All Topics / Overseas Deals / Help closing US deal from Australia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of PQPQ
    @pq

Hi all, I need advice from anyone who has bought property in the US and closed/settled the sale in Australia.

My offer was accepted on a Fannie Mae foreclosure property in Texas and I've paid the earnest money while I was over there. Now I'm back here, the title agent has emailed to say that I will have to go to the US Embassy in Canberra to sign the closing paperwork! This seems extraordinary to me and surely that is what a Public Notary is for. Am I wrong? Did you have to go to the Embassy when you closed the sale? Is there another way?

Thanks for your help.

Profile photo of jeff2tractjeff2tract
    @jeff2tract

Hi PQ,

I have not heard of this before I just purchased a property in the New York state area and I have an attorney there that has handled the purchase. Did you set up an LLC to purchase the property, what tax structure have to set up? Did you speak with any accountnat familiar with Australian/USA tax laws?

Jeff

Profile photo of PQPQ
    @pq

Never mind – they backed down and agreed with me! We're booking a Public Notary in South Australia for closing next week. Sorted! 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.