All Topics / Help Needed! / Land needed for a Townhouse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of vinaysalian17vinaysalian17
    @vinaysalian17

Hi,

Does any1 have an idea of how much land is needed to build a 3 bed townhouse??
    Can a 600mtsq land fit 3 Townhouses?

Thanks,

V

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

It depends not only on the design of the townhouse, but also on the council planning restrictions.  For instance, some councils might say "there has to be 25 square metres of private open space (eg backyard)".  Have a chat to your council planning department, and then have a look at some townhouse designs by the major builders to see the dimensions of their townhouses.  That'll give you an idea.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Go to the council's website and find the appropriate LEP and standards for the land that you are considering. All councils will have restrictions on minimum lot size for development, minimum street frontage, proximity to other townhouse/villa developments, open space, parking requirements, garbage storage and unit sizes.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi,

Yeah there is a bit more to it than just the block size. Some councils in Victoria have areas with no minimum block size but the dwelling has to have a certain size private open space, certain parking requirements etc which will eat into the actual amount of space you have to put townhouses. If you have a street address, ring the council and ask them what you can fit there, they will tell you quick enough. For instance you may get 2 TH’s on the block but because of parking provisions one of them has to be a 2 bedroom dwelling instead of a 3 bed.

Good luck

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Remember to ask council about street setbacks (eg you often have to have your property about 5m back from the front of your property boundary), and height restrictions also (you might find that a doublestorey townhouse is not an option for a particular site). 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah this is why we stopped looking in quite a few areas. Height restrictions meant there was no money to be made! The council can also give you a little advice on any overlays or zoning restrictions. You may find that the block is ok, but you have a significant vegetation overlay or something. Then the only tree on the block that you need to get rid of needs to be saved. Have a nice long chat to the council. Then have a nice long chat to someone who has had experience with this sort of thing such as architect or builder.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

The short answer is yes, 600m2 will accommodate three townhouses.
    But of course there are a whole lot of reasons this may not happen, as others have pointed out.

In every municipality there are different zones and overlays that help to determine the preferred density, dwelling types and dwelling diversity for the area.

A proposal for three townhouses on 600m2 would generally be considered high density in a suburban context (probably too high) but in an urban context would be deemed quite reasonable.

So to understand if what you are proposing is achievable you need to first understand the planning strategy for the area.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.