All Topics / Help Needed! / house left a pigsty at settlement

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of House CallHouse Call
    @house-call

HI all,
    We settled on a house last week but the vendor left the place a mess-rubbish, grease marks, old bits of accumulated broken tools and kids junk all over the place, plus lawns a mess.  No apparent attempt at internal cleaning.  As a result we have had to foot a cleanup bill of several hundred dollars.

Do we have any recourse to get that money back from either the vendor or selling agent?

Thanks in anticipation

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Normally I would inspect the house the day before prior to settlement
    You can get your solicitor to write to them..

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

no . Basically , if you didn’t see the issues @ the presettlement inspection & require rectiication, there is no recourse.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Hi House Call,

You could get a solicitor to write a letter I suppose like GOM has suggested but I imagine that this will cost you another several hundred dollars. Maybe if it isn't a huge cost to clean then just treat this as a property lesson and make sure you inspect the property a few days before settlement next time around.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of House CallHouse Call
    @house-call
    luke86 wrote:
    Hi House Call,

You could get a solicitor to write a letter I suppose like GOM has suggested but I imagine that this will cost you another several hundred dollars. Maybe if it isn't a huge cost to clean then just treat this as a property lesson and make sure you inspect the property a few days before settlement next time around.

Cheers,
    Luke

Yeah.  Thanks all for input.  Luke this is actually the way I am thinking, too.  In the wider scheme of things over a year or two of renting this place out the cost of cleanup is miniscule.  Annoying but not a biggie.  But yes, I have already notched up another thing for my list of don't-forget-next-time things:  Don't trust anyone to do anything they don't have to; make them accountable by holding a stick.  in this case, not settling until mess fixed up.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Try and point it out of your mind – there are so many inconsiderate people in the world it'll make you bitter.  Just console yourself with the fact you'd never do such a thing yourself, and the fact that you're steadily building a nice pot of wealth because you are smarter than them :-)

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of dnshulldnshull
    @dnshull

On a lighter note…

I helped a friend move out when he sold his house. We spent hours and hours presenting the house in a better manner than he recieved it 16 months earlier, leaving brand new light bulbs, toliet paper on the rolls, gardens manicured to perfection. I asked why we were bothering, and he said it was just out of personal pride and respect for the new owners. I wish there  were more people  like him, i learnt alot thats for sure. Knowing that the new owners would have been over the moon to recieve a house in better condition to when they inspected it, was a good motivator on the day, and worth the extra couple of hours spent.

@house-call

update: I amicably phoned the selling agent who was very helpful, appropriately shocked and offered immediately to compensate us for cleaning costs.

Which proves there are some really reasonable people in the world and that now removes most of the slightly bitter taste I had in my mouth about all this.  So JacM you will be pleased about that. 

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    House Call wrote:
    update: I amicably phoned the selling agent who was very helpful, appropriately shocked and offered immediately to compensate us for cleaning costs.

That's great news! Sounds like you're dealing with a decent REA.

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

You definitely need to do a pre settlement inspection JUST before settlement.
     Things can change so quickly.

Even before you buy always pays to do a last minute check.

I turned up to inspect a property once (dept housing).  Every wall was smashed. Agent said it wasn't that bad a week earlier.

Guess that didn't fetch much at auction (unless some person viewed it the week before when it only had a few holes).

@house-call

we were interstate on the week of settlement.  I thought next time I would pre-arrange to get my property manager to check it on my behalf on the morning of settlement and then phone me immediately.  Can you do that?

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Yes. I do that for regionals. Most agents are pretty good.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm
    House Call wrote:

Which proves there are some really reasonable people in the world and that now removes most of the slightly bitter taste I had in my mouth about all this.  So JacM you will be pleased about that. 

Awesome result House Call !

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.