All Topics / Help Needed! / How long for DA approval in Victoria?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of BrisboyBrisboy
    Participant
    @brisboy

Hey all,

I am planning to undertake a 2 story duplex build in Melbourne in march 2011. The block has already been purchased. How long should I allow for the approvals and have the block subdivided?

Thanks for any assistance.

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

Only way to tell is to ring the local council and ask. Depends on so many different things, there's no clear defnitive answer. Depends on the type of development, zoning, current council approval times, how long it takes your consultants to do their work, any delays, questions that might arise, could be 3 months, could be 18 months.

Give the council in question a call, describe what you want to do, and ask for an indicative time frame for your planning. Then factor in some contingencies and you should be ok.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

You should budget for at least 12 months. You might get it through as quickly as 3 months, but you would be silly to expect that.

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Hmmmm, I've heard four months but mine took nearly two years after going through VCAT.  Even after being given a VCAT order the council still made objections delaying the process by 8 more weeks instead of stamping the VCAT order.  Thankfully my situation is reasonably rare (no good for me though).  Even more thankfully I turned a profit!  It's worth having a good buffer.

Andrew

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of elevation7elevation7
    @elevation7

A lot depends on how aggresive you want to be with your design. If you want to push the envelope with cutting design then definately allow 12 months. If you choose to play it safe and keep the proposal within the tram tracks that is Rescode, then it will mean less resistance and back and forth with council. We have completed dozens of these types of applications in the last 7years. Best was 99 days (Four Townhouses, Bayside Council), even after recieving 4 objections. Worst 18 months and counting (Moorabool Council). Do your homework, get a good designer / architect who is pro active in dealing with council on your behalf.

Best of Luck

Profile photo of BrisboyBrisboy
    Participant
    @brisboy

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advise… Will have to get onto an architect then and get the project moving..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.