All Topics / General Property / No Housing Bubble in Australia…is there?

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 212 total)
  • Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

People cant compare Japan to us, their crash was different. And the US crash is caused by a severe problem exacerbated by the 'housing affordability mob'.

With Japan there were loans organised that were 90 year loans, deferring risk of actual final payment of the loans to your grandchildren or worse. This allowed people to borrow amounts that even they couldnt fathom on the basis that by paying a minimal amount they wouldnt even have to pay it off within their lifetime. There was also construction mobs that would leech money off pre-purchase building sites that would mysteriously go bust. If you have ever heard of the Japanese Mob, they have as much influence over japanese construction, as the italian mob has over the US.

In the US the sheer rush towards a 'housing affordablity scheme' regardless of the ability of owners to pay has let a large amount of housing get built with concession in places where they just wouldnt dream of building. Near deserts .. in the middle of cornfields, old toxic industrial estates. They built for the concessions, they built for the money, and they built big. Thats what led to the whole toxic loans crisis. People who couldnt afford their rent were buying two or three houses, lying about their ability to support the loans and walking away from them when they couldnt pay. This wasnt one or two people, it was thousands. And the worst part about the current crisis is that the same people who wrote the bad loans are continuing with the same procedures. There is a lot to clean up there.

In Australia, we have a situation where we just didnt do anything for 20 years on housing. No proper planning, no guidelines, no centralised transportation extensions, no infrastructure improvements when required (eastlink, citilink, brislink are all public organisation partnerships with government). Now, and only since 1993 .. we have been developing high density residential, and even then, not matching it with facilities or demands. People have seen a large growth in the value of their properties. But its not everywhere. I can verify that inner CBD property has been on a slow 8 year drag on its knees to do anything. Banks for a while would want extended guarantees or better ratios on inner city property. To make an assumption that its all been going up, its just wrong. All this long term dawdling has put immense pressure on city suburban property and development. The developers are busy now soaking up this demand, but developers usually only do residential, not infrastructure. We will reach a saturation point eventually. And this in itself will suppress house and land prices. But at the moment, we've really just got started on this.

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    xdrew wrote:
    People cant compare Japan to us, their crash was different. And the US crash is caused by a severe problem exacerbated by the 'housing affordability mob'.

With Japan there were loans organised that were 90 year loans, deferring risk of actual final payment of the loans to your grandchildren or worse. This allowed people to borrow amounts that even they couldnt fathom on the basis that by paying a minimal amount they wouldnt even have to pay it off within their lifetime. There was also construction mobs that would leech money off pre-purchase building sites that would mysteriously go bust. If you have ever heard of the Japanese Mob, they have as much influence over japanese construction, as the italian mob has over the US.

In the US the sheer rush towards a 'housing affordablity scheme' regardless of the ability of owners to pay has let a large amount of housing get built with concession in places where they just wouldnt dream of building. Near deserts .. in the middle of cornfields, old toxic industrial estates. They built for the concessions, they built for the money, and they built big. Thats what led to the whole toxic loans crisis. People who couldnt afford their rent were buying two or three houses, lying about their ability to support the loans and walking away from them when they couldnt pay. This wasnt one or two people, it was thousands. And the worst part about the current crisis is that the same people who wrote the bad loans are continuing with the same procedures. There is a lot to clean up there.

In Australia, we have a situation where we just didnt do anything for 20 years on housing. No proper planning, no guidelines, no centralised transportation extensions, no infrastructure improvements when required (eastlink, citilink, brislink are all public organisation partnerships with government). Now, and only since 1993 .. we have been developing high density residential, and even then, not matching it with facilities or demands. People have seen a large growth in the value of their properties. But its not everywhere. I can verify that inner CBD property has been on a slow 8 year drag on its knees to do anything. Banks for a while would want extended guarantees or better ratios on inner city property. To make an assumption that its all been going up, its just wrong. All this long term dawdling has put immense pressure on city suburban property and development. The developers are busy now soaking up this demand, but developers usually only do residential, not infrastructure. We will reach a saturation point eventually. And this in itself will suppress house and land prices. But at the moment, we've really just got started on this.

Finally, some rational wisdom. Thanks for the info, and I really mean it.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    fWord wrote:
    …If we had a crash, I'd be waiting for things to stabilise and the next big bubble to come.

Fword, we have had that correction. Being a mug punter, I look at very simple stats & focus on my local area. Analysis of resales of properties bought in 2007 (pre-gfc) reveal about 6-7% growth over the 3 years excluding CPI, so we have gone backwards. However 10 year average growth is over 8%. What’s worse, the median price (my stat & official stat analysis both give $1.5m). Prices are maintained by restriction of supply as distressed sellers are uncommon & monthly stats are variable.

The stats lie & analysis is a crock.

Participant
    @fword
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    Fword, we have had that correction. Being a mug punter, I look at very simple stats & focus on my local area. Analysis of resales of properties bought in 2007 (pre-gfc) reveal about 6-7% growth over the 3 years excluding CPI, so we have gone backwards. However 10 year average growth is over 8%. What's worse, the median price (my stat & official stat analysis both give $1.5m). Prices are maintained by restriction of supply as distressed sellers are uncommon & monthly stats are variable. The stats lie & analysis is a crock.

Prices in another area (in Melbourne's outer-east) that I've been following have also taken a hit in the last months of the last year (subjectively the price has fallen 5% or so), although it appears that demand is picking up again (although as you say, stats do lie). Hard to say where it's going to go from here, but it'd be very interesting to observe. Where do you think we're headed from here, at least in the local area that you're studying?

Profile photo of AussieHousePricesAussieHousePrices
    Participant
    @aussiehouseprices

fWord wrote:
    Then why bring up the point earlier that property values are crashing (or have crashed) in other countries to say there is no truth in the claim that property values will trend upwards? If we have not studied the fundamentals in these countries, we cannot draw any conclusions about the reason for their property market crash, nor make any comparisons between their bubble and ours in Australia.

It’s clear from other countries that property booms can and do end in busts. I would need a good explanation of why that’s not possible in Australia. Otherwise, I’m going to assume that we’re no different. 

fWord wrote:
    But of course, in tying in with the above point, I've learnt that you're not interested in finding out what has happened in other countries to cause a crash, which could give us information to predict the reasons behind the crash you believe we need to have (and which we could indeed have) in Australia.

That’s not true – I’m very interested in how bubbles burst in other countries and have read a lot about them.  What I’ve learnt is that bubbles blow up and they burst. Fundamentals have little or nothing to do with it. In fact, in many cases, the bubble bursting is so powerful, that it affects the fundamentals, rather than the other way around. I’m working on a post to explain how I think bubbles work. Keep an eye out over the next couple of weeks, and feel free to share your thoughts over there. http://aussiehouseprices.blogspot.com/  

fWord wrote:
    Frankly, I don't know how much clearer I can make this. Since when did I say or imply that prices in these areas cannot fall? I am merely stating the obvious: well-located property will always be in demand and will always sell for more, relative to properties in outlying areas that are devoid of something unique, desirable or trendy.

You’re right – that is saying the obvious.  I though there must have been more to what you were trying to say. 

fWord wrote:
    There is no point preaching that the end of the world is coming if we cannot predict with any degree of certainty when and why it is going to occur.

I think it’s still worthwhile investigating the risk of a property crash, and not just believing everything you read in the media.  That way, you can take what you think to be appropriate action.  You can’t predict with any certainty if and when you are going to have a car accident, but you still take out insurance – just in case. 

fWord wrote:
    Under these conditions, there will STILL be people complaining that that $840K house is so unaffordable even though there are cheap $300K houses (worth $500K today, if I might add) sitting everywhere just waiting to be bought.

It’s not rocket science – paying eachother ever increasing amounts for the same thing is in no-one’s best interests.  It’s not good for individuals and it’s not good for the economy.  Yes, the crash will be painful.  But the soon we get it over with the better. 

fWord wrote:
    Additionally, I'm getting the impression that 'bubbles' seem to get bigger and bigger everytime. If we had a crash, I'd be waiting for things to stabilise and the next big bubble to come.

There will always be bubbles.  But I doubt the next one will be in housing.  It will probably take a generation to forget the lessons learnt from this bubble.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Can someone PLEASE  explain to me  about double recession, stock market will never recover; long recession, aussie bank went bankrupt,  etc bull crapt doom and loom?

The facts ARE

All Ords went back to pre GFC level in 18 months
    DOW went back to pre GFC level in less than 18 months

Participant
    @god_of_money

We have INFACT HAD A correction… Sydney property price has been stagnant for the last 6-7 years…. and started to climb last year…but 40% drop.. ?????

Participant
    @aussiehouseprices
    god_of_money wrote:
    The facts ARE

No they didn't.  In fact, they still haven't recovered to pre GFC levels.

Profile photo of melbournitemelbournite
    @melbournite

My two cents worth… whenever there is talk about whether Australian property prices are in a bubble, those with vested interests always say we are not in a bubble, so prices will just stagnate at worst (best?).  If we are in a bubble though, a bubble by definition has to pop at some stage.  The bubble should have burst years ago, and would have burst years ago if the government had not interfered and propped up the bubble, sending it ever higher.  Whenever I talk to friends about the housing bubble here, they look at me as though I'm talking gibberish, or come up with all the usual reasons why prices will stay high e.g. increasing population, foreign buyers, increased demand, higher wages etc.  The thing is, that anyone who bought in the last ten years or before, has done very well, better than they could ever have dreamed!  However, for anyone wanting to get into the property market, if properties continue to double every seven to ten years, then the average price will be $1million dollars soon.  That means that if someone can save a deposit of say, $100,000 then they would have to take out a mortgage of $900,000, plus costs!  Are wages going to go that high in the next few years?  OK, if you already have a property and sell it, then you could buy, with a much smaller mortgage.  But what about the investors – to make it a worthwhile investment, rents would have to increase to levels which are unaffordable.  But, if real estate doesn't go up, then what will be the incentive to buy once investors work out that they could get a much greater return elsewhere?   So, it makes sense that this bubble has to burst.  The government, of course will never touch on this.  They may mouth about making housing affordable, but in order to do so, prices have to come down.  If prices do come down, then perceived wealth falls, and then jobs have to be lost, leading us into recession, and of course no government wants to be one to cause or lead us into recession, and no home-owner wants to see the price of their real estate fall either.  So it is in their interest to push up the bubble, whether it means opening the floodgates wider to foreign buyers, more immigrants, more grants etc.  I might sound as though I'm contradicting myself somewhat, but what I'm saying is that we are obviously in a bubble, the bubble has to burst but the government will certainly try to do what they can to keep the bubble afloat for as long as possible.

Participant
    @aussiehouseprices

Well said Melbournite.

Participant
    @fword
    AussieHousePrices wrote:
    It’s clear from other countries that property booms can and do end in busts. I would need a good explanation of why that’s not possible in Australia. Otherwise, I’m going to assume that we’re no different.

Of course asset booms of any sort can end in a bust, and of course it's possible in Australia. What I was hinting at was: what do you think are the reasons for the predicted property market bust in Australia? And no, 'unaffordability' is NOT a reason. Let's look at the Singapore example again. IMHO, house prices there are obscenely high. But I've never heard of a crash where property prices fell 40% or so. People don't sit around moping about unaffordable housing. They simply live in with their parents for an extended period, rent, or otherwise buy government subsidised housing, which remember, is leasehold for only 99 years.

The way I see it, there's a lot of seriously loaded people out there. If these people are always buying into the hip and trendy suburbs, prices are going to get higher as each of them tries to outbid other parties for a chance to live in these areas. But the regular Australia bloke or sheila does not need to live in these areas and can always look for cheaper housing in areas further out. It's not as though prices are so ridiculous that the vast majority of wage earners need to drive like 2 hours one-way to get to work!

AussieHousePrices wrote:
    You’re right – that is saying the obvious.  I though there must have been more to what you were trying to say.

Glad we're finally on the same page. This would have been evident long time ago if not for simply speed-reading through those paragraphs. After all, there's nothing 'between the lines', so to speak. I don't know at what stage did my words seem to imply that prices in 'good' areas cannot drop. It would have been very foolish for me to even dare to make such a claim. I'm not a property perma-bull.

AussieHousePrices wrote:
    I think it’s still worthwhile investigating the risk of a property crash, and not just believing everything you read in the media.  That way, you can take what you think to be appropriate action.  You can’t predict with any certainty if and when you are going to have a car accident, but you still take out insurance – just in case.

Yes it is a worthwhile practice. It is in keeping with the famous Scout's motto: 'Be Prepared'. If that's the case, are the people who are predicting the property crash actually prepared to buy in when it does occur? Are they prepared for what they need to do if the crash never occurs during their lifetime? Are they hence, adequately 'insured' if things don't quite go the way they think it will?

The media is a funny thing. I have stopped reading the papers for the most part because I am no longer interested in what it says. Firstly, a lot of the news is old. And secondly, as you say, we can't even trust everything that we read these days.

AussieHousePrices wrote:
    It’s not rocket science – paying eachother ever increasing amounts for the same thing is in no-one’s best interests.  It’s not good for individuals and it’s not good for the economy.

This is precisely the nature of business, unless we're talking about a charitable business. That's how coffee beans worth a few cents end up in a cup of our coffee that eventually costs us $2.50 to buy. Is human greed a part of the equation? Of course. But would you rather spend your energy fighting the relentless onslaught of human greed or otherwise learn how to be a part of the game and be able to survive?

AussieHousePrices wrote:
    It will probably take a generation to forget the lessons learnt from this bubble.

Don't be so sure about that. Knowing the speed at which the world is moving, the memories we have of the recent GFC would be merely a shadow of what it really was in just a few years time. Just looking at the stock market for example, it appears the market rebounded over a very short period of time, and this was after people were still talking doom and gloom, and when I was still hearing people say, 'Believe me, things will get worse before they get better.'

Participant
    @god_of_money
    AussieHousePrices wrote:
    god_of_money wrote:
    The facts ARE

No they didn't.  In fact, they still haven't recovered to pre GFC levels.

Please tell me the FACT… not just… "they didn't"

Participant
    @god_of_money
    melbournite wrote:
    My two cents worth… whenever there is talk about whether Australian property prices are in a bubble, those with vested interests always say we are not in a bubble, so prices will just stagnate at worst (best?).  If we are in a bubble though, a bubble by definition has to pop at some stage.  The bubble should have burst years ago, and would have burst years ago if the government had not interfered and propped up the bubble, sending it ever higher.  Whenever I talk to friends about the housing bubble here, they look at me as though I'm talking gibberish, or come up with all the usual reasons why prices will stay high e.g. increasing population, foreign buyers, increased demand, higher wages etc.  The thing is, that anyone who bought in the last ten years or before, has done very well, better than they could ever have dreamed!  However, for anyone wanting to get into the property market, if properties continue to double every seven to ten years, then the average price will be $1million dollars soon.  That means that if someone can save a deposit of say, $100,000 then they would have to take out a mortgage of $900,000, plus costs!  Are wages going to go that high in the next few years?  OK, if you already have a property and sell it, then you could buy, with a much smaller mortgage.  But what about the investors – to make it a worthwhile investment, rents would have to increase to levels which are unaffordable.  But, if real estate doesn't go up, then what will be the incentive to buy once investors work out that they could get a much greater return elsewhere?   So, it makes sense that this bubble has to burst.  The government, of course will never touch on this.  They may mouth about making housing affordable, but in order to do so, prices have to come down.  If prices do come down, then perceived wealth falls, and then jobs have to be lost, leading us into recession, and of course no government wants to be one to cause or lead us into recession, and no home-owner wants to see the price of their real estate fall either.  So it is in their interest to push up the bubble, whether it means opening the floodgates wider to foreign buyers, more immigrants, more grants etc.  I might sound as though I'm contradicting myself somewhat, but what I'm saying is that we are obviously in a bubble, the bubble has to burst but the government will certainly try to do what they can to keep the bubble afloat for as long as possible.

Well… the problem is
    60% of home loan held by only top 20% of income earners

The argument using median house price and median income… does NOT reflect the current market in Australia.

You could NOT stratified using the basic statistic… I think we need some education how to use statistic

Participant
    @aussiehouseprices

god_of_money – charts of the All Ords and Dow Jones are readily available on the internet.  Check them out.

Participant
    @god_of_money

Aussie… can you tell me when GFC happen?

I am not comparing to PEAK of ALL ORDS… (i.e. all time high)
    GFC did NOT happen when ALL ORDS hit the peak

Participant
    @god_of_money

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^DJI#chart2:symbol=^dji;range=5y;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined

Participant
    @aussiehouseprices

fWord wrote:

The way I see it, there's a lot of seriously loaded people out there. If these people are always buying into the hip and trendy suburbs, prices are going to get higher as each of them tries to outbid other parties for a chance to live in these areas.

You keep saying that you’re not implying that good areas won’t fall.  So what is the point of the above sentence?

fWord wrote:

AussieHousePrices wrote:

It’s not rocket science – paying eachother ever increasing amounts for the same thing is in no-one’s best interests.  It’s not good for individuals and it’s not good for the economy.

This is precisely the nature of business, unless we're talking about a charitable business. That's how coffee beans worth a few cents end up in a cup of our coffee that eventually costs us $2.50 to buy.

No it’s not the nature of business to buy and sell the exact same thing from the same place at ever-increasing prices.  Business is involved in producing something or adding value/convenience etc, and selling it for a profit.  

fWord wrote:

Don't be so sure about that. Knowing the speed at which the world is moving, the memories we have of the recent GFC would be merely a shadow of what it really was in just a few years time. Just looking at the stock market for example, it appears the market rebounded over a very short period of time, and this was after people were still talking doom and gloom, and when I was still hearing people say, 'Believe me, things will get worse before they get better.'

Well, we’ll see.  I think when people find out that they’ve been wrong all along that prices always go up, their confidence will be shattered. More importantly, the financial scars from the popping of the biggest asset bubble we’ve ever seen will take a long time to heal.  

Participant
    @fword
    melbournite wrote:
    My two cents worth… whenever there is talk about whether Australian property prices are in a bubble, those with vested interests always say we are not in a bubble, so prices will just stagnate at worst (best?).

Now I had to chuckle when reading this one. That looks like a half-finished sentence. If I may continue from where you left off: '…and those who do not own property, or otherwise have a vested interest in the market crashing (so that they can finally get a foot in the market) say that we are in a bubble, and prices will crash 40% at the very least.'

See how that works? This is another occasion when I'd like to see a show of hands: How many people here who think (or know) property would crash 40% in say, the next 12 months but are still holding on to 'investment' property (ie. a house which they rent out, a house other than the one which they live in) and not planning to sell up soon? Also, how many people here who think (or know) that a property bubble does not currently exist and yet either own no 'investment' property (even though you can well afford to do so), or otherwise used to own them but have sold everything?

The results would be very revealing if we did a poll in this manner and got ONLY honest responses.

melbournite wrote:
    The bubble should have burst years ago, and would have burst years ago if the government had not interfered and propped up the bubble, sending it ever higher.

That's like me saying that I should have gone broke years ago if I had not continued to work, generating more savings for myself. I'm tired of reading about the belief that we are in a bubble. I want to see with some degree of certainty when it is going to occur. If not, I might as well preach, for example, that the end of the world is near. Repent now or burn forever in hell. Why is it that many people do not listen to this belief that the end of the world is coming soon? That's because nobody has been able to, with any degree of certainty, say when it is likely to occur.

It's like the boy that cried 'Wolf'. The more something is spoken about without evidence to substantiate the part, the more dilute its effect becomes.

melbournite wrote:
    However, for anyone wanting to get into the property market, if properties continue to double every seven to ten years, then the average price will be $1million dollars soon.  That means that if someone can save a deposit of say, $100,000 then they would have to take out a mortgage of $900,000, plus costs!  Are wages going to go that high in the next few years?

Let's talk about 'median' prices. Let's say the 'median' price in Melbourne today is $601,500 (as of Dec 2010 from the REIV). And as you say, prices doubling in say, 10 years. That brings us a Melbourne median price of around $1.2 million in 2021. Because this is a 'median', there will be prices higher and lower than this. Nobody is forcing a buyer to look at a house that is priced at (or higher than) the Melbourne metro median. There will be plenty of houses under that price point which people can buy.

To assume that a person should be able to afford something at the median price for Melbourne metro (today, in 10 years time, or in a 100 years time) is folly. Many years ago, a friend in my line of work could afford a house in Hawthorn that then sold for $320K. Today that same house is worth $1.2 million. Is it then fair for me to say, 'Hey, I'm at the same age now as she was when she bought that place, and in the same job, so I should be able to buy a $1.2 million house also.' Truth of the matter is, there are plenty of $320K houses out there still, which is what I can afford to buy, and who knows, today's $320K house could be worth $1.2 million in 20 years time.

Besides, how can we even begin to predict how high wages will indeed be in 10 years time? We just don't know, do we?

melbournite wrote:
    If prices do come down, then perceived wealth falls, and then jobs have to be lost, leading us into recession, and of course no government wants to be one to cause or lead us into recession, and no home-owner wants to see the price of their real estate fall either.  So it is in their interest to push up the bubble, whether it means opening the floodgates wider to foreign buyers, more immigrants, more grants etc.  I might sound as though I'm contradicting myself somewhat, but what I'm saying is that we are obviously in a bubble, the bubble has to burst but the government will certainly try to do what they can to keep the bubble afloat for as long as possible.

I've been reading a very interesting book titled 'Unlocking the Riches of Oz – A case study of the social and economic costs of real estate bubbles (1972-2006)' by Bryan Kavanagh. This is what he says happens during a recession, and I'll quote him here for the sake of discussion:

"Swinging voters, that is, those people not permanently committed to either one of the two major parties, will usually throw the government of the day out at the next election, influenced mainly by their 'hip-pocket nerve'."

This happened in the 1974-75 recession with the dismissal of the Whitlam government, in the 1982-83 recession with the ousting of the Fraser government, the losing of an unloseable election by the Hewson-led party during the 1991-92 recession, and the loss of the Keating federal and Goss Queensland governments in 1996 when Queensland was in recession (info from the same book, the chart titled "The Barometer of the Economy").

Looking at history, can today's government afford to allow Australia to sink into recession? I don't blame them for treading exceptionally carefully in today's economic environment, because they KNOW they will lose their seats if we see a recession.

Participant
    @fword
    AussieHousePrices wrote:
    You keep saying that you’re not implying that good areas won’t fall.  So what is the point of the above sentence?

Well, you ain't reading carefully before putting words in my mouth. Let's bring up a fictitious example for the purposes of discussion: there are 10 people out there who want to buy a 15 carat diamond, of which only one exists. And there's 100 people who want to buy a 0.2 carat diamond, of which a million of them exist. Both of these types of diamond exchange hands (in those quantities) once a year. Which is the one that is more likely to rise in value? Of course the one that has greater scarcity and the greatest demand. And say diamonds went out of fashion for a period of 2 years. The prices at which these diamonds changes hands can reduce. But which one will still see the greatest potential to increase in price when diamonds once again become popular? The big diamond of course, with its scarcity and underlying demand.

In a similar fashion, when either the property bubble bursts or property goes out of fashion, prices of all houses are reduced when they change hands. But when things pick up again, the houses in the most desirable locations will have the greatest potential to increase in price (as the graph in that PDF file you told me to read, demonstrates), because of their scarcity and demand for them. Hence the property market cycles.

AussieHousePrices wrote:
    No it’s not the nature of business to buy and sell the exact same thing from the same place at ever-increasing prices.  Business is involved in producing something or adding value/convenience etc, and selling it for a profit.

Really? Property investing is a business. Look at the example on diamonds again. Diamonds routinely change hands for ever increasing prices. Did they improve in value because the previous owner added some desirable colours or lustre to the diamond? Did they bake it in their hands to add some quality to it? No! They are the exact same thing! And it is not entirely correct to assume that NOTHING was done to a house that changes hands for ever-increasing prices. The quality of finishes may have improved, major renovations may have been done etc.

Have a look at the million-dollar mansions of today. Are you trying to tell me that these houses are the same today as they were some 30 years ago, with all the stainless steel kitchen appliances, luxury granite bench tops, massive inground pools, tennis courts, built-in plasma TVs and sound systems? How can we say that value or convenience (or both) has NOT been added to these houses?

Participant
    @aussiehouseprices

fWord wrote:
    In a similar fashion, when either the property bubble bursts or property goes out of fashion, prices of all houses are reduced when they change hands. But when things pick up again, the houses in the most desirable locations will have the greatest potential to increase in price (as the graph in that PDF file you told me to read, demonstrates), because of their scarcity and demand for them. Hence the property market cycles.

You’re spending a lot of time making a point that I’ve already made – that the more expensive areas rise and fall by the biggest percentage.  Personally, I wouldn’t take that to mean it’s OK to hold throughout the downturn.  It could, for example, take 20+ years to get to its pre-bubble peak.  

fWord wrote:
    Really? Property investing is a business. Look at the example on diamonds again. Diamonds routinely change hands for ever increasing prices. Did they improve in value because the previous owner added some desirable colours or lustre to the diamond? Did they bake it in their hands to add some quality to it? No! They are the exact same thing! And it is not entirely correct to assume that NOTHING was done to a house that changes hands for ever-increasing prices. The quality of finishes may have improved, major renovations may have been done etc.

Have a look at the million-dollar mansions of today. Are you trying to tell me that these houses are the same today as they were some 30 years ago, with all the stainless steel kitchen appliances, luxury granite bench tops, massive inground pools, tennis courts, built-in plasma TVs and sound systems? How can we say that value or convenience (or both) has NOT been added to these houses?

Sure you can make a business out of property by, for example, buying a knock-down job, re-building and selling for a profit – or even just as a full-time landlord offering shelter to tenants.

But in a property boom, prices go up because …prices are going up!  They are rising more than can be explained by increasing population, shortage of land, general inflation etc. Therefore, we are paying each other increasing amounts for the same thing for no good reason – with less to spend on other things and less money being investment in the productive area of the economy.  It’s a Ponzi scheme and it will end in tears. That’s fine of you’re OK with that.  I’m not.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 212 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.