All Topics / Help Needed! / Dilly of a pickle!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Ok here it is.

I have always been an advocate of renting and doing other things with my money in property.

Now I find that for what I pay in rent I could buy a house about 15mins drive from where I live.

I currently live in a 4 bed single car 2 bath reasonable yard size house. It is in a nice area my friends live all within a couple blocks. it is walking distance to shops and cafes for Sunday Breakfast. The area is nice and safe with good transport links and central location. Most of the properties in this are are in the 1.2-1.5 bracket. The house we rent is nice but plain we have 2 cars which are currently both parked outside as the garage is difficult to use. (also has another car in it, another story) Camberwell.

The house we could buy would be priced about 500-600k. 4 bed, 2 bath, 2-6 car garage. Big yard, close to major shopping centre. We could buy something try and add some valued through nice but cheap renovations while we are living there, kitchen bathroom, paint and carpet. Wantirna South (heart of FHB territory).

The cost to pay the mortgage would be about $200 more a fortnight than what we pay in rent. Other half works at that shopping centre but this is neither here nor there as he may be moved at anytime to any location in Australia. (Hence trying to get into property hardcore)

What do I do? Other half likes everything to be the best, my friends live nearby and we have a nice community feel here. But…………………………………………..we could be doing something a lot better with the money.

The property would be purchased through either trust or company (depending on what we want to do with it later) and a reasonably good authority seems to think we can then rent the property from that entity. (Still need to check this out)

But putting that all aside is this a no brainer and should I drag the other half kicking and screaming to a not quite as nice area or is this all very silly? Can we get a 95% loan on this so we can still you our cash for our main passion which is building units?

I need ammunition if this is a good idea or I need some butt kicking if it is not! Please comment!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of FinSpecFinSpec
    @finspec

That is quite the pickle – life is made up of a balance of enjoying yourself, and working hard.  For some people, it's all about the money, while for others the money means much less to them.
    What I usually do is analyse the situation and do a case study.  Try and be as realistic as possible, and work out what is the profit of moving.  Think about the net value add from a renovation, the additional cost of the mortgage, factor in some interest rate increases as well.  When all is said and done, you should be able to work out that your idea is going to make you $xx.xx.  When you then weigh up the cost to your lifestyle in moving, you then think to yourself – would I do this to my lifestyle for that amount of money.  If you're not sure, then you have to think about it some more – if it's a resounding YES or NO! then you have your answer.  But you can't make a decision without sufficient facts, cold hard facts, especially when you're deciding between the money and the lifestyle.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Thanks FinSpec,

You have added another way for me to look at this! Much appreciated.

D

Email Me

Profile photo of lalcornlalcorn
    @lalcorn

It's not worth the hassle of moving just for the sake of moving and living in "your own place".

If the numbers stack up on the property as an investment (when it comes time to move out) then it could be a good idea.

If you are moving away from what you know and enjoy for little or no real monetary gain, then why do it?
    Don't forget to factor in the costs of moving (time and money) as well as the addition of STAMP DUTY to the cost of the property. on $500k there is about $25k in stamp duty. How many months of rent does $25k buy you?

Your husband may perfer to pay a little extra for a better life style and enjoy the area you live in. Perhaps that money you have could buy a positive cashflow property with growth potential?

Just my thoughts.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hey,

I differ – just done it and it feels MUCH better. Remembering of course it is another  'stick you have in the fire' of your investment journey – cgt free if and when you decide to sell. Go for it!  – and dont look back.  (you will still be able to afford fuel for that V8 too I'm sure.. :-)   )

All the best

Cheers

Participant
    @dwolfe

Ta v8ghia! That's the story about the other car in the garage. I think I could pay the stamp duty if I sell that. Anyone need a Honda Integra Type S? As for the fuel in the big red car, I'll be asking for petrol vouchers for my birthday :)!

Lalcorn, my dad (who was in on my musings and the car today) put it this way, equity on rent money is $0.

Just a thought.

D

Email Me

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Yeah, Dads on the money there. All the best – you sound like you know what you're doing!

Cheers

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

I'm of a different opinion. Do all your sums $$$ first. I have been an investor for over 25 years (12 IP) and have always lived in my investment properties but for the past 3 years I have been renting. I now live in a waterfont home worth (when I moved in) approx $1mil and I pay $510pw. Since the GFC it's now worth approx $890K. If I purchased this home 3 yrs ago and paid interest on a $1mil loan to the bank, you do the sums — it was much cheaper for me to rent. Keep in mind the owner of this place has to pay  body corp fees -$60pw, Land Tax- worse if he has it in a Company or Trust, council rates, replaced hot water system, replaced air cond, replaced dishwasher etc etc.   Instead, I ended up buying  2 x IP in the past 3 yrs.

If you buy the property in a Trust or Company you just wiped out the biggest tax advantage —- CGT.If you put this in your own name ITS TAX FREE, no CGT when and if you sell.   

I have friends who for the past 10 years retired to the Gold Coast and moved 4-5 times buying and selling there PPOR making $100K – $150K profit everytime and not pay one cent in TAX. They are still retired and selling there current home for over $2mil.

I remember when living in one of my IP I was paying over $5,000pm interest, plus land tax ($9K pa), body corp fees (over $10K pa), council & water rates etc, etc and I spoke to my neighbour who happened to be renting and paying $520pw for exactly the same apartment next door. I woke up to myself that day and rented my place out for a whopping $980pw and moved next door.

I now realize why my accountant said to me one day

It's all about what lifestyle u want!

Just another angle on things!

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    lalcorn wrote:
    It's not worth the hassle of moving just for the sake of moving and living in "your own place".

If the numbers stack up on the property as an investment (when it comes time to move out) then it could be a good idea.

If you are moving away from what you know and enjoy for little or no real monetary gain, then why do it?
    Don't forget to factor in the costs of moving (time and money) as well as the addition of STAMP DUTY to the cost of the property. on $500k there is about $25k in stamp duty. How many months of rent does $25k buy you?

Your husband may perfer to pay a little extra for a better life style and enjoy the area you live in. Perhaps that money you have could buy a positive cashflow property with growth potential?

Just my thoughts.

At a 95% LVR they will be up for mortgage insurance as wel

Participant
    @dwolfe

Thanks Dannyde and Duckster.

Yeah the sums part is the part which will probably make it a no go. Funny that. The cash can be used for something way better, developing more units. It doesn't really work if the loan isn't 95%, if the loan amount isn't under $500k and if the associated costs all add up to a couple thousand extra p/a.

It is an emotional purchase. We have two small children. My other half job involves a lot of moving around and not a lot of stability. Renting doesn't provide a lot of stability as any minute our landlord could decide to come back from O/S.

I think I need another project to sink my teeth into which will provide a huge distraction from emotional (wasteful) purchasing.

Remember the goal, remember the goal…..lol! 

D

Email Me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.