All Topics / General Property / Timber floor or carpet

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of NBSNBS
    @nbs

I was reading elsewhere on this site about timber floors and during the course of the topic someone mentioned carpets in bedrooms.

I am interested in peoples view from a owner/landlords position which would be more suitable. My thoughts are in two minds working on the fact the place is all timber floors now.

1. The whole place sanded and have polished floor throughout. 

2. The main living areas sanded while bedrooms carpet.

3. Full carpet apart from kit and dinning.

In my view having carpet in the bedrooms will cut down on noise. Having carpets throughout is not a good option either, I sort of feel the split of carpets bedroom polished floor remainder.

So in your experiences which works for you and your tenant and advantages and disadvantages.

I understand there will be various consideration which will point people one way or the other

Thanks
    Brian

Profile photo of toni89toni89
    @toni89

Hi

I have always used tiles/timber floors and always carpeted bedrooms. Never had problems leasing due to the location of the properties. To my surprise, i heard some people do prefer no carpet anywhere as kids are allergic to the dust that lives in the carpet.
    I would probably speak with the local property manager as they should have a pretty good feel of what your prospective tenants will like.
    As I mentioned, the location is probably more important. If you can get away with not spending extra money, then dont.

cheers

Toni

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

I would either go the split. Timber living areas and carpet bedrooms, or I would go fully timber. I would never go fully carpet. Especially not if your floor boards are good.

Carpet is cheap to replace, but needs to be cleaned whenever a tenant moves out (usually done by the tenant but not always). Floorboards cost nothing once they are reading and only need to be swept when a tenant moves out…super easy to maintain.

I agree with Toni….speak to your property manager and see what they think. But at the end of the day you are the investor…you make the decision based on your research and what you think will make the most profit. Most real estate managers are not investors and thus I wouldn’t take their advice as the be all and end all.

Ryan McLean
    http://CashFlowCapital.com.au
    Positive Cash Flow Properties Are Just a Click Away

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Carpet,

Its cheaper, timber gets scratched and damaged, and carpet gives the house that new car feeling for little outlay.

Food for thought.

Profile photo of NBSNBS
    @nbs

Thanks for the comments, I will speak to the local PM and get thier opinion. Have not purchased the place as yet just doing sums for the reno if I get it. 

Thanks
    Brian 

Profile photo of FinSpecFinSpec
    @finspec

I think speaking to your PM is a good idea, maybe get a few opinions.  We always design and build based on the demographics of the area rather than specific rules.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.