All Topics / Help Needed! / Stolen Wheelie Bin – Who Pays? Tenant or Landlord

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of soloinvestorsoloinvestor
    Participant
    @soloinvestor

I have a block of flats in Mt Isa. The Wheelie Bins sometimes get stolen.  The Council charges $139 each time to replace and will not replace free of charge even with a police report.

My question is – should I as the landlord have to replace them each time, or should the tenant be responsible for them? RTA offers no advice on this subject.  I have always replaced them in the past but wonder if I am obliged to really?

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

Hi sv,
    You are not olbliged to, but IMO you as the the landlord should have to pay for this, as it should be considered a chatel or capital item exclusive to your property.
    This doesnt help you but as a landlord myself, several councils in Melb supply at no charge one per household and approx $60-$80 thereafter, but you do have to sign a stat dec. stating that it has been stolen/damage by a thrid party.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Drill some holes in the next bin in the bottom to let water drain out of the bin.

Profile photo of PaddyomallPaddyomall
    @paddyomall

Provide a means to lock up the bins giving the tenants the key to their bin.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

As long as the tenant puts the bin on the kerbside and brings it inside in a timely manner (ie – not leave it on the kerbside for days on end), then I do not think the tenant should replace it. If they did they could reasonably expect them to take it with them when they leave. Body corporate/you need to investigate providing a secure area for them to be stored in. Plus you could claim it as a expense.

Our bin got set on fire by youths (there was a spate of them). Almost burnt the whole house down. We had to pay to replace it despite a police report.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

You are the owner, thus you own the bins, thus you are responsible for replacing the bins. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear

Ryan McLean
    http://CashFlowInvestor.com.au
    Positive Cash Flow Properties Are Just A Click Away

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.