All Topics / General Property / Subdivisions – Utilities

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

We have a situation where we purchased an existing corner property with the house on it a couple of years ago The owners kept the vacant rear block and recently sold it.
    The new owners have relocated a beautiful old home onto the block and the plumber is there today connecting their sewerage. Turns out it is our sewerage pipe on their property.
    I quickly checked the Section 32 and there is all the specifications for re-routing the water, electricity, gas. sewerage for the subdivision – but obviously it hasn't been carried out!!
    I spoke to our insurance company and we are not covered for this event. We have asked a plumber to re-route the waste for us asap as we have a tenant in the property.
    But I am wondering what my recourse is – as this shouldn't be impacting us, it was supposed to completed prior to settlement. Should I speak to the Shire Council, The Water Authority, go direct to our lawyer? Or do we just accept it?

Profile photo of akirkakirk
    Participant
    @akirk

Give your solicitor that handled the purchase a quick call!!  They will have the contract on file, and would at least be able to get you started down the right path.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Thanks akirk – have contacted the conveyancer. She is reviewing the files and going to get back to us.
    Interestingly, the government departments I have spoken too all agree this scenario should not of occurred and are pushing back on the seller/developer.
    Anyway it is it a $1600 bill I am not too keen on paying!!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.