All Topics / Help Needed! / HELP NEEDED WITH INVESTMENT PROPERTY

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of palmer01palmer01
    @palmer01

hi i am pretty new to the property market and i was applying the 1% rule to a property out at young (past bathurst) when the roi result i used showed that it was a 11% return. just asking if this would be ok as a first investment property? any help would be great. thanks chris

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

It is always good to work out the cash flow figures as well
    income = rent – prop manage fee – 9% interest on loan – council rates – water rates – insurance – $1000 for maintenance
    If you have a negative income figure then you can decide if you can afford the cash flow loss
    If it is a positive figure then you have less trouble affording it.

What you need to decide is what is your goal
    To own a positive cash flow property (is there a chance of capital growth)
    To pay down the loan as quick as possible

or
    To own a negative cash flow property (possibly get capital growth)

You may find $3000 to $4000 per year may be what it costs for the extra costs above the interest charge

I stated 9% interest rate as interest rates are on the rise (worse scenario)
    if you use an amortisation template in excel you can work out the repayments if p & I
    as you may wish to use repayment amount instead of interest charged.

Profile photo of palmer01palmer01
    @palmer01

yeh, the cost of the property is $100,000 and the rent is $220 per week,

roughly how much are all the costs each year on a regular property? (eg fees, bills, repairs etc)

thanks again

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I would factor $1000 minimum for repairs as if something breaks like plumbing or hot water service it has to be fixed straight away.
    Council Rates approx $700 a year check with real estate agent they may have a copy of the Council rates.
    Water Rates approx $700 a year but depends on water company as my parents pay 1200 due to wilsons prom charge, check with real estate agent they may have a copy of the water rates.
    Insurance – get a quote as you will need insurance anyway probably $600 to 800 a year
    9% loan repayment p& I over 20 years is approx $210 a week  $36 a week principal and $173 as interest payment
    It is a good idea to have cash in an account in case tenants do not pay rent or pay late of about 3 months or more that is $2400 so you do not default on the loan payments if relying on the rent to cover this loan repayment transfer payment.
    If the house gets trashed or abandoned it could take 3 months to fix the house to a rent able state.
    Not sure on property management fees you need to make inquiries with propective real estate property managers

You also need to factor in Stamp Duty on your purchase do a google on stamp duty calculator
    if Loan to Value ration is >80% you have to pay mortgage insurance at time of loan settlement – google mortgage insurance calculator
    Also you will be hit with loan establishment fees by the lender bank

@palmer01

hhhhmmm so sounds like the way to cover all the costs is to increase the rent? or do renos and hope that the property goes up then sell it. i saw a seminar with steve mcknight and he said that to get the good houses that are good investment ones that you need to look at inefficient places where the majority of people dont look for properties, where bouts are they???

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

palmer, the property you mentioned sounds like a good buy if you plan to buy and hold. Also are you planning to pay principal and interest or interest only? Water rates usage are generally paid for by the tenant only sewerage and supply by owner. Check with the real esate agent what these fees and charges are. i own a number of regional properties and the rates and water rates charges that duckster quoted are much higher than what i pay for my properties. Insurance is also much less on a property of that value in a regional area. You can calculate stamp duty, loan repayments, etc on real estate.com click on 'calculators' on the left hand side of the screen.

cheers

Sonya

@palmer01

sweet thanks sonya, its pretty daunting starting out when its hard to find the “right” ones that wont lose you money. im goin out there this tuesday to have a look and talk to real estate agents. i think that one should keep my head above the water, i hope.
    also lookin at one for $79,000 and rent is roughly $144 so i have a few choices.

thanks for the info.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.