All Topics / Commercial Property / 1st home dual zone resi/comm. Need advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Markus1HBMarkus1HB
    @markus1hb

Hi all. I’ve just signed up. My name is Mark. I’m thinking about buying my first home in the next 12 months. I was wondering if anyone has advice on whether a combined residential and commercial property is a sound investment. I would need my parents help because the kinds of properties I’ve seen for example are Sydney city terraces with 2-4 bedroom upstairs residential with a restaurant or shop downstairs. Entry price is $1m from what I can tell (about three times more than I could spend on just an apartment doing it by myself). Assuming my parents take on the $700k and I take the 300k, and the commercial property is leased to a tenant, I just need some guidance and would appreciate and all comments.
    Thanks
    Mark

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Hi Mark,

Remember that commercial properties have higher vacancies than residential properties. If your portfolio consists of a single commercial property, then your are exposed if that property is vacant for a considerable amount of time. Your will lose your entire rental income there will still be a $700k loan to pay. I think it would be better to invest in a couple of smaller properties than 1 big one if you are starting out.

Maybe you could consider getting a 1-2 bedroom apartment for say 400k to start with and taking advantage of the First Home Buyers stamp duty exemption. I am not sure if this will be available on a mixed commercial/residential property and so you may be up for a lot of stamp duty costs with the mixed use option. Also see if your parents could put some money towards the apartment as a short term loan to save LMI.

You could then over a few years aquire a few smaller commercial properties to get up to the $1m portfolio you are after. Remember that 3 x $330k properties are better than 1 x $1m property.

Luke.

Profile photo of Markus1HBMarkus1HB
    @markus1hb

Hi Luke
    Thanks for your reply. I hadn't considered First home buyers SD exemption but will look into that.

Profile photo of thomsonthomson
    @thomson

A few years ago I took a lease on a commercial building to run my small business.  The building was not currently lease when I took it over and had been empty for some months prior.  In addition it took a while to negotiate mtually acceptable terms of the lease before I signed.

I guess I'm just agreeing with luke and saying be careful with vacancy rates for commercial properties.

thommo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.