All Topics / Help Needed! / Formulating Rental return

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of T_H_G_HT_H_G_H
    Participant
    @t_h_g_h

Hey Everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to formulate rental return. What methods can be used to do this?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

net return = Net rent/current market value, this is the only formula that you can use to compare 2 different properties as gross return is too variable (ie initial rent/purchase price, or current rent/cmv). The net return also allows you to compare other investments like shares, fixed interest etc as all costs have been factored into the return.

Profile photo of T_H_G_HT_H_G_H
    Participant
    @t_h_g_h

Sorry Scott No Mates,

I am not following you. Suppose you buy a property @ $300,000. How do you know what rent to charge your tenants. Is it percentage of interest on your loan, percentage of purchase price. I am not following the math in your example above.

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold

Mate.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule to calculate what rent to charge…    properties in the CBD will provide a vastly different rental return when compared to properties in mining towns.  

If you intend to buy a property, either ask the agent for a rental valuation (if the sales agent gives you a verbal, knock off a few bucks as they tend to pitch at the high end of what is achievable) or get one of the property managers to prepare a written evaluation for you.

Otherwise, do a search on domain or realestate.com and look for comparable properties.

When your calculating your actual cash in pocket each week, remember to deduct your expenses (strata if unit / townhouse, agent management fees, land rates etc).  

Profile photo of T_H_G_HT_H_G_H
    Participant
    @t_h_g_h

Thanks for the heads up

Profile photo of VK6TVAVK6TVA
    @vk6tva

Best idea is ti check out http://www.realestate.com.au and see what the rents are in the area you are buying in and that will give you an idea how much to charge. If you charge too much then it is more likely the place will be vacant alot, if too cheap then you may have to contribute etc…
    Mel

Profile photo of ScratchScratch
    @scratch

Get a couple of property managers to do a rental appraisal on your property. 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.