All Topics / General Property / Tenants & Garage Door Locks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of bjb007bjb007
    Participant
    @bjb007

Hi,

I’m having an issue with our Managing Agents telling us the tenants require keys to the garage roller door and side entry door.

Now I’ve just purchased this property and the locks weren’t working at settlement and no keys were provided….hey I was cool with that, who cares?

Well, apparently the Agents are telling me I have to provide working locks and keys to garage doors…..???!!!!

Has anybody else struck this or do you know where I can find out if this is in fact some sort of legal requirement on my behalf? If it is, it means I won’t be purchasing any more IP’s until I have an assurance that every lock works and comes with a key…sheesh.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Well of course – the property wouldn't be secure would it? Are these new tenants since you have purchased the property?

Chalk it up to lesson learnt – my gf purchased a IP and there was only a rear door key. Sneaky agent had got there early to open up from the back. Same gf recently purchased another IP and the dishwasher and oven weren't connected, they had put new ones in to snazzy up the property for sale – just never got then connected?

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Ahh geez!

Just wear it and move on. The energy expended on something so small.

The other thing that will come out of this is a relationship with your managing agent and the tenant. Handle this the right way and your managing agent will put you in the good books and the tenants will think of you as a good landlord who will fix an obvious problem and not a cheapskate. Handle it the wrong way and the agent will roll their eyes every time they deal with you and the tenants will move out at the end of the lease.

This is an opportunity to build a nice solid relationship with your agent so that they know you and look after your property really well.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of bjb007bjb007
    Participant
    @bjb007

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes I will chalk it up to another lesson in the investing game lol.

Our Agent has in fact confirmed with Consumer Affairs that all outbuildings must have locks and keys supplied to tenants.

It’s just a bummer on top of all the purchasing costs, waiting for a tenant, fixing a few other issues already and now this one.

I won’t be stewing over it – we actually are really good Landlords giving all our tenants what they request (within reason)…..so I must away and ring a Locksmith now…..doh!

:-)

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Good on you bjb007,

I'd get the agent to ring the locksmith…… :)

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.