All Topics / Help Needed! / Property in Western Suburbs – Issues with Builder / Reputation !!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of sweethomesweethome
    @sweethome

Hi Guys,
    I am trying to buy a 3 bedroom unit in Western Suburbs its 90% done and the builder is Universal Property group (aka Bathla Investments). I am really confused with the reputation of this builder. Some friend's have warned me and even one of the banker said his bank won't do loans with this builder. Now my questions is if you look online from Parramatta to Blacktown these guys have apartments, townhouse, villas all over the place.

I really want to know from someone here what's wrong with them and what are the things I should watch out or do something to find out more abt them to make the right decision !!

The property I'm looking at is right next to the station that's the best part. The building I would say is average but we can't find anything around that price that close to the train station at the moment.

Anyone please help me decide !!

Profile photo of sweethomesweethome
    @sweethome

Hi guys any updates ?? Please help meee

Profile photo of sweethomesweethome
    @sweethome

Guys can someone help plsssssss

Profile photo of smittyj123smittyj123
    @smittyj123

Universal Property Group/Bathla/Raj & Jai etc etc they have many different names – don't purchase anything they are involved in.

"There is wide-ranging conspiracy in western Sydney," a local MP, Paul Gibson, said of the problems confronting Ms Manyang and many in her community. "It involves certain construction companies … building or purchasing houses and entering into very suspicious mortgage contract deals."  SMH 5/7/08

Parliament NSW Legislative Assemby 25 June 2008

HOME FINANCE FRAUD

Mr PAUL GIBSON (Blacktown) [7.31 p.m.]: There is a wide-ranging conspiracy in Western Sydney that possibly extends throughout Sydney. It involves certain construction companies—the ones I know of are based in Western Sydney, but there could be more—building or purchasing houses and entering into very suspicious mortgage contract deals. My constituent Rigina Manyang, who is Sudanese and was 27 years of age when this saga began, is a single mum with five children. Last year she was walking through the shopping centre at Mount Druitt when she was approached by a lady named Sonia, who asked her whether she was interested in purchasing a home and handed her a brochure. Rigina, who does not speak English fluently, told her that she worked only 10 hours a week as a cleaner and received the bulk of her income from Centrelink. She said that she was also making car repayments of $560 a month.

A few weeks later Rigina received a telephone call from the company, which invited her to visit its offices in Toongabbie with a view to her purchasing a home. Rigina said that she thought initially that the company was talking about a rental property because she could not possibly afford to buy anything. But she went to the office to have a yarn. She told a fellow there the same story: she is a single mum with five children who works only 10 hours a week and has no money in the bank. He said, "Well, I can't help you." But Rigina said he then started to muck around with figures on a piece of paper. He asked her whether she could afford to pay $800 a fortnight. She said that she thought it was possible. He then told her to tell her real estate agent that she would be vacating her rental property. He said that he would arrange for her to have a new house, but she needed to give him $750 to organise the deal. Rigina returned to the office within the next few days and gave $1,000 in cash to the fellow, who said that she would move into her new home in a few weeks and would have to pay rent of $800 a fortnight.

In November Rigina received another telephone call. She was told to return to the office to sign some documents and to bring some electricity bills for identification purposes. She said that this time she was met by another person, whom she had never seen in her life, who said, "I'm your lawyer; your house is settled and I have the papers for you to sign". She told him that she needed an interpreter because her English was not good enough. They said that her English was fine and that she did not need an interpreter. The so-called lawyer then told Rigina that she would have to pay the $7,000 first home owners grant to the construction company because she did not pay a deposit through the bank. Rigina has signed a statutory declaration to the effect that she had never applied for the first home owners grant.

In November Rigina received another telephone call from the company to say that the repayments would be more expensive as interest rates had increased. In December she was asked why she had not arranged to put her money into a particular bank, and she replied that she had no money. The company then said, "Well, if you've got no money, you can't stay in the house". To cut a long story short, this is a scam. The company even produced a forged document stating that Rigina worked for a certain employer and presented payslips. There was also a statutory declaration signed by a person whom Rigina has never met and never heard of stating that he gave her $105,000. That statutory declaration was submitted to a bank with the application for the home loan. The bank is also in the wrong—I will not say which bank—because it gave Rigina a loan. She must now vacate the house by the end of the week. I have referred the matter to the police and to the Office of Fair Trading. In the past few days I have discovered that seven people in my electorate have been targeted by the same scam. The matter must be investigated. I told Rigina that I would bring her case to the attention of the House today in an attempt to help her and others like her.

Mr JOHN AQUILINA (Riverstone—Leader of the House) [7.36 p.m.]: I assure the member for Blacktown that the Minister for Fair Trading is well and truly on top of this matter. It should concern us all. My electorate neighbours that of the member for Blacktown and I have received 15 different emails outlining similar scams that are circulating in Riverstone. Hardly a week goes past when I do not receive representations from people who have been taken advantage of. It is almost an epidemic. I congratulate the member for Blacktown on raising this matter on behalf of his constituents. We must stop these scams. Many people—such as newly arrived migrants—are not familiar with the nation's economic circumstances and are not fluent in English. They accept people at face value, and they are being taken advantage of in a big way. They amass as much money as they can to provide food and shelter for themselves and their families. Then unscrupulous people take advantage of them and take away the little they have, leaving them destitute.

I congratulate the member for Blacktown on raising this grave matter that warrants investigation by and the full attention of the Minister for Fair Trading and the police to afford justice to these people. Just because they do not come from an English-speaking background and cannot speak the language properly does not mean that they should be taken advantage of. It is the Government's responsibility to protect them.

Profile photo of alp109alp109
    Participant
    @alp109

Hi ! Sweethome
    I am also in a similar dilema that you are in, but I haven't seen anything negative about these guys in black & white, have you been able to find out anything more about these guys ?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

what is on the asic website?

Profile photo of Ultra PropertyUltra Property
    @ultra-property

Speak to someone who has built with them before. The feedback so far doesn't appear to be good.

Profile photo of ccinvestorccinvestor
    Participant
    @ccinvestor

From the ASIC website today:

11-81MR Property developer enters into enforceable undertaking providing compensation for vendor finance borrowers

Thursday 14 April 2011

ASIC has accepted an enforceable undertaking (EU) from a Toongabbie (NSW) based property developer, Mr Bhart Bhushan, and his company Universal Property Group Pty Ltd (UPG), following an investigation into alleged unconscionable conduct in connection with their lending practices.

As part of the EU, UPG and Mr Bhushan have agreed to a scheme whereby vendor finance borrowers – who were clients of UPG or Mr Bhushan – will be entitled to seek compensation if they believe they were victims of unconscionable conduct.

The compensation scheme will involve UPG and Mr Bhushan writing to clients and providing them with an opportunity to provide information in support of a compensation claim. UPG is also required to appoint an independent person – to be approved by ASIC – to consider any compensation claims that UPG has rejected.

UPG has operated a residential property development business from 1997, mostly in western Sydney. Mr Bhushan is the sole director and secretary of UPG.

From 2004 until mid-October 2009, UPG offered vendor finance to people who purchased property from UPG and associated entities. Mr Bhushan met with prospective purchasers and made oral inquiries about the person’s income, assets, and liabilities. Mr Bhushan accepted the information he was given as true and accurate but neither he nor UPG took steps to independently verify the information provided by prospective purchasers about their financial situation.

Many of the purchasers were immigrants – from Sudan or the Philippines – who came from non-English speaking backgrounds.

UPG stopped offering vendor finance in October 2009.

ASIC’s investigation identified concerns relating to the conduct of UPG and Mr Bhushan, including:
    whether UPG made adequate inquiries as to the borrower’s or any of the guarantor’s financial situation;
    UPG’s reliance on the borrowers’ assertions as to their financial situation and its failure to test or verify independently the borrowers’ assertions as to their income, expenses, assets and liabilities;
    whether the borrowers understood to a sufficient degree the terms and conditions of the vendor finance loan in circumstances where UPG knew or ought to have known that some borrowers had a poor understanding of spoken and written English and/or little financial acuity;
    UPG’s offer of vendor finance to some borrowers who were recipients of Centrelink benefits;
    UPG’s offer of vendor finance on promotional terms, including the offer of capped repayments, contributions to the borrower’s first mortgage loan, and lump sum cash rebates.

Further details relating to the compensation scheme are contained in the EU, which is available from ASIC’s website. ASIC accepted the EU as an alternative to commencing court proceedings.

ASIC acknowledges the assistance provided by the Mt Druitt & Area Community Legal Centre Inc in this matter.

Profile photo of glenntglennt
    @glennt

I am in a bad situation myself in a off the plan purchase… this is what I posted in Feb 2011.
    If I were you I'd get out off the deal now or it can financially rouine you.

I invested in a property two and a half years ago on an investment property off the plan ($540k). Yes I was a
    sucker, no stamp duty and a rental guaranty for two years. Judging by the
    drawing and photos I thought great, just a $2000 initial bond and wait until
    settlement. Plenty of time to save and let the market rise.

After two and a half years the property settled, developers paid the stamp duty as agreed in
    the contract, but when it came to the rental guarantee.. they are planning to go
    bankrupt. We can't win because it will take more money to take them to court.
    Now the banks still require their monthly interest paid and theres a number of
    apartments wanting to be rented. The banks have under priced the property, and
    we agreed on a price, not knowing, that was over inflated at the
    time.

Now I have to sell at the risk of hoping to get the price that I
    need so to pay the bank loan off and get my 20% bond back. Who's to blame myself
    and the realestate agent who sucked me in. I still can't find anything about the
    developers. Everone was in on it from the agents, finance company, strata
    managers, settlement agents. They all make their commissions and move on to the
    next scam.

Profile photo of desiluckydesilucky
    @desilucky

Hello Glentt,
    Mate if you don't mind can you kindly share the name of developer/builder,,,, so that other people can stay away from him,,
    Thanking you,,

Profile photo of WellwisherWellwisher
    @wellwisher

Desilucky

They have couple of names i know of which are a) Bathla Investments Ltd  b) UPG or Universal Property Group 3) Western Property Group, who knows the next one, Mainly not to get trapped with this type of Builders ask them some tricky questions and twist them in such a way that, they explain their history, how many names they had before or what they were know as before, to my knowledge they are bit dodgy but if you really bargain before you sign anything, they bend a bit and do what you ask, but quality is not that good and after service is poor, may be you can win with price some time, i know a few buyers from him some are less than happy, some are just satisfied, a couple may have one or two complaints,  one thing to make sure is have a through inspection and take time to verify each and every thing they promise to provide, BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING! OR ATLEAST BEFORE COOLING OFF PERIOD! and threaten them you will with draw so they do things as they promise.

Good luck.
    Wellwisher

@desilucky

G'day Wellwisher,,

Firstly welcome to the Forum,, Mate If I was you, I would not fall in trap of those crazy people, <moderator: delete language>,,, and don't expect any customer services,, they don't have any,, and who cares to be honest abt this services, when you bloody spend over $400K approx, you want quality… There are plenty of properties in market & and I would not want to buy of theirs,, all my friends, have great negative impact after buying his property,,,
    Also on time of resale, when you ask who built the property and you mention above Builders <edit> name,,, no one wants to buy your asset,,,, and its once in life time investment you do,,, so stay away from them,, also they now know they have bad name in the market,,,, so they sell properties thru agents,,,,, not using their names,,,,,, so beware and stay away from all their allieds,,,, good luck mate

Profile photo of patelr_1980patelr_1980
    @patelr_1980

G'day guys

I am looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom brand new property suitable to my requirement in Girraween and surrounding suburbs from last one year. I have seen almost all the newly built properties for sale in these areas in recent past through all major real estates including Laing & Simmons, Raywhite, Ljhooker, R&W, Starr Partners, Carrols etc and they all are offering me bathla properties.
    After lot of research work I have concluded that approx. 80% brand new properties in these areas are being constructed by Bathla and rest 20% by individual builders who are not selling off the plan (stamp duty can’t be saved) and asking for approx $30K more than Bathla for similar configuration & finish properties. Also, there is no information available over internet about these small builders.
    Few of my friends also have bought properties from Bathla and they don’t have any major concern except some minor repair issues. After going through the information available on this forum, I am in dilemma. I can save almost $45K by buying from them.The property is at convenient location. I have seen one property recently finished by Bathla and found that the building structure is better (First floor concrete) than other builders.
    Can somebody help me to decide?

@desilucky

Mr Patel,
    Stay away from them,,,, Big time quality issues, things when are new always look nice,, the real durability tests come when they get older,,, and their <moderator: delete language> prices comes to market,,, For your own research,,,, find properties they sold in suburbs such as Blacktown or Toongabie, two years ago,, and there are lot of properties within same comples up for sale from same builder,, more importantly no price hike,,,, apart from general rise,,,, which means that their property is not yeilding good returns,,,, mate look at finish product in nice way,,, you will find ill craftsmanship,, and poor quality stuff used,,, to look at quality look at drawers and handles and tiles they use, than go to bunnings, even the staff at bunnings would adv you that is lowest quality available,,,,, and their stuff from direct manufacturer in china,,, mate look around lot other people are doing lot better things,, good luck,,,,

Profile photo of alp109alp109
    Participant
    @alp109

To anyone who is thinking of buying one of these guys properties, I would advise not to do so, as you will realize the trouble you will go through when you have to sell it. When its new everything looks great… but time will tell the difference, I bought one of their properties and had great trouble in selling it.SO BE CAREFUL…

Profile photo of daerongdaerong
    @daerong

The biggest mistake I made in my life was buying the house built by universal property group/western sydney property/ bathla group. They made so many mistakes and refused to repair them. Now I live in hell. Do not engage with bathla in any ways.  

Profile photo of BoughtWithEquityBoughtWithEquity
    Participant
    @boughtwithequity

It's pretty basic….if you are thinking of a builder and your potential bank or lender says "we won't deal with them", that's a pretty huge warning to go elsewhere.  Here in the states we often have local building boards, I wonder if similar things exists over there?  I'd start by checking with some local real estate agents and see what kind of builder referrals you can get.  It would be a good idea to get references on the builder and go see some things they built 5 or 10 years ago to see how they held up.  New construction in metro Atlanta can be pretty rough….my group ends up fixing a lot of things that were done right the first time at construction.  People here think an inspection process or the building codes inspector will make SURE the house is up to snuff…doesn't always work that way.  If you go with a builder, it might be a good idea to hire an independent inspector to walk the property as it is being built.  You may have to ante up some more $$$ to correct or improve things as you go along but it will be money well spent.  A huge issue in Atlanta is poor flashing at windows & doors, a cheap or no caulk on trim.  That short-cut becomes our bread & butter a few years later in repairs.  Luck!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.