All Topics / Help Needed! / QLD Court – Agent can’t lodge court papers?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of jambvjambv
    Participant
    @jambv

Hi,
    We had probs with some tenants who were eventually evicted. They did some damage to the property & didn't pay rent. I have asked the managing agent to lodge a claim for a financial judgement in my favour with supporting documentation (quotes/pics etc). The agent has come back & said he can't lodge papers with the court as the new address of the evicted tenant is unknown. Does this sound right? What are my options here? The amt is around 12-15k……

Thanks.

Profile photo of pullypully
    @pully

hi jamby.

do you have landlord insurance?

then your agent should be following up with that.
    regards.

Profile photo of jambvjambv
    Participant
    @jambv
    pully wrote:
    hi jamby.

do you have landlord insurance?

then your agent should be following up with that.
    regards.

Thanks Pully,
    We are also pursuing restitiution from the landlord insurance company but any outstanding rental arrears aren't covered by landlord insurance as he was on a periodical lease. ie The agency wouldn't let him sign a new lease until he caught up on his rental arrears.  :( They are also arguing about what constitutes vandalism & are trying to not pay for damage :(

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

Just out of interest, who's the insurance Company?
    I recently had a claim last year on my rental property in NSW, I'm insured with EBM Insurance. The damage came to approx $20,000 including 2 x weeks loss of rent for fixing the place up, new carpets, new locks, replace a very expensive murphy fold down bed, fix damage to walls, replace torn blinds etc, etc. Even replacing my missing phone and lamp shade was claimed. The insurance Company gave me a chq for $13,550 plus the Rental Bond of $3,800 which was withheld by me. $1200 was taken out  for the excess $400 x 3. I was very happy with this.  No arguments at all with them during the process except when they wanted to buy me a replacement murphy bed off ebay for $990. The original bed was $5,400 (bloody expensive beds). I argued that I want my ferrari type of bed replaced with the same, not a damn toyota. All was good. My tenant was on a periodic lease as he did not send back the new lease. Also, I managed the property myself. One most important facts about landlords insurance is that if you make a claim the insurance Company pays you, they actually pursue your tenant. So having the forwarding address or in my case a copy of his Driver's liscense is very important for the insurance claim.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

dannyde, how come they didn't pay the full $20,000 of damages and rent?

Does anyone else have good storyies about insurance companies paying out

Participant
    @blackhotel

I had a painter go in and completely repaint the whole place. Insurance won't pay for the complete re-paint, they will only pay for the damage caused. Remember, they paid me $18,550 from a $20,000 claim. They paid me  2 weeks rent loss of $1900 for the time it took to fix it up. Not bad at all. And the best thing was that the whole place got a mini-makeover and had 2 x tenants fighting over it to rent it. The rent went up $30pw after the make-over.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

very good, I just checked there site out and they seem alright, how much do you pay for this insurance if you dont mind me asking

Participant
    @blackhotel

flat fee of $330 per property – residential unit. Houses are different though.

Profile photo of soloinvestorsoloinvestor
    Participant
    @soloinvestor

Wow, wish I was EBM, after just having hell time with CGU who need to be avoided like the plague!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.