All Topics / Help Needed! / Baby and investing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Johnwilly1000Johnwilly1000
    Participant
    @johnwilly1000
    Profile photo of trusteetrustee
    @trustee

Hi,  not a lot of info to go on here.  You don't say whether your paying off your PPOR and if you have any equity in it or the IP.

My first suggestion would be that you look at refinancing your loans to 80% and put the money in an offset account.  This can then be drawn on to pay towards the holding costs of the IP.  Prices are expected to improve in Qld in the second half of 2010.

Growth on a property at say 10% would almost certainly guarantee that you would make money on holding the property even if you have to use some of this buffer you have created.  This is done all the time by experienced multiple property owners.  No one has this sort of cash lying around to fund multiple properties from salaries.

This may feel unconfortable for you at first but using equity to service debt and purchase additional properties is all par for the course and learning how to use money wisely like this will keep you making money rather than selling and starting over again.

Hope this helps

Profile photo of Johnwilly1000Johnwilly1000
    Participant
    @johnwilly1000

My ppor is 230k and investment is 410k. I’m paying interest only on invest and principle and interest on ppor.

I think my ppor is worth 330k so equity=100k. And invest worth 470k so equity 60k.

Its kinda scary all this debt and furthering the debt.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Start squirrelling away all of the +1's income (& some of yours) now. Cut out all of your 'extras' and get used to the lifestyle with less cash so that the adjustment is not a shock when the kid arrives. Get used to living off one income & make sure that you can make ends meet, especially if she has to finish work earlier than expected and remain off for longer. Put the extra money into an offset account (against the PPOR or pay down your ppor).

Profile photo of Johnwilly1000Johnwilly1000
    Participant
    @johnwilly1000

Hi we can’t try and live off one wage at the moment. But have worked out with all tax returns and savings will have about 30k for when single income. Also just heard she can get full wage for 4 and half months from government new incentive and u also get the 5k grant. Not 100% on this yet but will look into it more. But yeah we starting to save as of now.

If however worst comes to worst may refinance or even sell it and start again later in life

Profile photo of trusteetrustee
    @trustee

Hi Ninh1000

Thanks for the additional info on your situation.  Investing is scary and serious stuff.  I think a lot of people get carried away at first with the capital gains that can be made but fail to work through the ongoing costs and if's and but's when something comes out of the blue.  It's always better to have a long term plan and a good buffer.  Buffer being money put aside or hopefully sufficient equity to enable you to refinance.  To do this it's best to do this in advance  (when equity becomes available) so that you are always a step ahead. 

Looking at your situation you have $800k in assets.  (Bank valuation could come in at less.)
    You don't say how much your current loans are (i'm assuming those figures mentioned are purchase prices)
    If you take a normal bank loan of 80% LVR that means you have potential borrowings totalling $640k
    Minus whatever mortages you already have gives you the total new finance available.  IF your wife only plans on being off work for a year then you need to cover your costs including mortgages expences etc for this time and a buffer of $50,000 for example may do this.  IF it is longer than more is required…..up to you to do the figures but selling right now might just cost you money after CGT and selling costs.  Have a think about it and talk with some more people……it's quite natural that all this debt scares you.  It's only once you do this a few times and get knowledgeable and gain more equity you will feel better able to handle it all.  It is a long term thing……

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

There's some extra info you can read here about the new parental leave scheme. It looks like you will not receive the 5k baby bonus in addition to the paid leave (unless you have twins!)

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/publications/planning-to-have-a-baby-introducing-australias-first-paid-parental-leave-scheme.html

the link also details how to check if your partner is eligible for the payment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.