All Topics / Help Needed! / question about getting started

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of shaun3055shaun3055
    @shaun3055

Hello Everyone my name is Shaun i am 21 years old as i have no investment property of my own or even my own house for that matter. i am an avid investor, more so interested in the stock market as it is more accessable to me and requires less minimum investment amount. A few years down the would like to buy myself an investment property (or two), I am what you call an 'average joe' I work an average job and get an average 38 hour-a-week wage. My question is (finally) that how does an average person get involved in property investing and i really want to hear the stories of people who have become property investors from working an average job, and how on earth they did it? any response will be greatly appreciated. thank you. shaun.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

First thing – Welcome to the forum
    Well what you need to do is get your finances in order.
    What I mean is do not go out and buy the most expensive car brand new on finance and after spending five years paying it off you have a car with the value of about one fifth what it originally cost you. Or buy a 3d television, ect

I would recommend buying books and learning as much as you can about property investing.
    http://www.businessmall.com.au

One thing to be aware of that is different
     is that you do not have to buy a property where you live if it is investment.
    So you could buy a rural investment to get your foot into the property market.
     It may not go up in capital value but you have a toe in the market.
    Once you have paid it off
    You then have a security you can borrow against or sell to fund the deposit for the next property purchase.

Another method is what is called a joint venture this would require you to network with other property investors so as to share the cost of investment for a property.

Another form of method is what is called active investment. (Property development or renovation)
    http://www.activepropertynetwork.com.au/

The thing with property is the first one is the hardest and once it either goes up in value or you pay it off you have an easier time buying the next one. As you now have extra income helping you pay for the next one and also the security to borrow against.

I am in a similar situation to you as I am not full time employed so I am currently paying down a HECS debt and doing courses so I am ready when all my debt is paid off and then I will start saving toward my next property investment.

Profile photo of shaun3055shaun3055
    @shaun3055

Hello Duckster thank you for being the only one to reply to my post. Your response has been of great value to me and has cleared up a lot of uncertainties for me.

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity
    shaun3055 wrote:
    My question is (finally) that how does an average person get involved in property investing and i really want to hear the stories of people who have become property investors from working an average job, and how on earth they did it?

Hi Shaun,
    Most property investors are average people on average incomes.
    Can I suggest you also pick up a copy (or subscribe) to API (Australian Property Investor) magazine? There are lots of articles every month on how average people do it.

Profile photo of Dazz_996Dazz_996
    @dazz_996

Hi Shaun,
    I would like to suggest reading a few books from Aussie authors, There are a large amount our there however the latest I have read is Think and grow rich in property, if anything this will give you a few ideas. Personally I tend to now look at different options rather than purchase and try to pay it off, however you need to consider your own circumstances. The one thing you should do is find a good accountant who is familiar with property investments and research, research, research don’t just jump into a property just because the agent says it’s a great deal.

Profile photo of latormorlatormor
    @latormor

Hello Shaun,

Hos is it going? Are you more into the Real Estate world?

In my case, I started by reading Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, and that's where I got my interest in Real Estate from. I recently starte to buy the magazines Australian Property Investor and Your Investment Property. I have also attended to some free seminars about Property Investment, to get more ideas, information and general knowledge. There's another book that I want to read "From 0 – 130 properties in 3.5 years" by Steve Mcknight, it's been quite recommended in this network. I am still educating myself !

Good luck

Cheers

Alex

Profile photo of Positive ResultsPositive Results
    Participant
    @positive-results

Hi Sean,

You may consider yourself as average, however the average person does not seek to improve their situation, spend time on educating themselves or set strategies to improve their financial position.  I see hare and tortoise investors all the time and have seen high income earners in a very poor financial position because they spend their money on keeping up with perceived status that they have no money available to direct towards real wealth creation.  They would rather own flashy cars and houses and have a high level of bad debt that traps them into the lifestyle they create.

On a small salary, with good financial management you can develop a good credit history, buy a property that has good cash-flow and as it grows in value or you save for the next deposit then ad another property. 

I started out with a property I purchased for $82K and withing a few years it was valued at $145K.  With the extra equity I was able to  use the banks money to buy another property and so it went. I buy properties where the cash flow is manageable, where the rent mostly looks after the expenses or totally looks after the expenses.  By keeping a balance of your cashflow then you can buy more properties. 

My initial goal was to have 10 properties around the $100K mark that would pay for themselves, then I would effectively have 10 people paying off $1 Mil in assets for me.  From there the properties go up in value so my asset base increased and then I have $2mil in assets and good equity to keep buying more properties.

Set your goals, know what you want to achieve, what your expectations will be and what your real reason for investing is.  Find out what your initial budget is and find properties that fit your strategy within that budget.  If you find something isn't measuring up then you need to rework your strategy so you are in a market ready position, with clarity about what you want to achieve.  This way you wont fall victim to agents that sell you something you don't want, need or can't afford. 

There will be more than one strategy that will work for you, just find one that you are comfortable to start with and then grow as your experience grows.

Happy Investing
    Paul.

Positive Results | Educating Property Investors / We Find Houses
    http://wefindhouses.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Helping You To Invest With A Purpose To Finish With Successful Results

@latormor

Paul,

Your experience has been AMAZING ! It’s fantastic to read things like these, I am more confident everyday that it is possible. How long did it take you to reach the 10th property?

Cheers

Alex

Profile photo of Positive ResultsPositive Results
    Participant
    @positive-results

Hi Alex,

My very first experience in property was to build a duplex pair then moved on to another property so we had 3 in 2 years.  Unfortunately after a divorce and loosing the lot in settlement I found myself starting again.  The second time around after getting back into a financial position to buy a property with limited funds at the time (there is a really good beat the bank story here that I can't share on an open forum) I was able to purchase again.  The 10th property was purchased about 6 years later and over a multiple variety of strategies.  This of course will be different for every investor. 

The most important factor to focus on is your own cash-flow and to find a strategy which will fit in with your budget and comfort zone.  If you are not adverse to risk you can be more proactive in your investing instead of passive. 

Passive is when you buy a house and land package, or a negative geared property in a growth city and then just sit and wait for the market to increase the value.

Active is when you buy a property and manufacture growth in the property value before the market does.  There are many ways of doing this and you need to get good at identifying properties which offer these options for you.  It can certainly fast track your results. 

I hope this helps you some more.
    Happy Investing
    Paul.

Positive Results | Educating Property Investors / We Find Houses
    http://wefindhouses.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Helping You To Invest With A Purpose To Finish With Successful Results

Profile photo of coolharry67coolharry67
    Participant
    @coolharry67

Hi Shaun you are also going to need a good mortgage broker who understands property investment to help you sort out your finances.

@latormor

Thanks again Paul !!!

It's really good to hear different stories to get more knowledge. I would like to combine passive and active strategies, because the "sit and wait" as the only strategy it doesn't sound exciting at all, it has its benefits though. I would like to hold properties but in between do renovations for example. Me and my partner are still young enough to do that., and to be honest with you despite I've been in Australia almost 1 year, I want to retire young !

Cheers

Alex

Profile photo of Johnwilly1000Johnwilly1000
    Participant
    @johnwilly1000

Wat is passive and active etc etc can some explain, does it meanbuy and sell quick etc

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity
    Ninh1000 wrote:
    Wat is passive and active etc etc can some explain, does it meanbuy and sell quick etc

Passive means to buy a house and do nothing but put in tenants to help with the holding costs. You just let it sit there and go up in value over time.
    Active means you do something to it. Maybe you renovate it to add value. Maybe you subdivide off the back yard and sell as a block of land or build a house on it to sell or to keep. That kind of thing.

@latormor

Hu Shaun,

I find this website very helpful to understand the basics of Home Loans http://www.propertyloansonline.com.au 

Have a look

Cheers

Alex

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.