All Topics / Help Needed! / House vs Apartment for investment in Cairns

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of erikamarwooderikamarwood
    @erikamarwood

HI! 
    Ive been looking at buying an investment property in Cairns for the past couple of months and its come to a time where I have to make a decision but can't!

Cant decide between a house 20mins from Cairns city but is across the road from the university or an apartment in the city near the hospital.  Any opinions and suggestions welcome please!

Current options:

31 Carbine Close Smithfield 3 bedroom house, asking price $299,000.  I have negotiated and got them down to $270,000.  Currently leased at $295 p week, good tenants.  Block size is 300m2. Rates $2000, insurance approx $1000

My repayments are $170 per week (based on 7% interest) including rates and insurance. One thing im worried about is it being a house it opens up more opportunites for things break/go wrong.  I called the current leasing agent though and the current tenants have never requested any maintenance or required anything to be fixed in the 8mnths they've been there and are always on time with their rent, so im happy with that. The house is about 15 years old. In great condition although I still have to get the pest and building inspector to officially look at it.

Other option is:

4/239 Lake St Cairns (Reef Gateway Apartments) 2 bedroom apartment $200,000 (asking price was $209,000), body corp $4,500 (very expensive!) plus rates $2000 however its rent is $300 per week.  its currently under lease with the building manager so no agent fees. I dont have to use him though, i can go through a realestate agent if I want a possibly more stable, long term tenant or put it in the holiday unit pool although I feel this is more risky.

My repayments for this including the BC and rates is $131 per week (based on 7% interest)

I know its all about the numbers and the apartment is more financially affordable but is it worth paying $40 more a week for a house with a bit of land?  What do you personally, with your experience see as being a better investment now, for in 5-10 years time?

OR the other option is- wait until something else comes up?  I could potentially always be waiting for the next best thing though. Keen to bite the bullet now!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.