All Topics / Help Needed! / Anyone have a Commonwealth Home Loan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of propertymistropropertymistro
    @propertymistro

Hi all,

I recently got a Commonwealth home loan (standard variable).  I have also opened an offset account to put extra money into  to reduce the interest etc. However I find it annoying that they don't seem to allow salary pays etc to go straight into the offset account and I also cant pay straight from the offset account into the loan.  The money has to go into another account.  Has anyone worked out the best way to earn good interest on their money while it is in transition from another account into the offset account and into the loan.  I also have a Commonwealth credit which I plan to pay off monthly before interest kicks in, so I want to tie paying this off into whatever system I work out with this new loan.  Be nice to be able to set something up that efficiently earns me the best interest.  Okay…i'm guessing someone out there has come up with a good system…that they have had success with.  Cheers for your replies….

Profile photo of Dan WaringDan Waring
    @dan-waring

Hi propertymistro,

If you have Netbank, you can see the BSB and Acc Numbers. With these, you can have your Salary paid straight into the H/L so it will be 'reducing' interest straight away (its not something the Banks will advertise). If you don't have Netbank, give Phone banking a call to get the BSB for the Homeloan.

Regards,
    Dan

p.s I've had a few Commbank loans and it works with all the standard variables… just note that you will have to pay a Redraw fee if you don't have the Wealth package as you will want to redraw however much to pay of the C/card.

Profile photo of propertymistropropertymistro
    @propertymistro

Hi Dan,
    Great post.  I looked on netbank before and saw an account number but no BSB but I will re-check on this one.  I have the wealth package also.
    Thanks.

Profile photo of propertymistropropertymistro
    @propertymistro

Thanks Dan,
    I just checked and yes there is a BSB.  Your post was extremely helpful. Have a great week!

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Dan,
    I'm in a similar position to propertymistro. I'm with the CBA and have a wealth package with them. I have two investment properties that are io variable and a redraw facility. I want to change this with them so that I have an offfset account against one of the properties. Does this mean that I can't use their offset account as other banks (ie have my salary/rents, etc credited into the offset)? Many thanks in advance!
    Regards,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

The CBA Misa account is not fully transactional so in essense not user friendly.
    In my opinion you can do better.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

The MISA account number is the same as the home loan however different BSB.
    If you have both the BSB and the account number I am pretty sure you can deposit via transfer from another bank – try it with $10.

If that works simply give the BSB and Account no for the MISA to your employer for salary payments etc.

you can also salary credit to all CBA loans directly however there might be tax issues when you redraw for alternative uses.

I still support (as I’ve said in another post) not using your offset as your main trading account. If your goal is to not pay down your loan and put funds in offset instead – it can be harder to budget when you have your salary go in to an offset with 100k available. If you use an everyday bank account you can separate your day to day cash from long term savings.

The cost of keeping average of say $1000 out of offset is minimal. You can also use a cc to pay your bills and get online once per month to transfer funds out of the MISA and pay your bill.

There are still a lot of areas CBA is more flexible than other majors (mostly credit policies / waiver of policies) Depends how badly you want a fully transactional offset. Westpacs is great however you will lose more on rates that you will gain from the account.

Banker

Profile photo of jacqui_03jacqui_03
    Participant
    @jacqui_03

I agree with Banker. You don’t need every investment loan with fully transactional offset account. I think it’s important to have a fully transactional offset account on your non deductible debt but the MISA still works fine if you just want to park money in there to save interest. There are no monthly fees attached and minimum deposit and withdrawal is $500. I have both products and I like features of both.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I find the MISA a tad frustrating (I have one set up). Like Jacqui said, if your simply parking surplus cash it works fine but if you want to transact frequently, particularly small amounts, it can be a pain. Here's some info on it http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/home-loans/fact-sheets/Mortgage_Interest_Saver_Account.pdf

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.