All Topics / Help Needed! / Land locked land

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of MosicLandscapesMosicLandscapes
    @mosiclandscapes

I am looking at buying an old house that is on just over 8500sqm in a rural town center. It is already on 3 titles.

The house is on the front block (with main rd frontage) of approximately 2000sqm and the other blocks are at the back (one is approx. 2500sqm and the other is 4000sqm). Both of these back blocks are "land locked".

Has anyone had any exoerience with this sort of thing? I want to put some sort of access in to the back blocks and just sell them off as is (maybe getting a DA for the 4000sqm block). Would I have to front the cost for a road? Or could I just get an easement in there and then it is the purchasers problem?

Surely being on seperate titles already I wouldn't have to fight too hard to get some sort of access?

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

It'll all come down to the town planner you deal with, and what the surveyor/DA people you choose can design for an easement/access road. Without seeing a cadastral map or RPData map of it I'm only guessing, but if its a wide block (and at 2k m/2 I'd think it might be), you should have ample room to put something down one side, depending on the placement of existing house(s) etc.

Biggest cost would be road work/civil/gutters etc plus extending sewer and power back there I would have thought..

Give what ever council it is a call, tell them what you're considering, see what the feedback is. It should always be the first step in my humble opinion..especially before committing to buy/pay/go to contract etc.

Profile photo of MosicLandscapesMosicLandscapes
    @mosiclandscapes

Yep, just spoke to council. They said it is doable but would have to look at the frontage of the block to make sure it is not too narrow.

She also said that we could sell the back blocks with just the easment in place which would save us road cost but we would probably have to drop the price of the blocks to reflect the fact that there is no road or services. Although I did get a quote on a court and I thought it was fairly reasonable at $80K.

How do you buy something and then have faith that all the planning stuff will go ahead?? Bit scarier than I thought….

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

Welcome to the wonderful world of 'developing' and why developers won't pay big money up front until there's a DA through and they know they can do what they want with a site. That's the risk involved that many vendors don't grasp. Councils can be fickle, greedy, cumbersome and in some cases utterly irrational. Some can also be great and a pleasure to deal with. You just don't know.

Developers etc will use options or development agreements, with subject to DA clauses. In your case, you could offer to settle subject to approval of easement etc. All comes down to the deal and conditions and how you negotiate with the vendor, and your lawyers agreement writing skills.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.