All Topics / General Property / Buying next to an Alley way (walkway)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of tommactommac
    @tommac

I am not an investor, but looking to purchase my own property.  the property (Thornlie WA) is next to an alley way (some people call it a walkway).

The house meets our needs and my only concern is the alley way. The street itself is good, though the alley way goes through to a busy road and a bus stop on the other side, directly opposite the alley way so there could be some pedestrian traffic. The fences are high enough that you can't look over just by walking past.

The current residents say they have never had a problem, apart from the odd beer bottle being thrown over the fence.

Has anyone got any comments about buying next to an alley way? Are there things we should pay particular attention to?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Tom

Profile photo of RHPlanningRHPlanning
    @rhplanning

They are called ‘Pedestrian Access Way’ (PAW) and are generally associated with anti social behaviour due to the fact they are poorly surveilled. Most people want to try and close them, however they provide a necessary access to pedestrians so the reality is they will stay. New subdivisions do not have them as they design roads in a way to provide permeable access throughout an area, and if they do have them, they are much wider and have good lighting and overlooked by adjoining properties.

Property prices are generally lower if located next to one, so it may mean good value for you if you don’t mind it being there, but in the future when it comes to sell it may reduce your sale price as it does put people off.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.