All Topics / Help Needed! / Buying off the plan in Brisbane? Convenient?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of latormorlatormor
    @latormor

Hi investors,

I hope you're all doing millions of dollars right now!

My partner and I were offered an off the plan property in Brisbane because by the settlement date, December 2011, Brisbane will be doing pretty well.

I went after a 2nd opinion and this person (an expert) suggested regional Queensland or Sydney but not Brisbane.

I checked the Australian Property Investor properties cycles for November 2010 and it says in general Declining Market, but that's this year, that could change.

So, tell me experts, what other sources do you revise when making decisions about this strategy?

Cheers

Alex

Profile photo of steve-investsteve-invest
    @steve-invest

I am definitely no expert but In my humble opinion Brisbane is one of the best cities to buy right now. The population is increasing at approx 1000 a week in SEQ. The planned infrastructure to manage the growth in population over the next 10-20 years is massive. I believe Brisbane is ready for a very healthy upward cycle over the next 5 years. I have 4 investment properties in Brisbane and over the last 10 years had a very good run averaging around 11.5% or average annual growth. I have no hesitation in thinking the next 10 years will do the same. Steve

Profile photo of latormorlatormor
    @latormor

Thanks for your opinion Steve, that sounds very good ! We just wanna get started soon and don't miss the opportunity.

Regards,

Alex

Profile photo of beediebeedie
    Participant
    @beedie

Alex

Today oddly enough I was looking into my crystal ball as regards to timing the Brisbane market for 2011 myself.

Timing as we are standing by to commence / not commence building in January on a 5 apartment complex with an existing queenslander house being shifted across and renovated on its own block in a good location within the Brisbane inner city most with city views.

My speculative decision is to proceed with the project which will be completed and on the market around Sept 2011 as I believe if you have a property based on the basic fundamentals, eg. Good location, quality and value it will be more in demand & have greater resilience to any unfavourable pressures and inevitably outperform the market.

Assuming in your situation you are looking at the medium to longer term???  I wouldn’t be too distracted by short term “noise” in the market and rely on your depth of experience, assessment of real estate fundamentals and your specific finances.

That’s my two bob and wishing prosperity and a bit of good luck for both of us.  

@latormor

Hi beedie,

Thanks for that. Yes, we are considering this as a long term investment, I've done part of my homework (due dilligence) and all the factors look very good. I don't want us to think too much and do nothing, I pretty excited about this one ! 

Good luck for you too !

Alex

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Ok so you've decided Brisbane will be doing well in 12 months time.
    But what of the off the plan purchase. I it good value? how does it compare to similar sized properties in the same area? If you overpay it will take years to get to market value even if prices do go up around you. Whats the expected rent? How will your cash flow be? Have you factored in more interest rate rises?

Lots of DD to do. Just hoping you've done more than just look at expected (hoping for) growth.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Suss out the anticipated body corporate fees as well – they can be sky high in that area.

For what it's worth, I think SE QLD will do well over the next year or two. If anything, it hasn't experienced the dramatic rises in recent times like Sydney, Melb and Canberra have. I still like Logan – relatively cheap buy in, decent yields…..interesting tenants.

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @beedie

Valid advice from  Catalyst….  and if I can add I’m not implying that the Brisbane market will be doing well in 12 months far from it……  if at best it still be soft and flat …. just make sure you factor Catalyst advice in your off the plan decision………   Such is the speculative cycle

Might find this thread interesting as well……..

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/community/opinionated/4334606

@latormor

Hi all!

Thanks for your advice and points of view. We've been analysing historical data of vacancy rates, demographics, facilities, etc, and all looks good. Appart from Google Maps we used Nearmap which is more up to date than google and it's all good.

It's very exciting giving the first steps !!!

Profile photo of onthemoneyonthemoney
    @onthemoney

Re Brisbane, it has been suggested there a current shortage of housing supply is between 6,000 – 10,000 dwellings. 1000 people a week moving to SEQ, affordability in regards to ownership and rentals is mid range and Brisbane wages have grown at a higher rate then Melb or Sydney. Brisbane is one of the lower risk investment cities and according to a recent residex report, has passed the ‘worst’ it has to offer. Forecasts indicate there is more upside than downside and that the downside is lower than other eastern state cities. The states budget is looking like its on track to returning to surplus over the coming years with the LNG contract mid coast. From all the resources I have Brisbane looks to be good investing over the next 5 – 10 years for sure and now while a little flat, a buyers market. Time to get in.

@latormor

Thanks very much Tony !  That sounds very good. I just have a question: What is SEQ ?

I will email you to ask you for the Residex reports.

Cheers

Alex

Profile photo of newb4000newb4000
    @newb4000

South East Queensland

regards

@latormor

Thanks for that (I had no idea lol)

Participant
    @beedie

Alex.

Can I ask what suburb , indicative cost etc of the property you thinking in investing in?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.