All Topics / Legal & Accounting / First Home Owner Benefits and Engaged Couples

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Phil123Phil123
    @phil123

Hi all,

My fiance and I are not in a defacto relationship (we currently live in separate addresses with our respective parents) and we both qualify as first home owners individually.

Both of us are thinking of buying property each separately and utilise the FHOG and stamp duty exemption. Later on after we fulfil the 6 month residency individually, we plan to move into one property and rent out the other.

Thing is we're getting married in December (already < 6 months away). Would getting married mid-way through the 6 month period in any way affect the validity of the FHOG etc? All the wedding stuff is booked and invites sent out so postponing is not really an option!

When we're married, we would plan to spend half our time in each house (with the title deed, mailing addresses unchanged) until the 6 month period is over.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Phil

Profile photo of littleaussielittleaussie
    Participant
    @littleaussie

Hi,
    Go to http://www.firsthome.gov.au

I'm not sure what State you're in but in Vic it appears that it would be ok as long a the purchases were completed before you marry and moved in together, and you kept your principal places of residence separate. They class spouses as Married or defacto couples which currently you are neither.
    I couldn't find any info on your circumstances so have a look at the web site. Also, I'd recommend asking a solicitor just to be safe.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.