All Topics / Help Needed! / Great Investment Property – Would you buy it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of E HammondE Hammond
    @e-hammond

I have found an investment property and wanted some opinions on it.

It is a property in Morayfield which is on the outskirts of Brisbane, I am not too familiar with the area but I do know it has heaps of growth and lots of people moving out further due to houseing affordability. It is in a great position there being close to everything such as shops schools transport etc, it is in a great street with nice homes and when you turn into the street it is at the very end facing like a cul de sac because it takes the whole end, but it isn't a cul de sac if that makes sense.

It has DA approval to basically build another house on the land, which is 866 sqm and already has all the plans and approvals in place. It is classed as a Duplex when you build the new home and can be on seperate titles. Basically the existing house on it can be rented straight out with minimal cosmetic work (spray paint the interior, rip up carpets and polish wooden floors etc and it would look immaculate!) This could be rented out straight away at a guess $300/ 350+ per week.

The owner was going to build himself but due to his curcumstances is in a position where he can't get the cash and has to sell it.

It is on the market at $360,000 which can't buy you anything with developtment potential these days, I am guessing somewhere between $100/ 200, 000 to build makes $560 for large house sized duplex pair, that are then returning around $700/800 per week. This is pretty good return compared with other investments I thought.

The yard has access to one side of it, and the other side has a fence which can easily be turned into gate to have seperate car spaces/ acess (even though it also has double garage under house) divide yard up easily etc,  It just seems like the perfect investment.

The reason I am on this forum is because although I have investment houses I am too scared to get into developtment as I have not done it before and don't know where to start and don't want to get into a position where things go over budget as this is building a whole new house not just renovations, so although I would love to buy it, it might just have to be research for the next one, or maybe the one after that. So I would love to hear some opinions from all you experienced investors/ developers, is this a good investment? any advice, opinions, any drawbacks you can see etc etc would you buy it? The house has been on the market a few weeks and it seems like a fantastic investment so why has it not been snapped up?

The real estate link to the property is below and I can't wait to hear from you all!

The link is http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=106314462&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=4989645&s=qld&tm=1267843531

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

From what i read it involves knocking down the current house and building a new duplex.

If this is the case funding the deal might be a little harder than you think.

Many lenders will only want to consider the land value as soon as you knock down the house that is all you will have.

Then in turn you would be looking at a construction loan on the new duplex.

Few lenders lend against GR value but higher rate.

Might appear cheap but all depends on the actual location.

There is a lot of Caboolture I wouldn't buy in and remember Morayfield and Caboolture are yards apart.

All in all if everything else is equal and the numbers stack up then no reason not to go ahead with the deal as building a duplex is exactly the same as building a house just you have 2 going at the same time. Assume you have fixed price quotes from a respectible builder as probably not the sort of thing your average project builder will turn his hand to. 

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of E HammondE Hammond
    @e-hammond

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. I have spoken to the estate agents and the existing house would stay as it is.  There is already plans in place for the new house which is almost identical and it goes down right beside this house.

So really, would just need to get a builder to build the new house and you have yourself two investment properties which is why I thought it sounded pretty good.

Of course the other option could be to knock the existing house down and build a new duplex, but I don't see why you would bother since the plans are already in place for the new duplex and of course you have the existing property.

I totally agree, and the real estate has listed it as Caboolture South, but I found it by driving past and I am sure it is classed as Morayfield. And from what I know and have seen of the Caboolture/ Morayfield area I think this is in one of the better spots.

So I think initial loan would be home loan so no hassles there, and then would need to apply for construction loan based on the plans for second house looking at end value, it seems to all add up and I think finance would be OK to buy and for construction whether you did that all in the one loan or in two.

So I think it all stacks up, I am just trying to learn and research as much as possible before I jump into a developtment property as that is what I would like to do, and I guess this to me seems like a great investment but it hasn't been sold so that is why I am trying to see what other people think and if they think it is a good investment, or could do better, or know something I haven't thought of as don't want to learn the hard way when I do jump in and buy a developtment property, so this is a pretty good example because if I was more confident and in a better position right now I would probably jump at it.

Thanks again for your reply :)

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Other issue would be that many lenders would not allow 2 properties on a single Title.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

hi E Hammond,

Have you called a few builders just to ask about pricing? A few big builders (Metricon) are very approachable to get inital prices from and then you can call a few small builders from to get a clearer picture.

From what I read too it seems like you build two properties. Have you seen and studied the plans to make sure of what you are actually buying?

Building costs for things like townhouses can be anywhere from 180-220k and up depending on what is included. Many things are not included such as fly screens, landscaping, blinds, light fittings, boundary fences (which may need to be removed to allow trucks/excavator access). This will very quickly add up so get as clear a picture as you can.

Are working drawings included or have they been done. These are the second lot of drawings given to your builder which outline exact specs of materials measurements etc. These can cost as well to have drawn up so add that to the sale price.

As I understand it a duplex or 3 house block is worth a bit more strata titled when it comes to selling as you can sell them individually for more. Also this allows you an out by selling one if you think that you need to get out or if you are going to get a really high price etc.

Talk to your accountant about buying this the right way as you do not want to have to pay heaps of tax if you need to get out of it  and sell for whatever reason.

Please get all the figures and time frames as well as it may not have sold as there is not much or no profit in the deal from a development perspective. It may be ok as a one off buy/develop/hold. Building time will also cost you in holding costs for interest and if the rental amount has to be dropped to keep a tenant living on a building site. It may take anywhere from 6 up to 12 mths for actual construction time so calculate how much interest you will pay during this time.

If after all these calculations and questions and phone calls the deal stacks up then go for it. Most developers go for a 25-20% profit so if you come out at anything less than 15% run a mile and anything in between think very carefully about if it is worth it.

Good luck, I don't want to put you off because it is really great fun but there may be other projects that you can control a bit more and maybe make more money on.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of bellzbellz
    Participant
    @bellz

Is this property off Torrens Road at Morayfield?  If so, Moreton Bay Regional Council will have it rated as Caboolture South and not Morayfield when I agree that it is really Morayfield.

If it is in the one of the streets off the Morayfield Road end of Torrens Road, they would have to pay me to live there, so I would be hard pressed to buy there for investment either.   Also, check the rental potential as in all honesty I can't see it renting for $350.00 per week when there are lots of much newer houses that are renting for $350 and less.

I have an IP at Caboolture South (purchased for less than $300K) lowset brick veneer, 3 bedroom, 1 bath, slug, and it is rented for under $300/week.  Good luck if you decide to go for it.

@e-hammond

Thanks to everyone for thier reply.

Richard, when you build the new property they will both have seperate titles.

D, I haven't studied the plans but from what I have understood the plan is almost the same house so they will be two identical houses almost, side by side.

I haven't gotten building quotes just working on rough cost of 150/200K as you would do what you can yourself as I guess the whole idea is to do everything as cheap as possible to get the most return both rental and capital gains.

And you are exactly right, either build –  total cost approx 560K rental $800 week 6.80% lets say interest only loan works out to weekly repayments of $732 so it would be cash flow positive by $70 a week without taking into consideration rates. Hold on to them and sell them down the track as there is going to be a housing shortage for some time yet so in the long term they will always increase in value and in the meantime they haven't cost very much, or even made you money to hold onto them.

Or rent out the first one and then build and sell the new one for at least $350,000?? so you would then owe $210,000 and receiving rental income of $350. Repayments at 6.80% on 210K = $274 per week so cash flow positive of $76 per week. Or sell the old one and recieve the advantages of depreciation on the new property and all its fittings etc as it is an investment with tenants so you would get more money back again making it even more CF+.

Or sell them both at average $350 each = $700,000 total cost $560,000= $140,000 profit. Possibly more obviously if you can get it at right price, build as cheap as possible and have the contacts or the ability to build it as cheap as possible.

But of course there are so many variables so I am only using rough figures obviously. It could be great CF+ properties end of day or the whole project might not end up profitable at all.

And that is what turns me off the whole building thing, builders, time frames, its all confusing and so many question marks etc you hear of so many horror stories and a guy I know spent almost a year and so many things went wrong he walked away with $16,000 profit! but it was his first go. But… then you hear and know of so many people who find it all a piece of cake, know exactly what to do, find these properties and turn them over and make millions! and do so easily…  I mean if this project took 6 months and you made 140K that is pretty impressive! even if it took a year still impressive, what job pays you 140K a year??? And then you have the money to move to a bigger developtment and make more money etc etc so good small one to start.

I just don't think there is any such animal as the cash flow positive property, well not anymore because people cottoned on to it and everyone started doing it and they ran out years ago unless you buy in the middle of whoop whoop and take your chances of it actually being tenanted consistently, so you have to renovate, build, subdivide, increase value somehow and be creative to turn properties into the 'cash flow positive' properties. Even the subdivide has just been done too much that where I live is just full of 400sqm blocks and if anyone has a large block they know there is a hundred aspiring Steve Knights out there waiting to subdivide and profit that the prices on those are so high that it really doesn't work out profitable to buy some crap shack on a 800sqm block for $500,000 to bulldoze the house and build two new homes at 220K each, that works out to nearly a mil and you would be lucky to get $500, 000 for each house??? if you can even pull that money together and want to take something like that on. That is why this is not my suburb of choice but the growth is there and it is an opportunity that won't come along in the suburbs I would like to buy. Sateliete cities like Springfield/ Caboolture have to increase, there is no land, housing shortages. It has hospitals, major shopping centres, infastructure people don't have to travel they can work and do everything they need to in the suburbs and surrounding suburbs where they live and bring up a family in affordable housing, it has to increase, does anyone else agree? unless they start relaxing zoning so houses start getting knocked down and can be replaced with multi level units.. anyway now i am rambling…

Bellz, sorry I have no idea where those roads are and not good with names anyway… I thought it seemed pretty good, and cute little street with some nice houses, the house good frontage and just needs some jazzing up and would have fantastic street appeal it has so much potential but isn't presented very well. It is just around the corner like a minute drive from Morayfield shopping centre/ Anaconda/ and all those shops there on that strip. I guess you know the area, do you know where I am talking about? and what is wrong with the area? is it just the people? Just a bad suburb?

Well thanks so much to all for the advice and info etc it's been great :)

Profile photo of bellzbellz
    Participant
    @bellz

If its at the Anaconda end, it is in a better area than where I had originally thought, but it has me stumped as to why it is listed as Caboolture South when Anaconda is definitely Morayfield.  What is the street name where the house is?

@e-hammond

Hi, I know I thought the same thing. It is in Kylie Street.

Profile photo of Tom SiegelTom Siegel
    @tom-siegel
    Quote:
    And you are exactly right, either build –  total cost approx 560K rental $800 week 6.80% lets say interest only loan works out to weekly repayments of $732 so it would be cash flow positive by $70 a week without taking into consideration rates. Hold on to them and sell them down the track as there is going to be a housing shortage for some time yet so in the long term they will always increase in value and in the meantime they haven't cost very much, or even made you money to hold onto them.

Or rent out the first one and then build and sell the new one for at least $350,000?? so you would then owe $210,000 and receiving rental income of $350. Repayments at 6.80% on 210K = $274 per week so cash flow positive of $76 per week. Or sell the old one and recieve the advantages of depreciation on the new property and all its fittings etc as it is an investment with tenants so you would get more money back again making it even more CF+.

Hello,

This sounds like a fun deal at first. However, these figures are speculative. You have said that you don't know the market. It is great to think about it. If you want to really figure out how the property will perform you need to figure out what actual market rent is. The best and only way to do that is to find rental comparables in the same neighborhood. I don't know the market at all but there was an earlier post that was rather skeptical of you getting $350/week. If he's right then how are you going to get $800/week? I don't mean to be a downer but you definitely shouldn't make any decisions based on a hunch. 

Let's say you're right… now you have $70/week profit on each unit. What about vacancy (there's always vacancy) and as vacant carrying costs? What about your other expenses? You still need to pay taxes and insurance, are utilities included in the rent, building maintenance and repairs. Then there's professional and legal fees (probably not a whole lot) and reserves, something often left out by investors (you will need to replace the roof someday, or the HVAC, etc.). If you add all that up and it still makes sense then maybe its a good thing.  

Quote:
    Or sell them both at average $350 each = $700,000 total cost $560,000= $140,000 profit. Possibly more obviously if you can get it at right price, build as cheap as possible and have the contacts or the ability to build it as cheap as possible.

This sounds like the way to go here. Except for one thing. Just because you are willing to pay $360,000 for the one unit does not mean that is market value. You have to look at comparable properties that have sold in the area. If market value is infact what you think it is and construction costs are what you are expecting, then this is the way to go. But you do need to factor in marketing and exposure times. I would market them now… as in as soon as you have it under contract.

Anyway this sounds like a lot of fun to think about. It could work out well for you.

Tom Siegel
    Commercial Appraiser

@e-hammond

Hi Tom,

Of course. Really just using rough figures to have a play around to see if it could work on rough scale. The rental is what the agent said it should be able to get, one being brand new and the other spruced up average $350 each, but even if that is a bit higher I am using actual purchase price and top dollar building costs.

I used those figures but I would make a lower offer, I wouldn't pay full puchase price so let's say I got it for $340,000, and called upon all my contacts and did as much as I could myself, I know a concreter etc bought kitchen and bathroom at auctions or ebay etc and would try and get it built for around $120/ 150, 000 which would make the total costs around the $460/ 490,000 mark, that would be more what I would aim for.

So it allows a bit of room for lower rent from my initial costings, but even if I had to put my own money towards it, it wouldn't be very much and in a couple of years as everything goes up the shortfall closes in until it is CF+, that is what happened with my first property ten years ago that has been CF+ for at least the last 5 years. Unless of course I just turned it around for a quick profit, if I could manage to get it done for under 500K and even just made 50 – 100K that is still pretty good.

But I know exactly what you mean, it is all speculative, but so is any property anywhere. If I bought an investment property in my area, the shortfall is around $200+ a week as high demand suburb with high house prices with low rentals in comparision. I would have the same sort of mortgage, but no developtment potential and same thing with adding equity with possible reno's etc that may increase rent slightly but still have to outlay the money on top of the existing mortgage and difficult to pull off big profits from renos unless you buy well and know how and what to renovate and do it right, or wait around for capital gains. And still the same thing if something went wrong with it, roof, vacancy rates, etc I would need to have the funds aside for these sorts of things. So comparing it with other investment options out there it is in the better scale and has potential.

And you are exactly right, I am just playing around with it all but to really get an idea, a lot more research needs to be done for comparative sales, comparative rentals and building costs to really have a accurate finanical overview of the investment to know exactly what returns/ sales potential/ profit this property would have once the development is done. And that is a great idea about advertising the property as soon as contract signed, that would be the way to do it, sounds like you have been here before! :)

Thanks for your comments, lots of valid points and given me plenty to think about! there is just so much to learn and know about, but there is money to be made if you can get it right. Thanks again.

Profile photo of Tom SiegelTom Siegel
    @tom-siegel

Sounds like you know what to do and are not going to do it if the numbers don't work. I see a lot of lackadaisical diligence from developers in what I do. Let's put it this way… I have never met a developer that was not extremely optimistic.

Cheers,

Tom Siegel
    Commercial Appraiser

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.