All Topics / Help Needed! / Where to start?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of johnycitizenjohnycitizen
    @johnycitizen

Hi guys,
    I'm a newbie at property investing but very keen to learn to get a portfolio underway. I'm looking at a property in my local area. Its in a pretty good location and should sell for around $310000. It is currently paying close to $300 in rent per week. The property is a 1800m2 with 2 street frontages (front and rear). I'm thinking that a subdivision with a new duplex building on the back lot would be a good idea. Street frontage is 23m wide. Looking on a design site quickly, i saw that building a duplex was going to cost from $350000 upwards. What do you think? What costs should i expect to experience. Any other suggestions

Thanks for your time, look forward to some advise.

Luke

Profile photo of MosicLandscapesMosicLandscapes
    @mosiclandscapes

Hi Luke,

Council fees really surprised me first time round. If you are splitting the title budget around $20,000 in council fees (depending on many different things) and lots of time so more holding costs. Have you made sure the zoning is consistent with your plans? You can check out the property you want to purchase here: http://services.land.vic.gov.au/landchannel/jsp/reports/ReportsIntro.jsp

This is an awesome site which shows any zoning laws or overlays that could affect your property.

Selling and conveyancing fees are also something that can be overlooked. GST can be a killer as well. I would do some serious number crunching and then think about getting a feasibility study done (costs about $500).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

My first thought is that you might want to check if it is actually cheaper to build a duplex than it is two separate houses.  If not, and if space permits, why not just build houses?  I would think the value would be higher than for attached dwellings…

You don't necessarily need to split the title…. it is possible that you could keep the existing dwelling, and build another one or two dwellings on the block, and keep all of them.  If you did that, you'd spare yourself  the subdivision fees.  In this scenario, you'd want to look at what the eventual rental return is for the entire lot, and how much you spent to achieve it.  If for instance you worked out that the eventual rental return would be $600 per week, but you had to spend $800k to achieve it, then it isn't really a great return.  But let's say you worked out that you could generate a return of $900 per week for an outlay of $600k, now that's some nice numbers. 

1800m2 with 23m frontages front and back is a very useful dimension.  Depending on council rules and regulations, you'd easily fit four HOUSES on it!  And if you got creative with double storey townhouses, even more.  Which raises an interesting point…. perhaps you don't have to build anything.  Perhaps you could simply apply for permission to do so, and then resell the entire block to a developer for a profit.  Again, the numbers would have to work…

By the way, where on the block is the current dwelling located?  And what is it made from?  Brick?  Weatherboard?  If it is weatherboard and in good condition but annoyingly positioned in the middle, maybe you could "pick it up and shift it over".  If memory serves me correctly, the May edition of Australian Property Investor Magazine had an article on a young couple that use this "slide and divide" strategy well.  In fact they didn't even build new dwellings in the vacant spaces.  They trucked second hand weatherboard houses in from wherever. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.