All Topics / Creative Investing / Dual Occupancy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of rudra_rrudra_r
    Participant
    @rudra_r

Hi everyone,

I’ve started looking for my 2nd IP and have been looking around the area I live in as it has everything close by (public transport, shopping, schools etc..). I was looking in particular for blocks larger than 900m² as this is the councils minimum requirement for dual occupancy. However when I looked at the councils page it stated dual occupancy does not include a granny flats and that this type of dwelling falls under normal building conditions and size requirements.

What I would like to do is buy a house and build a granny flat (will be connected to the house) and rent this out separately however the council states that there can be only 1 household in both the house and granny flat. I assume this to mean that 2 separate families can’t live there.

I guess my question is, has anyone had any experience with their council regarding something similar?

The reason I would like to go down this road is I believe it can turn a slightly negatively geared property into something positively geared.

Cheers
    Rudra

Profile photo of Positive ResultsPositive Results
    Participant
    @positive-results

Hi Rudra,

I have built duplex properties, purchased properties that have house and granny flat attached which at the time we were told could not be strata titled and have found a way to do it.  A lot can vary on the different council areas, what area are you looking in?

Sometimes with councils you can go through the back door and ask questions in different ways which can turn a negative response into a positive one.

Also be aware of the added on costs such as "contributions fees" I don't like the wording of these as they make it sound as if you are making a voluntary contribution – when it is just a council fee collection method.  Some can be as high as $50K.

Also be aware that subdividing and strata titling can be viewed differently and can save you on some fees.  Where you may not be able to subdivide into separate torrens titles you might be able to strata instead.

Hope this helps
    Paul.

Positive Results | Educating Property Investors / We Find Houses
    http://wefindhouses.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Helping You To Invest With A Purpose To Finish With Successful Results

Profile photo of rudra_rrudra_r
    Participant
    @rudra_r

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, I’m looking in the Logan City Council area at the moment up in Queensland. To be honest I never thought about strata titling till you mentioned it and its something I’m definitely going to look into.

I’ve done research and getting a granny flat put in would cost me about $80k max, however I didn’t include council costs in this. What sort of questions should I be asking the council when it comes to strata titling a house with a granny flat? I’m keen to start engaging the council now so that when I do decide to go down this path I’ve got more knowledge behind me as well as a few contacts within the council. Would a town planner be of any use in this situation?

Thanks again for your comment.

Cheers
    Rudra

Participant
    @positive-results

Hi Rudra,

Although I invest and work with investors all over Australia I am actually based in Queensland myself.

Please send me an email and I will give you the name of one of my contacts who can assist you with all the town planning questions and also can obtain the head works and council costs for you.

There won't be any obligation for you to use them, I don't obtain any financial rewards when I refer to my contacts, I just like to see people get good information from people who also share my culture with how to assist investors.

Kind regards
    Paul.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @rudra_r

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, I’ve just sent through an email. I’ll be sure to keep you and everyone else updated on how things progress as I don’t doubt there are others out there who are interested.

Cheers
    Rudra

Participant
    @positive-results

Hi Rudra,

The email hasn't come through and I just checked my quarantine mail in case it dropped into there.

If you don't hear from me, please email again or give me a call direct.

Looking forward to chatting soon.

Cheers
    Paul.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @rudra_r

Hi Paul,

Just double checked and it should have gone through just then. Also I would be very interested to know how many situations of a house with an attached granny flat you have come across. Also as a slight side note, I’m currently working on a project to split the upstairs and downstairs of my parents place. Our plan was to rent the upstairs (2 bedroom, 1 bathroom), while living downstairs however we want a separate letterbox for the upstairs, do you know if anything needs to go through council for this?

Cheers
    Rudra

Profile photo of TCLinvestmentsTCLinvestments
    Participant
    @tclinvestments

Hi,

I am also looking to build a granny flat at the back of one of my properties.
    Can someone help me find out what is required. I rang the council up and all they said i needed was a building certifier.
    Basically i have the shed/garage that i can use already. I just have to fit it with flooring, ceiling, little kitchenette and bathroom. I am looking to build this for the cheapest price possible.
    Can anyone recommend a good building certifier??
    How much do you think i would need to complete the project??
    Has anyone done this before, and what are the steps that need to be followed.

My House is in Runcorn Brisbane and i am in Sydney

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.