All Topics / Help Needed! / Capital Gains Tax implications of turning investment property into PPOR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of theplatypustheplatypus
    @theplatypus

I'm about to move into my investment property to live in about 10 days (ie, turning my investment property into my place of residence) and am getting conflicting advice regarding CGT so am hoping someone can give me a definitive answer. My accountant told me I should get it valued before I move in so that I only pay Capital Gains Tax on the gain in value up until now (ie, its value when it stopped being an investment property rather than its value in say 10 years if I sell it then). But people on here are telling me that I don't need to get it valued as the capital gain will simply be a % on how many years I lived in it vs the years it was an investment. I'm totally confused about what to do and whether I should get it valued or not?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

I'm sorry to say your accountant is incorrect, there is no need to get it valued. You only need to get a property valued if the property is changind from a PPOR to an investment property.

If changing from an investment to a PPOR, the capital gains calculation is based on the % of time the property was producing income.

Profile photo of theplatypustheplatypus
    @theplatypus

Yes but how is the capital gain amount reached? I mean, if I don't get it valued now, then when I sell it in 10 years, won't they calculate it based on its value then rather than the value BEFORE I moved in? Whereas if I get it valued now, then I will know exactly what the capital gain was before I moved in and whatever increase in value there is while I'm living there shouldn't apply?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42
    theplatypus wrote:
    Yes but how is the capital gain amount reached? I mean, if I don't get it valued now, then when I sell it in 10 years, won't they calculate it based on its value then rather than the value BEFORE I moved in? Whereas if I get it valued now, then I will know exactly what the capital gain was before I moved in and whatever increase in value there is while I'm living there shouldn't apply?

Getting it valued will have no effect on how the capital gain is calculated.

CG is worked out on the percentage of time the property was income producing.

ie – Purchased July 2005 for $200,000

Moved in July 2007

Sold July 2010  for $350,000

Property was an investment for 40% of the time (ie, two years out of 5) so your capital gains is ($350,000 – $200,000) x 40%.

Profile photo of nightelvesnightelves
    @nightelves
    Dan42 wrote:
    theplatypus wrote:

Getting it valued will have no effect on how the capital gain is calculated.

CG is worked out on the percentage of time the property was income producing.

ie – Purchased July 2005 for $200,000

Moved in July 2007

Sold July 2010  for $350,000

Property was an investment for 40% of the time (ie, two years out of 5) so your capital gains is ($350,000 – $200,000) x 40%.

Dan42 is right this is the same information that I was given from one of Margaret Lomas’s books as well. Think you might need to move to a different accountant.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.