All Topics / Help Needed! / Mortgage broker, what is involved in becoming one???

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Hi all,

Doe’s anyone know exactly what is involved in becoming a mortgage broker?

I am aware that I must do a cert IV in mortgage brokering, which is available online through various institutions for $500 or so.

But from here, what exactly would be involved in becoming a licensed broker, who can work for myself? I have called the institutions and they we not very helpful.

Also does anyone have any experience in mortgage brokering in general, any advice they may be able to share.

Thanks

Joseph

Profile photo of onthemoneyonthemoney
    @onthemoney

You will need to be mentored for the first 2 years by another mortgage broker. Once you have 2 years industry experience you can go out on your own and get fully accredited. You will need Cert IV under your belt. For more info call the MFAA or FBAA. I’m not in a position to take on anyone right now in terms of a full time commitment but happy to give advise if you want to email or call me, perhaps one of the brokers on the forum can help you.

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Thanks for the reply Tony.

So in terms of mentorship for two years, is that on a full time basis only? Or is it possible to maintain your regular full time job and get the mentoring on a part time basis?

Does it mean I would require a mentor in person, or is correspondence also fine?

Thanks again

Joe

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Joe

The MFAA have some interesting career information at:
    http://www.mfaa.com.au/default.asp?menuid=42

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of onthemoneyonthemoney
    @onthemoney
    joeandchels wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Tony.

So in terms of mentorship for two years, is that on a full time basis only? Or is it possible to maintain your regular full time job and get the mentoring on a part time basis?

Does it mean I would require a mentor in person, or is correspondence also fine?

Thanks again

Joe

You can do it part time and doesn’t need to be face to face although that would be better. The internet has great tools for conferencing and webinar etc, you would need to get the experience and coaching and your mentor would provide you with a letter recommending you once you are ready to go out on your own as a fully fledged broker

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Wow that sounds like a lot of work just to become a mortgage broker. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Joe

Profile photo of Oriel FinanceOriel Finance
    @oriel-finance

It is a lot of work due to professionalism of being a broker in this day and age – i have been in banking for 15 years / 8 of these as a broker.

Full time is really the only way this can be done due to regulation  and not to mention proper service to the clients. If you are part time you can not be across all lenders and policy. Some have the pet lenders but this is not being a broker this is being a order taker and it is definatley not one shoe fits all.

MFAA or FBAA is the best to source your information from and this will then give you the tools to be a professional broker.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

joe, all of your questions seem to point towards which occupation will pay the most with the least financial outlay, least commitment, least experience & least risk without giving up your current job.

What is it that you want to do?

Profile photo of Equity I wishEquity I wish
    @equity-i-wish

Hey Joe I to am looking at the finance industry in part time capacity also. Have sought a mentor who was willing to take me on part time to show me the ropes so to speak and also work hard and learn as much as you can. He also advised me that it will take a while to get established and you will need 2 years of mentoring before you can get a credit licence.

Profile photo of Equity I wishEquity I wish
    @equity-i-wish

Hey Joe I to am looking at the finance industry in part time capacity also. Have sought a mentor who was willing to take me on part time to show me the ropes so to speak and also work hard and learn as much as you can. He also advised me that it will take a while to get established and you will need 2 years of mentoring before you can get a credit licence.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Equity

Yes that is correct minimum of 2 Years and then you require your Diploma in MB.

Depending on your Aggregator most will require membership of one of the industry bodies.

Course over and above this you need membership of an External Dispute Body such as COSL and your Professional Idemnity etc etc.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

It's certainly comforting to know it takes at least 2 years. I'd definately want my broker to be as experienced as possible, grey hairs look good in this field, too much at stake. Nothing beats years of experience, so if you want in you've just gotta do the hard yards. Good luck.

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of realestatemogulrealestatemogul
    @realestatemogul

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about going into mortgage broking part time to start with. Background is accounting for the last 10 years. I'm aware that this would not be an easy path to riches and I would plan to gradually build a business over a number of years.

Just wanted to confirm a few things (excuse my ignorance) about the rules around entering/operating in this industry. Some of these questions may sound a little stupid, but here goes:

– I understand step 1 is the Cert IV? I thought I heard somewhere that a Diploma is now required, is that correct? If so, how long does it take to complete the Diploma, could I just do the Diploma straight up instead of the Cert IV if I intend to get the credit licence, would that be more efficient than upgrading after 2 years?

– Lets assume I don't have a contact for a mentor. What is the process. Do the Cert IV. Can I then just join an aggregator who will assign a mentor? I'm not too concerned with how much money I make (within reason) over the first 2 years, mostly I just want good experience and to have the most options once the 2 years is up.

– People have mentioned compliance as being time consuming. What are they talking about, what are the ongoing compliance requirements?

– So once the 2 years experience under a mentor have been gained, what exactly is the benefit? They can then get a credit licence. So for my simple brain is the broker pre 2 yrs exp able to contract for an aggregator (with a mentor)? Or do aggregators only take on post mentoring experience brokers? If that is the case, how does the arrangement with the mentoring broker usually work for the first 2 years (employee, contractor)?

– The lender accreditation. If you are part of an aggregator would this normally be all taken care of for you? I'm assuming that this would be the case, and why it would be easier to go with an aggregator than starting up your own business? If you were starting up your own business and had targets to reach for multiple lenders, I'd imagine it would be very difficult for a small operator. You would either have to significantly limit the number of lenders you signed up to, or have a great starting database of customers.

– Brings me to the next question. If you were to ever leave an aggregator or franchise, what is the industry standard for who retains trail commission, customer contact details etc. Any advice on some of the better aggregators to contract for? Ideally at first I would like to not have to meet sales targets as I would start part time, and would be willing to sacrifice some commission if it meant more flexibility in this regard. Once I had more time to commit however I would be happy to build my own contacts and leads and would prioritise keeping a higher proportion of the commission.

– One last line of questions. Marketing, are most brokers free to do additional advertising (at their own cost of course)? For example, mail leaflets, websites etc?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hiya

Diploma is now a requirement – can take anywhere between a day to a few months depending on how you tackle it. It ranges from intensive face to face courses to online courses that you do at your own pace.

Your aggregator might be able to help set you up with a mentor. A good mentor is one of the keys to success – so look around and choose carefully.

Time spent on compliance will vary depending on whether you hold a credit license or a representative of someone that does. I hold a license and spend quite a bit of time on the compliance side of things (audits, etc).

The two years mentoring is an MFAA requirement. Also, some lenders won't accredit brokers with less than two years experience. 

With accreditations, your aggregator will help to facilitate these but each lender has it's own process. Some will require a face to face learning session – others will have you fill out a one page form.

Trail can usually be transferred between aggregators. I haven't tried it personally – but imagine it would be a bit of a pain.

Marketing – you're on your own. Don't expect your aggregator to send you customers. Some franchise models send leads – but that all comes at a cost.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of realestatemogulrealestatemogul
    @realestatemogul

Thanks Jamie, much appreciated.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

No worries at all and best of luck.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

CharlieX
    Participant
    @charliex

so the minimum to get my own credit license is two years?
    any competency test?

i’m looking for a mentor to get thru the first two years, i’m in Melbourne. i’m willing to share my upfront commission with my mentor. I’ve been in engineering for about twenty years, and done education at universities to mba. i’m doing the broking and management courses this month. please help?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.