All Topics / Overseas Deals / MIAMI (ad)VICE

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 395 total)
  • Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

1% rule is pure folly once you leave the 100k price range. Very few rentals at 2 to 3k. those renters will do owner contract purchases or will rent much nicer homes than what your buying.

JLH

Profile photo of JackFlashJackFlash
    @jackflash

Shadow Government Statistics offers a more accurate picture of employment and inflation than do officially rigged stats

http://www.shadowstats.com/

Obama’s new Jobs Act solution is nothing more than a pre election stunt. Expect to see much more of this rubbish leading up the long and painful US Presidential Elections. There is zero chance this will pass. Instead it will be used by both sides to batter each other politically.

The US again is near out of money with less than $45B supposedly left in the public purse. More debt ceiling madness coming and more debt.

US dollar loosing its safe haven status due to political incompetence and no real change in the negative directing of economic indicators.

Nationally the US is bankrupt. Individual States are in an even worse condition with no ability to print their own money. On average several States declare bankruptcy every year. States run some of the dodgiest books in the country.

Meridith Whitney has researched state finances and found them a major threat to financial stability.
    http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/28/meredith-whitneys-new-target-the-states/
    (Note Florida ranked as 6th worst state)

Quote:
    Shawn Tully
    The housing crash not yet realized its full impact on budgets in the most vulnerable states. It’s the banking crisis all over again – and it’s time to stop ignoring it.

China is running a financial war against the US. Has been for years. It resembles something like the Cold War that eventually bankrupted Russia. This time the US is on the receiving end. China and Russia are manipulating pressure behind the scenes to eventually end the US’s strangle hold on the reserve currency. Expect to see them loose this reserve status within the next decade. When this happens the US will effectively become a 3rd world country.

International investors holding US assets are at risk of substantial losses due to currency debasement. Short term fluctuations are likely in the short term as global volatility is exacerbated with a breakout in currency wars. Swiss and now the Japanese have promised aggressive currency debasement in the last few days.

A tough market to invest in. Even tougher to turn a profit.

Jack

Profile photo of JackFlashJackFlash
    @jackflash
    JackFlash wrote:
    The US again is near out of money with less than $45B supposedly left in the public purse. More debt ceiling madness coming and more debt.

Wonder of all wonders. The Senate approved another $500B without so much as a wimper. That’ll last about 4-5mths apparently. $100B is earmarked for the Afghan war.

Some news from The 5 Minute Forcaste;

“Banks in Kentucky are now lending as of about eight weeks ago,” writes a reader cluing us in to a potential shift in money flows. “Some at 0% down. Several at 3.5% down. Low rates, fairly low origination fees.

“My guess is the federal bank examiner folks were directed to lean on their banks to get loans moving or they were going to make life miserable for them.

“If you look at the new job postings on a service like Topix in my area you see a large percentage of the very recent postings are for the Army National Guard, the Veterans Administration Hospital and other government or government-supported agencies. They did not need anyone two months ago, but now they need a lot of new employees.”

“Seems like the current administration has commanded its minions to create jobs so unemployment will go down. It does not matter whether they need new people or not. It does not matter whether the new loans meet the bank’s normal lending criteria or not. Obama needs the reported numbers to improve if he hopes to be re-elected.”

Looks like the political shenanigans are are off to a good start for the big election ….. it’s a mad mad world for sure!!!

Profile photo of sundirtwatersundirtwater
    Participant
    @sundirtwater

Hi Steve,
    It's now been over a year since you first posted this excellent thread and I'd love an update on how your thinking/stragey has developed since you first investigated, visited and the returned to live permamently in Miami? An update on your most recent purchase and also whether you have bought any more SFHs on the island (or are you looking into Section 8 homes in the city?

Profile photo of themagnix28922themagnix28922
    @themagnix28922

Hi Steve,

I'm based in Japan and have a company here but I'm aussie. I'm heading to Miami around April 2nd 2012 to start my property search. Would love to hear how you have gone over there. Also if your somewhere in Asia lets catch up for a beer and talk RE / Asian Business.
    Cheers
    Marcus in Japan

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Hiya, Marcus, was pleased to see another Japan-affiliate here.

My emails [email protected]– would love to chat and maybe catch up when I’m over- where in Japan are you based? (I’ll be in Fukuoka, Shizuoka and Osaka this month…)

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

Lots of posts and have enjoyed this thread,  have a few questions for British Buyer

How do you live in USA, permanent residency or what ?,how does this work 
    Have you been able to source finance?

WI

Profile photo of British BuyerBritish Buyer
    Participant
    @british-buyer

Hi Fellow Readers

Sorry for not posting for so long.  Have been wrapped up in my own life (ie. properties) here in Miami.

I've been living in Miami since January of last year.  It's been quite an experience so far.  We (myself, wife, and two toddlers) all have 6-month tourist visas, so we've had to leave the country twice so far (took short 2-week vacations).  Coming back through US immigration was quite stressful, but surprisingly uneventful: both times we were asked our reason for coming and for how long we intended to stay, and both times I said six months because of wanting to buy distressed properties.  The immigration officials thought that was a good idea, and stamped our passports accordingly.

Having been here for over a year now, I can say I've learnt a hell of a lot about this country, this city, its people, its problems, and even about myself.  However, this is not a forum about philosophy or politics, so I shall stick to property.

I waited half a year to finally get my hands on My Dream Property: a small house with big waterfrontage on the northern end of the island where Miami Beach is.  That long wait nearly drove us nuts, but it turned out the wait was worthwhile.  I took possession of the house on August 1, and was extremely busy thereafter.  I ploughed my way thru a hell of a long learning curve, incorporating foundations, sea walls, sewerage systems, roofing, landscaping, plumbing, tiling, flooring etc. etc.  I soon learnt that this country is nothing like China (where I would never get involved in renovations beyond signing contracts with companies).  Because of ridiculously high labor costs (compared to China), I had to buy a pick up truck, a hell of a lot of tools (including such electrical tools as a hammer drill, circular saw, cement mixer, pressure washer, tile cutter, makita, and jack hammer).  Admittedly, I didn't HAVE to learn how to do things on my own, but I figured it would be best if I did, considering my long-term goal of buying more than a dozen single-family homes.  Also, I surmised that only by getting personally involved in the renovations could I ascertain how hard a particular job was, and how much I ought to be paying should I decide to outsource.

I spent about 3 months making my Dream House habitable, while keeping an eye out for other properties.  I made several bids on other REOs during that time, but wasn't prepared to go higher than the highest bidder (each time I used the listing agent, so I knew what the highest bid was).  Finally I saw a property that I figured I could get for just 20% of its highest ever price ($700K), and just under half of its current value.  The reason the property was so cheap was largely because it had been uninhabited for several years (just like my Dream House) and was therefore in serious need of repair.

I've now been working on this property all day for two months (along with my faithful assistant Victor, from Cuba, whom I pay $90 in cash at the end of each day), and only now am I starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have also got an offer pending for a large (but not waterfront) home in Miami Beach (I offered $320K).  I expect to close next week.

Lessons:
    1. Renovating in Miami is either very expensive (if you pay others) or very troublesome (if you do it yourself).  For this reason I have only purchased two homes in the past 15 months. 

2. REOs are currently very scarce (they have been since October 2010).  I'm no longer convinced that a tsunami of REOs is waiting out there, soon to hit the market.  The best bargains were back in 2010 when the banks were panic selling.  Right now they've already written off their losses (the REOs have been cleared off their books), so they're in no rush to offload cheap REOs.  I believe the market has bottomed, though I'm not sure it will head up soon or just continue to scrape along the bottom.

3. Dealing with Miami building department inspectors is enough to give you a heart attack.  Do NOT buy a house with any violations pending.  The inspectors will be circling like vultures.  This is the mistake I made on House No.2.

4. Building up a nice inventory of single-family homes takes a hell of a long time. This is why Warren Buffett said he'd love to buy several hundred thousand of them, if he just knew how to find them, and how to manage them.

5. Rental returns are very decent if you pay cash for your property (between 6% and 12%).  However, if you get a mortgage your lender will force you to buy all sorts of insurance (flood, wind, fire etc.) which can cut down your rental return by several percentage points.

My current plan is to just buy with cash.  This is probably a stupid idea, considering how low current prices are.  But my motives are purely egotistical.  I despise being at the mercy of US banks, which by extension puts me at the mercy of US insurance companies.  Therefore, I shall be returning to China at the end of April to sell a few properties, and then come back to Miami after the sweltering summer heat (ie. October) to buy a few more houses (cash only).

Hope this helps
    Steve

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

sounds like a grand adventure and your strapping on the contractors belt.

Inventory is market specific… however as we all have been posting,,, inventory is way down,, and the free run of US properties at least right now is not as easy as it was a few years back…

those that can only source houses once they get to RE agents will find the buying much tougher… There are still deals to be had just have to know how to source them and have the conduits in place for those deals.

JLH
    http://www.hardwaresupercenter.com  buy all your rehab items for 20 to 80% off big box prices.

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

Hi BA

Welcome back.

Care to share how much your dream home cost and what was the last sale on this property, purely looking at this as curiosity on what % you anticipate making/saving.

Also, interested to know whether you have looked at the US tax implications with regards your 6 month stints?

WI
    http://www.wheredopuppiescomefrom.com.au/australian-puppy-mills/

Profile photo of sundirtwatersundirtwater
    Participant
    @sundirtwater
    British Buyer wrote:
    Hi Fellow Readers

Having been here for over a year now, I can say I've learnt a hell of a lot about this country, this city, its people, its problems, and even about myself.  However, this is not a forum about philosophy or politics, so I shall stick to property.

I'm up for some of your general observations Steve. The context within which you are doing this is significant given the economic state of the US…

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

Thanks for the update Steve! I’ve been following your updates religiously since 2010 and it’s great to hear you’ve settled here and are still investing.

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

…and I would agree with your observations about Miami bureaucratic matters..

Profile photo of KimberlyKimberly
    @kimberly

Anyone else currently in Miami investing? About to head over in 2 weeks' time.

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz
    Kimberly wrote:
    Anyone else currently in Miami investing? About to head over in 2 weeks' time.

I’m always keen to network with fellow investors, so I’m putting my hand up! 2 heads are better than one.

By the way this forum is great for unbiased, real info on all things Miami: http://forums.miamibeach411.com/forum.php

Profile photo of mihovimihovi
    @mihovi

As Miami is one of the nicest areas on the Eastern coast it is recognized as being one of the worse rental investment solutions in the US. With very high rental vacancy, lots and lots of prospective investors are turning away from wasting their money in Miami.
    Personally, I have friends who invested in Miami's high risers and lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. There are tons of brand new developments unoccupied for years. One of my best friends (whose cousin is a  real estate broker in Miami) bought 2 apartments in one of those brand new buildings (with two or three tenanted units, so far) in 2006. The down payment was $108K . He couldn't find anybody willing to rent them so he quit on paying the mortgage and lost the ownership. This is not the only story I know about Miami, try to search on Yahoo.com and you'll find more. Be careful.
    Read my posts on https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/overseas-deals/4344313

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz
    mihovi wrote:
    As Miami is one of the nicest areas on the Eastern coast it is recognized as being one of the worse rental investment solutions in the US. With very high rental vacancy, lots and lots of prospective investors are turning away from wasting their money in Miami.
    Personally, I have friends who invested in Miami's high risers and lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. There are tons of brand new developments unoccupied for years. One of my best friends (whose cousin is a  real estate broker in Miami) bought 2 apartments in one of those brand new buildings (with two or three tenanted units, so far) in 2006. The down payment was $108K . He couldn't find anybody willing to rent them so he quit on paying the mortgage and lost the ownership. This is not the only story I know about Miami, try to search on Yahoo.com and you'll find more. Be careful.
    Read my posts on https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/overseas-deals/4344313

Yes, a lot of money was lost in Miami between 2006 and 2010! Luckily these losses present some great opportunities in 2012…

http://www.miamire.com/miami-in-the-news

I think examining the data, trends and stats is paramount. Numbers never lie.

Participant
    @british-buyer

I'm back in Shanghai, as of two weeks ago.  My reasons for returning were two-fold: my six-month US visa was up, and I want to sell some Chinese property and move the money into the Miami real estate market.

First some observations about Chinese property:
    I can sell my small 2 bedroom Shanghai apartments in the Middle Ring for close to $500,000.  Shanghai is divided into 3 zones: the Inner Ring (downtown), Middle Ring (somewhat removed), and Outer Ring (the far-flung suburbs).  My friends in New York just sold their apartment (a spacious 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom) in a trendy neighborhood for $470,000.  Conclusion: Shanghai property is way higher than its New York counterparts. 
    Prices of everything in China are shooting up.  People are much much wealthier on average than just a few years ago.  It seems that the reduction in the US middle class is the gain in the Chinese middle class.
    I'm no longer of the opinion that the Renminbi is undervalued.  It's not going to rise any further.
    Expect some serious inflation across the globe in the next decade.  The Chinese working class's average salary increased 22% last year.  Soon nobody is going to do factory work at low wages.  Everything that's Made In China must get more expensive.
    Your average Shanghainese person is loaded with cash (as they are in Beijing, Tianjin, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Dalian, Wuhan, Chongqing, Changdu, and Nanning, to name just a few of China's monster cities).  If you're living anywhere that Chinese like to visit, expect property prices to keep their value, if not rise further.

Now on to Miami.
    In the week before I left I was able to close on a third property (single-family home).   That means I now own 3 houses in Miami, none with a mortgage, so I can't advise on the ability of foreigners to get loans.

All three houses have been extremely easy to rent out.  I probably didn't ask enough, because each house went under contract within the first 48 hours of going on the MLS.

Here are the stats:
    House 1: bought for $331K (2 bed/2 bath).  Spent about $50K to renovate.  Rented out for for $2,600 a month. 
    House 2: bought for $120K (3/2).  Spent about $30K to renovate.  Rented out for $2K a month.

House 3: bought for $320 K (4/3). Doesn't need any renovations.  Rented out for $2,800. 
    The property tax for all of the above houses is the same: about $500 a month ($6,000 a year).  I plan to get a lawyer to try to bring down the tax for House 2, because it's too high for the value.

Here are the rent returns after property tax has been paid:
    H 1: 6.6%
    H 2: 12%
    H 3: 8.6%

The reason House 1 has a lower return is because it has a beautiful waterfront, which pushed up the buying price (the house is small and only has 2 bedrooms).  Renters won't pay a much higher premium for looking at the bay, but once I've added a bedroom I intend to sell the property for much more than $1 million, because buyers will appreciate waterfrontage more than renters will.

House 2 has a fantastic rent return because I took a huge chance on the house.  It had a lot of violations on it, which put off most buyers.  I had to do the entire renovation project under the nose of the city building inspectors, which was very stressful.  But in the end everything worked out perfectly, and the renovation costs and fines came in far under budget.  During the process I bitched and moaned (and got both angry and depressed at times) but now I have only good things to say about the Miami Building Department.  They aren't out to screw people.  They just want to make sure houses are as safe as possible, lest another super-hurricane hits (there was one about 18 years ago).

House 3 is an average house in a good area (Miami Beach) near to great schools.  It's the house that took the least effort (practically none).  It isn't in my nature to make such boring purchases, but my time was running out and I wanted to have the money invested instead of sitting around until I return to Miami.  Although House 3 is a solid investment and has a pretty good rent return, it is the house (in my opinion) that will increase in value the least.  I'm sure I will not sell Houses 1 and 2 for anything less than 3 times what I paid (including the renovations), but I will be happy to just double my money on House 3.

I should add that Houses 1 and 2 were REOs (foreclosures) bought from Bank of America, whereas House 3 was just a regular sale, bought from a divorcee who wanted to move on.  Another reason I went for the House 3 is because REOs were getting almost non-existent in the past year, at least in the few areas I was interested to buy in.

If you're in a rush, and don't have the time to wait for and renovate an REO, then you should consider that you will most likely end up buying a property with the same stats as House 3 (that's if you're buying in that price range). 

My plans for the future: spend 2 months in Shanghai selling a few condos, then fly to Sichuan province and drive up into Tibet for 3 months, by which time the hideous summer heat in both Miami and China will have passed, and then I'll return to Miami (with wife and kids) to buy a few more houses.  When the money has all been spent I might think about taking out mortgages on the Miami houses, so as to get cash to make further purchases.  The problem with mortgages are that the banks will charge a premium when lending to foreigners, and they'll demand that you purchase 3 kinds of insurance: Homeowners, Flood, and Wind, which come to a total of about $600 a month if you buy near Miami Beach.  After paying your property tax, your insurance and your mortgage (from the rent) you will be lucky to break even.   But then again, you'll own a lot more properties, so if the price doubles you'll make a hell of a lot more profit in the long run.

Participant
    @british-buyer

I've just been reading some of the disturbing news about ruthless (or just plain stupid) people who've set up companies to help foreigners invest in US property. Well, I can't say I'm surprised: where there's greed for exaggerated profits, someone is bound to at least try to separate those less smart or more honest than themselves from their money.

No doubt what I write now will seem nothing short of arrogant, but what the hell.

The only jobs I ever had were in my 18th year on this planet, one being a 3-month stint in a furniture factory in Newcastle (<moderator: delete language> UK), and the other as a porter in Harvey Nichols (a snobby department store in London). I then went on walkabout for much of the next decade, living off practically nothing and learning how far I could stretch a dollar. Then I started my first ever business, made a fair bit of money, and then lost almost all of it buying Nasdaq stocks.

That brought me to age 30, by which point I'd finally graduated from the commerce department of the university of life. I now knew that I needed to make money in a sustainable manner, then figure out how to make that money work for me without gambling it away on casino-like investments. My friend, however, who has a Masters degree in Economics, got a managerial position working for Merck (the pharmaceutical multinational) and then paid some idiot investment adviser to tell him where to put his savings. I'd be interested to know who has earned more over the past 10 years, him or I. Perhaps we're neck and neck. The difference is that I earned my own money from my own business, and thought long and hard how to invest it (90% on investment properties). He took all his holidays staying in 5-star hotels in various places around the world, whereas my wife and I spent ours overseeing the renovation and decoration of our properties. The result: I retired several years ago, whereas he owns one house in Sydney that he'll be paying off for at least the next ten years (I hope his stock portfolio has recovered somewhat, because back in 2009 he was lamenting that he’d lost half his net worth).

Now, I'm not so arrogant as to say I'm happier than him. But this forum is about property investment, with the bottom line being returns. And when it comes to overall wealth, my investment properties are worth many times more than his stock portfolio.

The secret is to understand the value of your own money. People who read financial websites and newspapers easily get the wrong impression about investing, because the media love to publish articles about the likes of Soros, Zuckerberg, Gates, and Slim. Even the negative news (eg. about Madoff) leaves the impression that it's very easy to make a killing investing your money, so long as you have the guts to take the leap. Well, what the media usually doesn't bother to cover is just how many millions and millions of small fry lose their life's savings each year. In fact, that's one thing that struck me when I first went to Miami: so many people's tales of the past 5 years are one's of Riches to Rags.

Lesson: you should take your money VERY seriously. It's only yours for as long as you have your eye on the ball. My own parents are far from wealthy during their retirement, although they did everything by the book. Sadly, my father allowed his pension to be invested by his university (he was a doctor) and they did a shoddy job of it.

So here’s why I think it’s unlikely you will find a company that can successfully assist people overseas to buy decent properties in the US: Most investors want to buy for around $50K. This means you’re either buying in poor cities, or in the poorer part of big cities. Either way, your tenants will be quite dodgy. Also, the houses will probably need a lot of work, which isn’t cheap in the US. The result is that the investments will have too many unknowns (such as the direction in which the city and/or the neighborhood are headed, and what the quality of your tenants will be).

People who’ve set themselves up as buyers in the US know that you will see about 10 so-so properties for every good deal. Logic dictates that they will probably palm off the so-so deals to their overseas clients, and snap up the good deals for themselves (which they’ll then flip to make a quick buck). You, the overseas client, will be left with an iffy investment. Perhaps it was worth the $50K that the company convinced you to buy it for, but after they’ve taken their $10K off the top (and believe me, they’ll think of ways to get it, either by truthfully calling it a finder’s fee, or by overstating the renovation costs), you now own a 50K property that you paid 60K for. And now begins the whole saga of renting it out for 7 years until the price rises enough for you to profit from it.

I don’t think I’m stating anything that the more discerning reader doesn’t already know. Besides, if property prices do double over the next decade, then you’ll have a 100K property you paid just 60K for. That’s why the most important thing is whether it was rented out for all of that time, which leads back to whether or not you lucked out when choosing your city and suburb.

I’ve been buying in Miami’s more upscale neighborhoods, hoping that I’ll be able to rent to higher quality people, and thus avoid nightmares such as evicting people, or finding my houses trashed. Even though, my friends and neighbors in Miami have all warned me to expect the worst from my tenants.

The US is a dog-eat-dog country. So if you’re a poodle that’s been pampered in a cushy and stable job all your life, don’t be so stupid as to cash in your pension to try to run with the wolves.

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

“The US is a dog-eat-dog country. So if you’re a poodle that’s been pampered in a cushy and stable job all your life, don’t be so stupid as to cash in your pension to try to run with the wolves.” Hahaha love it. Very true.

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 395 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.