All Topics / Help Needed! / What costs are involved in purchasing a property-QLD?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of TiffanyGTiffanyG
    @tiffanyg

Hi Guys,

I'm getting close to buying a property and was just wondering if anyone could let me know exactly what costs are involved in buying a property?

Thank you!!!!!

Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

Hi Tiffany,

There are a lot of variables to consider with your question.

The actual cost will be determined by how much the house costs to buy; how much you use for a deposit to the bank on settlement; and in which state the property is located. There are also a few 'extras' you need to consider, such as building and pest inspections, and which conveyancer you engage to do the legal stuff.

I am not familiar with most other states, but I can shed a bit of light with regard to buying property in QLD. At a minimum you will likely be up for:

Transfer duty (stamp duty), and a transfer fee – The amount increases or decreases with the price of the property. It is also charged at a different rate depending on whether you are buying the property as an investment property (IP) or a Principal Place of Residence (PPOR). The Office of State Revenue is the receiver of this duty, and their rates are listed here http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/duties/about-duties/rates-of-duty.shtml You can calculate it yourself, or use some online calculators provided by most banks on their websites. also, if this is your first property and you qualify for the first home owners grant, then there are some concessions to be made here, provided you comply with their requirements.

Conveyancing (legal), varies by which conveyancer you use;

mortgage registration fees, only usually a few $hundred;

Loan Mortgage Insurance (if you are using less than a 20% deposit), also varies dependant on which bank and their preferred insurer, as well as various other factors;

Oh, and landlords insurance/home insurance, etc… you may have to pay a month or so in advance depending on who you use.

That should just about cover off purchase of an established house, but I have no idea what the costs would be for a new build… Someone on here will have a clue with regard to that, and I would be interested to know also!

As always, comments are of a general nature and are not specific to your situation. Seek professional advice, your broker or loan manager should be able to help you out with determining the most of it or help point you in the right direction. The more research you do, the less likely you are to encounter any nasty surprises, but you will ultimately be responsible for identifying and covering all costs/problems associated with your purchase.

Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

I should add, I have only bought a couple of houses before but each time I ended up having to come up with last minute cash to resolve some sort of unforseen expense that my broker, bank manager, or myself did not count on (or was calculated incorrectly)… So make sure you have what you need to get the job done, and leave a little breathing room in the kitty!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

It will depend on other factors which include:

1) Is it your first purchase?
    2) Is it owner occupied?
    3) Is the purchase price under $500,000?
    4) Is it owner occupied.?
    5) How much do you need to borrow?

Once you now this you can work out some of the costs involved.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TiffanyGTiffanyG
    @tiffanyg

Hi

Thank you so much for your replies. This is my first purchase so I’m just trying to get all the information together before I jump in head first.

The costs I have so far are:

The deposit
    The Mortgage
    A buyers agent (who will be going to auction for me)
    Property Valuation/Comparable Market Analysis
    Building Inspector

Conveyancing (legal), varies by which conveyancer you use;- what is this?

Also do I have to engage a lawyer with this and if so how do I find one and how much would they cost?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just freaking out because I’m actually about to buy a house and want to make sure I’ve dotted all the i’s and crossed the t’s

Again, Thank you so much

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.