality & experience of staff
    Time with company
    Size of rent roll – bigger isn’t necessarily better
    This is a job interview after all.

Other costs:
    Inspections
    Letting fee
    Postage & statement costs
    Discounting for 2nd + property
    Advertising rates, locations etc

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Hi Joyce

I'm a stickler for having a good property manager on any of my properties. When my last property needed to be re-let i went down to the local agents and went through what they offered one by one. Yes .. it was about 2 hours worth of sitting and listening to each agent talk about how good his business was. I also picked up their rental lists (its how the property will be presented to tenants) and with one .. even pretended that i was a tenant to see how they would react. One gave me an interview and a brochure (i still have both) but was missing the enthusiasm. I ended up going for the guy who when i walked in said .. the price is X dollars but i'm sure i can get you X dollars more. I want a guy who will inform me on the phone when my rents are too low compared to market, who gets a guy in to fix things, who handles tenants complaints rather than letting them lapse. After all, thats why you have a property manager in the first place, he's just a substitute for yourself !

Tough but honest, presentable but accessable. If you cant deal with the property manager .. how can your tenant?

Profile photo of _joyce_joyce
    Participant
    @_joyce

How do you find out the number of properties managed by an agent? I find that this information is not disclosed by the agents themselves.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Two ways:

Call the office, leave a message for the PM to call you back and see how long it takes (this will give you a good idea of their level of customer service that you will experience and judge it by what you would expect from a PM) – the pretence is to make a meeting to discuss property management.

Visit the office and speak to the PM (see how much time they will devote to you as walk-in or with an appointment to earn new business). Ask them outright: How many Properties do they have on the rent roll, how many staff they have (work out the staff/property ratio yourself – should be between 1:50 – 1:100), ask some difficult questions – how many properties are in arrears (ie how much time do they spend chasing outstanding rent), what reports do you get, how often, obviously what are their fees & charges etc.

(PM me for more).

Profile photo of JustRentSydneyJustRentSydney
    @justrentsydney

We have put together a useful guide to selecting a good property manager, inclduing questions to ask etc;

Finding a Good Property Manager

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.