All Topics / Help Needed! / FHOG eligibility

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of cinooocinooo
    Participant
    @cinooo

Hi guys, just a question regarding the FHOG.

Here is my situation:

– I have not previously owned or lived in any property for more than 6 months (single or as a couple) that has been in my name (single or joint)
    – I am about to purchase a property as an investment (that will be rented out) that will be in my name – but will continue living with my parents (meaning my PPOR will still be at home which is owned under my parents names)

The question is:

Will I still be eligible for the FHOG when I do decide to buy a second property but decide to use this as my PPOR and live in it for 6 months+? Or will having a property already owned under my name exclude me from the FHOG?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

This varies from State to State. Check out http://www.firsthome.gov.au/ and select which State you are in.

Profile photo of cinooocinooo
    Participant
    @cinooo

My query is for the state of NSW:

The eligibility requirements are stated here:
    http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/benefits/first_home/general/eligibility/

The way I interpret it, it seems that since I am not residing in it as my PPOR and it is purely as an investment, I should still be eligible for the FHOG when I make another purchase at a later stage for the purpose of making it my PPOR. My solicitor is adivising I will not be eligible however..

Profile photo of bellzbellz
    Participant
    @bellz

Hi,

From my understanding, you would not be eligible as you would have previously owned a property.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

No you WILL be elligible for the FHOG your Solicitor is incorrect.

The fact that you have never owned a property which you have resided in means you will still qualify.

Remember the FHOG is Federal Govt controlled adminstered only by the individual States.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of number 8number 8
    Participant
    @number-8

I am with Richard on this one…………

I have listed the two important points for you to consider (both of which suggest your solicitor is wrong):

• All applicants and/or their spouse/de facto have not owned a residential property, jointly, separately or with some other person, in any State or Territory of Australia before 1 July 2000.

• All applicants and/or their spouse/de facto have not owned on or after 1 July 2000 a residential property and occupied that property jointly, separately or with some other person in any State or Territory of Australia for a continuous period of at least six months.

•  http://www.birchcorp.com.au