All Topics / Help Needed! / Tenant request to have a cat

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of ouchiemamaouchiemama
    @ouchiemama

I have two rental properties where both tenants have cats. I don't mind cats (I have two). I live in WA. We charged a pet bond of $100 which is the maximum I can charge for pets, irrelevant of the number. The idea of the pet bond is that it covers for flea spraying, etc. 

I also specified in the lease that the tenants have permission to have x number of cats on the premises. Carpet cleaning is standard on exiting the premises and written into the lease. If there were fleas on vacation of the premises, I would flea bomb and take the costs out of the pet bond.

Cats are clean, way better than dogs (and I have three of them!). My cat litter tray stays in the laundry on the tiles so I would specify in the lease that it needs not to be put on carpet. Most cat owners wouldn't do it … but you could get a feral who wouldn't think about it. Cover your bases.

I have had cats (and dogs) who destroyed the flywire on a screen door and window … again, its covered by the bond.

I'm with other people here … cats are way better tenants than some children (and I have two of them! LOL). I don't think you'd need to charge any extra rent, maybe a few dollars if you were really inclined.

Both tenants asked if they could have cats prior to moving in. In fact, one of the tenants emailed within a month or so of moving in to ask if they could 'petsit' her sister's cat. I had no problem with it … I couldn't charge anymore bond. Had I not been asked and we discovered it … I would have been less amiable about it.

On the issue of cats annoying the neighbours, cross that bridge when you come to it, if and when it comes up. My own cats, and those of my tenants are 'inside' animals. I don't let mine wander the neighbourhood and I think most responsible cat owners feel the same way.

It is hard to get a rental property with pets (and we all know why) so good on you for being flexible with your tenants and considering their request. All you can do is cover your bases by being as specific as you can in your documentation and explanations to the tenant.

I believe in honesty, approachability and flexibility and truly believe that is why I have such a fantastic relationship with my tenants!

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

All this depends on the quality of the carpet in the first place, hoping it's worth the effort..
    Cats give me asthma for some reason, and it's difficult to like something that stands on your oxygen hose.
    So I'm not a cat loving landlord. However, properly toilet trained they can be OK in a unit. 
    To avoid another grey area turning into a difficult Tribunal matter later on, I suggest you insist on a recognised carpet 
    cleaning company to inspect your carpet carefully and write a condition report, tenant signs off on the carpet condition report in writing, and agree to a professional clean and pet pest spray every 12 months and definately on vacating.
    In most states there is a limit to how much bond the landlord can demand, but a tenant can volunteer extra if they like.
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.