All Topics / Value Adding / Renovation value after completion

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of Ben KBen K
    Participant
    @ben-k

Hello everyone,
    I am planning on doing a renovation and want to know wether valuers have a "cheat sheet" of sorts that they go off when revaluing a home,

ie: Do valuers go into a home and say "Right, theyve put a pool in, standard value to add is 30k" or
    "new car port – +15k"

or is it a case by case basis?

just want to know so i can make informed decisions on what to put priority on

thanks everyone

Ben

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

A val is very subjective and outcomes variable depending upon instructions. They are not shaman (REA’s) nor are they builders or spin doctors, they are there to determine ‘value’.

It is not simply the sum of what was paid & the cost of the works but a comparison of similar properties, what they have achieved in the market and whether the property is better or worse.

Profile photo of alynaalyna
    Participant
    @alyna

1. Budget all your renovation costs closely
    2. Work out how much your house will sell for after completion (completion worth – existing worth = value added)
    3. Reduce renovation costs if they’re more than value added
    4. Target renovations to suit your suburb and its demographics
    5. Do quality renovation work

Profile photo of Ben KBen K
    Participant
    @ben-k

Scott and alyna, thank you for your replies

Ben

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I'd also add, chat to a local real estate agent to get their idea as to what would add most value to the property – they are at the forefront and see many properties so would have a better idea than the architect/designer/builder/tiler etc (each has their own cart to push).

Once you know what will sell, then tailor your refurb to be the most cost effective.

Profile photo of Ben KBen K
    Participant
    @ben-k

That suits me i have some real estate agents that i get along with here, thanks Scott

Profile photo of SparkysSparkys
    @sparkys

Most real estate agents are happy to provide you with a list of past sales data in the area.

Get this list, type it all into Excel (as they will usually provide it in pdf format), do some charts comparing actual sale price to fields like year built, extras added, bedrooms, bathrooms, location etc and determine the sales trends.

Go visit some of the properties that have sold for higher prices and ask if you can have a look through them.

Build up your picture before starting work.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely
    Sparkys wrote:
    Most real estate agents are happy to provide you with a list of past sales data in the area.

If I had a crystal ball, I would also provide future sales data as well. ;)

Profile photo of SparkysSparkys
    @sparkys
    IP Freely wrote:
    Sparkys wrote:

If I had a crystal ball, I would also provide future sales data as well. ;)

Heh, if you could do that I'd have to wonder if you were a directing member of the RBA!

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Hi sometimes banks do a desktop valuation so may not even come out. It's up to you to provide why it's worth mare than the average.
     As others said, speak to RE Agents to see what's in demand from a sell and a rental point of view.
    Work out what you intend to replace, fix, etc.

I only do reno's where equity has increased 3-1. That is if I spend $1 the equity has to increase $3. Plus I eed increased rent.
     Otherwise what's the point?

Last reno cost $15K. Increased equity $60K. But a LOT of sweat equity in there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.