All Topics / Heads Up! / Questions…hope somebody can help, I’m very new to this!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Sharon ForrestSharon Forrest
    @sharon-forrest

Having just recently decided to look into purchasing an investment property, I've put my feelers out and come across some info on 'Defence Service Housing' where they pay for all the maintenance and guarrantee tenants for a certain period, has anybody out there had any experience with these contracts?  Also does anybody know if going through "myportfolio' is a good or bad idea?  Thanks

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I only know a little bit. The thing is if you decide to sell you limit your purchasers to investors as there is usually a long lease (10yrs + option to extend sometimes). Rents increase with CPI but any I jhave looked at have been under market rent after a few years. So your sale price is lower to compensate for this. Check what fees they charge to manage it. One I looked at was 16%.

Other than that I can't help. Sorry.

Don't know My portfolio. More info please.

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold

Hi Sharon

I looked into the Defense Housing a few years ago…

As Catylist said the negatives are that they generally have a very high % charge for property management, which amongst other costs makes your property heavily negatively geared in the beginning.

On the positives, they do things like fresh paint, new carpet etc for no charge at the end of the contract term.

My overall thoughts are that if you are very risk adverse, and like the idea of a garanteed rent / property condition etc then Defense Housing would work for you.

If you are happy to deal with the occasional dodgy tennant, and take care of some basic repairs / property maintance yourself you can achieve much better investment returns elsewhere.

Matt

Profile photo of Sharon ForrestSharon Forrest
    @sharon-forrest

Thanks for your replies, Matt and Catlyst.   The defense service housing maintenance charge is now 16.5% and they say annual rental yield is 3.58%, I don't know if this is a good rate or not as I have nothing to compare it to. Do you know what a reasonable rental yield percentage should be?  Thanks Sharon

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold

Hi Sharon

When you look at buy and hold property, from a very simplistic view point there are two main factors to consider.

Rental Yield

This is the rent you will receive each week as a percentage of the overall purchase price.

To use Steve's '11 second rule' if you take the current interest rate and add 1%, that will reveal the rental yield you require to have a cash flow neutral property.

So, although your specific weekly return is affected by other factors such as deposit, on-going property management costs etc etc on a very simplistic level, a 3.58 % rental yield is going to provide a fairly negatively geared property.

Capital Growth

This is the forecast growth of the property.

Eg. If the property is valued at $300,000 and is forecast to grow at 5% per year, the property is forecast to be worth the following;

Purchase – $300,000.00
    Year 1 – $315,000.00
    Year 2 – $330,750.00
    Year 3 – 347,287.50
    etc

So, to wrap it all up. Instead of looking at the Defense Housing and saying is 3.58% a good yield, I would be asking the following;

1) Is 3.58% rental yield + X % forecast capital growth a good overall investment?

2) If i answered yes to the above question, i would then ask what is my after tax cash flow going to be at the end of each week and can i afford to fund the property if it is negatively geared?

Matt

Ps. For comparison purposes, Residex produce a 'best rent' report for $295 that lists the Top 100 suburbs that have a median rental yield of 5% minimum and a forecast capital growth of 5% pa minimum…    

Profile photo of Sharon ForrestSharon Forrest
    @sharon-forrest

Thanks sooo much Matt, that information is great as it puts things into perspective for me.  I'm so glad I came across this site!

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

3.58%. haha. That's laughable. I wouldn't touch it.

I wouldn't even look at a property under 6% unless it had potential to value add.

Good explanation Matt!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.