All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Damage from wheelchair and other ‘disability’ modifications

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of steven_packsteven_pack
    @steven_pack

Hi All,

I’ve had a disabled tenant for the last 4 years who is now moving out. I’ve made a couple of minor modifications to the house (shower rail and ramp) to improve access. The rental manager at the time assured me Centrelink would cover these costs at the time she moved out, but I have a new manager now who has not heard of the scheme.

Additionally, the lino is wrecked and the walls completely covered in scuff marks which will probably need to be repainted. All quite expected given the wheelchair, but my question is:

– Does anyone know of any reimbursement from a government agency regarding modifications to improve access?
    – Would I be within my rights to withhold the bond to fix the floor and walls? As in, for a wheelchair user, it’s probably expected wear and tear, but it’s far far worse than you would expect for a non-disabled tenant.

Steve.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Firstly who paid for the modifications?

The cost of reinstatement probably cannot be taken from the bond as you gave consent for the modifications but there is no recripocal provision for remediation.

Are they such that the house is not lettable if they are not removed? Would the property appeal to an older person (or a skateboarding crew) who may not like stair access?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Done a bit of research as this was a hard one to find and come up with –

This may be what you are after
    http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/hacc-index.htm
    and this may help also
    http://www.homemods.info/files/HomeModificationGuidelines.pdf

The scheme looks like it is known as Home and Community Care (HACC) Program

Done by commonwealth department of health and ageing

Profile photo of steven_packsteven_pack
    @steven_pack

Awesome Duckster, thanks for that.

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

In removing the vinyl flooring to replace it there would also be some residual depreciation value in the flooring that you can claim.  If you are looking to replace the flooring throughout the house it may be worthwhile having a scrapping report prepared by a quantity surveyor so that you can write off the vinyl before you throw it out.  The same applies to other depreciable items that may have been damaged, such as curtains, stove, etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.