All Topics / Value Adding / 2 bed unit close to cbd, adding value through renovations tips please.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of g0biing0biin
    @g0biin

Hi all
    I have a 2 bed unit close to cbd. The tennat is about to move out currently paying 220$ per week. The real estate agent said that the rent could be increased to $230 a week. Now it has a nice and modern look but I havent really done any work to it in the last few years and the place might be looking a bit dull.

I want to try and do small (cheap) ;) renovations, eg paint etc. But I was also thinking maybe I could make it a little bit more executive style to try and command higher rent.

Does anyone have any tips here? I read some tips from another site below.
    Thoughts ? Questions ?
    Cheers
    g0b

Additional Value Adding

• It is often the little touches which make your property stand out from the rest and increase the rent.Consider items such as:
      • air conditioners
      • flat screen tv’s
      • dishwashers
      • microwave ovens. 
    • These items don’t cost much to install and they add value to your property and increase the rent. They are also claimable on depreciation.
    Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

A coat of paint would be about the extent of it.

Consider this, you are going to be getting an extra $10/wk ie $520 pa. 2 weeks lost rent while getting the place painted = $440-460, agent's letting fee $220+lease prep + gst, advertisement $150ish.

It will cost you close to $800 today to recoup $10 for the next year and a half, so unless you will be getting a substantial uplift in rent, is it really going to be worthwhile?

Profile photo of g0biing0biin
    @g0biin

Yes very good points Scott No for sure.
    However I was thinking of what other imporvements I could make to get that rent higher than the $230 a week.
    I am a pretty quick painter and figure it would be about a weeks work or less.

You also have to take into account these things.
    A) Freshly painted would make it easier to rent out now and in the future
    B) Would command a higher rent now and in 6 months
    C) You wouldnt need to out lay so much in another 5 years cause you are keeping the place up to date
    D) Higher rent = higher selling price = more leverage equity from the bank

Has anyone actually tried having a flat screen TV added to their unit ?

Cheers
    g0b

Profile photo of Navy_cashNavy_cash
    @navy_cash

Hi g0biin,

I've done a few renos on 2 bedroom units and firstly let me tell you that despite the work it is absolutely worth it. The first was a standard 2BR unit, 1970's, old carpet, blinds ect. When we purchased, the agent suggested we would be looking at a rent around the $200 mark. On settlement day we got to work, we ripped up carpet, took down blinds, scrubbed everything, we painted the place, prepared, sanded and polised the floors, put up new blinds, replaced all door handles, replaced some tiles, new light fittings and landscaped the courtyard. We did this in 8 days (10-12hr days) and it cost around $3000.00. As a result its rented out at $260PW (going to $280 at lease end) and it will not need any work for several years. The second was just a paint and a tidy up that took 3 days but increased the rent by $20PW. We did all of this work ourselves without any formal training or anything like that (we both work in white collar jobs) so it can be done, just a matter of some long days and a sore back.

If you are wanting an idea on a few essentials to have in the place, get a split system air con, (around $2000 installed) heating and cooling will get you extra rent, but something like a Plasma TV is just going to cause headaches, but the best thing (as you have indicated) is a coat of paint. It sounds simple but it makes the place look so much better. A tip when painting, decide on a colour palet that you are happy with, and stick with it for all of your places, (makes touch ups easier) and go for off whites and light creams. But i think the best tip is just get the place clean and fresh, thats what the majority of renters are looking for.

Hope this all helps

Profile photo of qinvqinv
    @qinv

you can get a higher rent but it depends on how much are you able to spend on renovations. make sure that you have everything that is most needed for living, and a new painting could have a nice effect on it. good luck

Profile photo of franblakefranblake
    @franblake

Hi all

Paint definitely and in particular the latest look is to add 2 painted feature walls in bedrooms. They need to be walls that are connected (if that makes sense) not opposing walls and a dark/rich colour is good. Just adds a WOW factor. Painitng should take more than a couple of days – a week at the most. Fresh carpet is good too if needed. You can often get end of rolls really cheap from carpet places. Dishwasher if you can, air conditioning too or maybe just fans throughout. If you can allow pets (body corp may not let you) you can charge another $10 -$20pw just for that. Easy rent.

Get a quantity surveyor to go over your unit so that you maximise your tax deductions. It’s def worth the once off cost ($3-400) cause it’s also tax deductible and will be a 5yr schedule on depreciables plus any building depreciation if it’s less than 40 yrs plus they can back date it for tax purposes if you have not claimed any of this b4.

All the best!
    Fran
    http://www.nakedtruthrealestate.com.au

Profile photo of g0biing0biin
    @g0biin

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I gather thats its getting the right balance without losing to much time or spending to much cash. I think the good clean paint freshen up is a good idea.
    Cheers
    g0b

Profile photo of RnPRnP
    @rnp

Make sure you know EXACTLY who your target market is, this should be aparent if you do good research of the socio-economic makeup of the suburb.  Once you know who is most likely to rent out your property at the increased price you are after then ask a local rental agent what exactly are those kind of renters willing to pay more for.  You'd be surprised how much and agent can tell you with things like this…and ask more than one agent also to get a good idea.    Then figure out if the price of that update is worth it. 
    Amanda

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.