All Topics / Finance / future finance

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of nurse1nurse1
    Participant
    @nurse1

We currrently have 2 mortgages 1. our home valued at $450,000 still owing $298,000 2. IP valued at $350,000 still owing $310,000 (havent had it long)  We would love to buy in another area in the next couple of years as our current house in on a large block, and too hard to maintain the house its self is old  Any ideas on what we should plan for the future We have hardly any equity in our property due to loan balances We have no problems paying the loans and can afford more
    Thanks

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

If you haven't already set your home loan (PPOR) up as interest only I'd strongly advise you do so. If you anticipate that this property will become an IP in the future, there's no point in paying down the principle. Instead set-up an offset account attached to an interest only loan and deposit your excess funds in there. When it becomes an IP in the future, you can withdraw the funds and place them in an offset account linked to your new PPOR (this essentially increases your deductable debt). 

Depending on your current lender, you could access up to 90% of the value in your PPOR. This will give you around $100k for a deposit and purchasing costs on your next property (however, this is likely to incur some mortgage insurance fees – which won't be tax deductable because the purpose of the funds is to purchase a new PPOR). If you'd prefer to avoid mortgage insurance, you could access up to 80% of the properties value which would give you approximately $60k for your next purchase.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @jamie-m

Oh, and welcome to the forum! How rude of me :)

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Nurse

In addition to Jamie's excellent comments I would also ensure that the loans are standalone and not crossed collateralised.

This will make life easier when it comes to unlocking the equity.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of nurse1nurse1
    Participant
    @nurse1

Yes we would possibly have our PPOR  as an IP as well as the unit we currently have as IP  We just dont want to sell now if we can hold on to it it will be worth a lot more in 5- 10 yrs If we had to sell one we would sell the unit but even then not for a few years
    The main thing we need to work out is when we will be in a position to buy a third property to live in as we dont want to saty in our PPOR,  our current PPOR needs a bit of work . We are in the middle of painting the interior and exterior (also main bathroom needs to be gutted as not one thing in it is salvagable) and the backyard and front yard  is too time consuming plus we are on a main st that we want to get off.

While the a lender would be looking at our equity would the main thing also be ability to pay all 3 loans and would rent for 2 of the properties be taken into account? How much equity would we need?

We are willing to sit on it until prices rise again but it could take time and then the place we want to buy would rise to
    Appreciate any ideas
    Thanks

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Nurse

Yes lenders will take into consideration your current income and the current and potential rent into consideration when working our serviceability. Remember these calculations can vary considerably as some lenders take 75% of the rent others take 100%.

There are also a few other variable which means the figures can vary considerably.

You could get away with a 95% loan to valuation mean all you would need to access is 5% of the new purchase price plus costs however the costs will increase.

Probably a good idea to get your current PPOR revalued once you have finished the work and see what you can pull out of the place. Drop me an email if you want a Residex report on the property and i can send you one.

Some lenders using computer modelling to cover off on their valuations so can be a useful guide.

Cheers

Yours in Finance 

Participant
    @nurse1

Thanks for your prompt reply This forum is so helpful but I am keen to know more about interet only loan If we wanted to change our PPOR loan to an interet only loan what would the fee be approximately?  We are with ANZ and it is a loan with redraw now wish it had of been an offset account

Participant
    @qlds007

Hard to say with Anz as an interest only loan involves a whole new credit submission.

Is it under the Breakfree package ? if so you probably can do it fee free. If it is under Simplicity then might up for a couple of quid.

Either way gouging equity out with Anz is not the easiest especially when it is over 80% lvr but your broker should be able to advise you the easiest way around it.

Without actual numbers it is difficult to advise.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @nurse1

Thanks for all replies very helpful but I do have some reserching to do before making big decisions. The ANZ loan is a simplicity one.
    As we dont want to get into debt over our head we wont buy a 3rd property for a few years as we still also have a $20,000 toyota loan owing (a rip off too like the car but not the interst rate)
    We still want to move out of our PPOR as too big and our IP too small but we dont want to sell either yet as balance still high

We were thinking of renting privately a house to suit us for a few years until we finsih our car loan, have more equtiy in our  IP and PPOR and then buy 3rd property with the viw to selling our PPOR in 10 or more years
    We would easily get the same rent for our POPR that we would have to pay for a house to live in most like more then but if we could claim some tax break it would be good

Question Can we convert our PPOR loan to an IP loan? een if it means a new loan application? If so  can we then claim tax on interest and small renovations as it is an old house
    Thanks
    happy New Year!!!

Participant
    @jamie-m
    nurse1 wrote:
    Question Can we convert our PPOR loan to an IP loan?

Hi again Nurse1

Easy peasy. No need for a new application. You will be able to claim the interest repayments from the day it converts into an IP.
    If it's currently a principle and interest loan, I'd recommend converting it to interest only. This is generally a simple loan variation which might incur a charge ($200 – $300). In fact, you should probably get onto this sooner rather than later – it's not very effective(from a tax perspective) to pay down the principle on a loan that is going to convert into a deductible debt in the future. If you would like to make repayments beyond the interest only portion, you could (depending on your current lender) set up an offset account against this loan.

When converting your PPOR into an IP, make sure that you obtain a written valuation for the property (a real estate agent appraisal should suffice). This way, when you sell the property in 10 years time, you'll only be paying CGT for the period that it was an investment property (and you'll have proof to back up your claim).

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jamie-m

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @nurse1

Hi Jamie
    thanks for your reply very helpful although I am still a bit confused
    So for e.g we bought the proeperty for $170k in 2000 and now its worth $450k  if in 10 yrs we sell for e.g. at $600k does that mean we only pay CGT on $150k instead of $430K? Correct me if I am wrong
    Also  if we do go ahead and convert to IP can we claim for any improvements etc and interest? We deseperatedly need to replace the main bathroom as it has worn out bath vanity etc that cant be even repaired. Other improvements are jsut cosmetic as we had a complete new kitchen etc installed in 2005
    Thanks

Participant
    @nurse1

Hi one more question
    Should I convert the PPOR loan to interest only loan before an IP loan or when we convert to an IP
     Also what is the process of converting to an IP loan?Do we then have to move out immediately? as we would need to fix the bathrom before it is rentable (we currently use our 2nd bathroom most of the time)

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Nurse

Your ANZ banker should be able to help you out with these.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @nurse1

Ok
    So this is what we have decided to do but need advice
    We do not want to sell our PPOR for at least another 5 years but plan to rent out a smaller place with low maintenace The rent we get for our PPOR would cover the rent for the residence we would live in We also want to add our car loan $565 pr month and CC $200 pr month (with the plan to not have a CC as we have a visa debit)
    Some questions
    In what order do we change the PPOR loan to IP loan and do we top  loan while it is PPOR loan or when it is IP loan?
    Also we do need to but new fittings for main bathroom and pay for fittings by plumber and electricaian etc
    Can we claim capital improvement or do we have to wait until it is an IP for 12 months?
    Advice appreciated
    Cheers

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Nurse

Not wanting so sound unhelpful but the good ANZ banker that you recommended in another post should be able to help you out here – that's what he or she are being paid for. If they're not answering your questions or you suspect that they're not structuring the deal correctly then it might be best to seek advice from an independent mortgage broker that understands investors and what it you're trying to achieve.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @nurse1

Thank you
    The ANZ banker has been very helpful interms of getting our IP loan but I wonder when all is said and done he is an ANZ one so woudnt he have to look after ANZ? I now ask why didnt he advise us to have sign for an IO loan with offset? as many seem to recommend here?

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Nurse

I can't speak for that person but do you know if they are investors themselves? Do they understand how to structure finances correctly for ownership of multiple properties? These are some of the main advantages and value add of using an independent mortgage broker that does understand these factors and does invest in property themselves.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @nurse1

I dont know if they are
    But I think for now we may top up the laon and ensure the new loan is an IO with offet Is this the way to go for now?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.