All Topics / Heads Up! / Article on residential building slump API newsletter

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Biggest residential building slump in a decade

Posted on Wednesday, November 24 2010 at 3:34 PM

Residential building slumped 6.1 per cent in the September quarter, making it the biggest quarterly fall in nearly a decade. Construction work also fell 2.1 per cent, down to $41.4 billion. Commsec says the hangover effect from the government stimulus and considerable growth in property prices over the past year contributed to weaker residential demand and activity.

Commsec says the long-term outlook is still positive, and overall construction costs increased by 0.7 per cent, the biggest quarterly increase in two years. It believes improvement in economic conditions should support private sector activity in the medium term, and businesses are dusting off plans that were sidelined during the global financial crisis. However, companies are still unwilling to fully commit until they’re confident a strong recovery is taking place. That attitude has been confirmed in the latest round of data. Residential construction recorded significant weakness, but there is lots of planning for the future. Work yet to be done is holding $42.4 billion, down 5.9 per cent from the record highs reached in the March quarter.

Commsec says the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) is unlikely to be concerned by the slide in construction activity, because there’s a healthy amount of work in the pipeline. However, recent rate rises could put a dampener on construction, so the RBA should leave interest rates on hold for a couple of months.

Commsec says overall, the outlook for construction industries is favourable, and the key challenge is to keep cost pressures under control. It says infrastructure projects, fast population growth and the booming mining sector will buoy activity in the long term.

I don't know where they got this article, just thought it was interesting…..

Means good things for investors tho!

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of beediebeedie
    Participant
    @beedie

DW,

Bit of the same from Steve's McKnights  thread which we covered off a few weeks ago "Building Approvals Tumble"  if you recall….

For those interested……link below.

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/general-property/4333953?highlight=tumble

Wofleeee…….. hows the presales going.?????  …..lol……..   I ain't done nothing on mine  and looking at building in end January now…….Yipes…..

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah that's true I was thinking bout that.

Also I have a sneaking suspicion that people don't read old threads…… ;)

I'm about to launch onto market…. I've got 12 and I need to get 4 done to get funding, bring it on. I'm interested to see what people are building and planning to build. I got the 3D yesterday, nice!

Beedeeeeeeeeee, If I can nail this I'll be onto a winner. I'll put it on here so people can see it (no not for marketing Mod) just so people can see it and see what we are doing. I've got to get it on the market soon though or I'll be stuck in a glut! That's the problem when everybody catches on!

Man, get yourself some pre-sales how you sleeping at night with no signatures…. and how you getting your construction money?

Good on ya!

D

Email Me

Profile photo of Whaleman7Whaleman7
    Participant
    @whaleman7

G'day all,

Thanks Beedie & Dwolfe for directing me onto that old thread, very interesting!

I'm  also putting together a small unit developement, and that was very encouraging news.

It's crazy, people are trying to discourage me at the moment saying that property prices are still going to go down! They don't realise that, that's great news! That just means I'll buy my next one at a discount, and when my product comes onto the market then the demand will be through the roof due to the lack of activity now…

Cheers

Dale

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

No worries Whaleman7,

Markets within markets. It doesn't matter so much (well….) if the price is stagnant or downward trending as long as you have accounted for that. If I'd have bought the properties I got talked out of I would be very rich right now, G6 rich. LOL

Good luck with your project, let us know how you get on. Listen to yourself, listen to your numbers.

D

Email Me

Profile photo of beediebeedie
    Participant
    @beedie

DW…..
    Sleeping fine my friend ……lol…….have had some much stress in my life…..  just manage to control and switch off to it….. But that's another  long story…….
    Bank isn't drilling us on presales on this development… and I am not persuaded this development will attract investors but more owner-occupier market due to demographics location finish etc etc…. hence sales more likely to come in nearer completion…….. Construction costs coming in at 1.38 million Inc GST and certainly looking to lock in with builder next week to commence January…
    Interested to see your 3D and hope both our crystal balls are on the money

………….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.