All Topics / Help Needed! / Water leak & damage in Strata Unit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of kenh2003kenh2003
    @kenh2003

Hi everyone,

I need advice regarding damage to my investment unti (NSW) from a water leak above that strata will not help with.

I have had no rental income for a month so far because of it .

Tenants moved out of the unit one month ago. After inspecting property discovered water was leaking from unit above . The wall was wet below ceiling in hallway outside the bathroom and the door frame into bathroom was wet to touch.

Strata sent plumber round to inspect leak and bathroom in unit above. In the meantime I scaped paint from walls and they began to dry out however the woodwork around the door remained wet with water droplets forming . Strata plumber reported that no leak could be detected and suggested it was a one off water spill that would dry out.

I now had a bucket in the doorway catching the slow but constant drip. Strata manager and plumber would not be convinced otherwise and insisted I wait to see if things dried out. Over the next 2 weeks the strata manager did not respond to emails or return calls. I involved the REA who had been renting the place out for me as he was known to the strata manager. REA inspected leak/damage and twice called the strata manager (once in my presence) to report the leak is constant.

In some parts the wood in the doorframe is so water logged I am pushing my finger through it and wet mush is falling out. There is an architrave light switch that obviously has water damage around it.

After another week and several more heated conversations, the strata manager sent the plumbers back out. The plumbers then report that the unit above is the source of the leak and requires maintenance (Reseal bath, replace cracked tiles around bath and shower taps, regrout tiles and a new shower screen). It was recommended the repairs be carried out urgently

The strata manager then washes his hands of the whole thing stating it is not a strata issue and the owner of the above unit has to take action. All he will do is give me the name of the REA that rents the unit upstairs.

I went in person to see this REA who tells me strata informed her and the owner is arranging a builder to go round. Its now one week later, the REA does not know if any repairs have been carried out or are scheduled and all she can do is email the owner again. I cant repair the damage to my property until the problem is fixed and my REA says he cant rent it until this happens either (theres the obvious electrocution risk from the light switch).

The NSW Strata Management Act does have a section (63) about strata carrying out repairs that an owner is responsible for and being able to force the owner to reimburse them but it is not clear enough to know if this applies in my situation. This would involve the strata managers cooperation which i feel unlikely to get.

Any disputes with strata first have to be dealt with through mediation thro the NSW Dept of Fair Trading which involves an application, a fee and a 2-4 week wait for the mediation to occur.

I dont know what to do next any input would be much appreciated.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Ken

We had exactly the same problem with our unit and the Strata Manager was great and got it fixed quickly.  You certainly seem to be working with a bad Strata Manager.  Have you had a talk with the President of your Strata Committee?

Once your strata president understands the potential structural problem this could cause to the building, I'm sure she/he will be keen to bring the strata manager into line and get the leak fixed.  Possibly even suggest that, if the strata manager doesn't perform satisfactorily, the committee hire a new one.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of KateMelbKateMelb
    @katemelb

I’d formally advise the strata manager and the other owner (either through the agent or directly via a title search) that unless the matter is promptly dealt with, you will refer it to the building insurer to pursue. The insurer could seek partial recovery of any claim directly from the manager and other owner if their failure to act results in the damage worsening and the claim amount increasing. This should scare them into action.

If you have landlord’s insurance you may be able to claim for lost rent and damaged fixtures/fittings.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

As above, drop a note to the secretary of the BC advising the problem – it is the BC which directs the SM to act on an issue. The BC will decide if it is the owner of the unit above who needs to rectify thier leak or it is a leak from the building eg roof leak/broken pipe etc.

In the meantime, contact the office of fair trading to find out how you can get this resolved before having to go to a tribunal esp if this is caused by a leak from the adjoining unit.

Advise your insurer of the issue, they too can bring pressure on the BC/SM to carry out the remedial works.

If you are getting no joy through the BC (obviously keep the pressure on them to resolve as the issue is from outside of your unit) contact the office of fair trading.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.