All Topics / Help Needed! / Who pays for pest control?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of deanboydeanboy
    @deanboy

I have a rental property for the last 12 months and I originally paid to have the pest control undertaken. Some tenants moved in and they have been there almost 12 months and have now asked me to pay for the 12 monthly pest control to be done again. I thought that I was to get things like pest control done originally, then they have to get it done after that. Also, who pay for light bulbs and tap washers also?

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

I would pay it but also increase the rental as well…

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Remember this is your property, I would want to be dure that the pest control was up to date to avoid any structural damage. I would assume that light bulbs would be the responibility of the tenant and washers the responsibility of the landlord as most people can change a lightbulb but may not be able to fit and change washers. Remember to eep all recipts and/or get the property manager to organise the pest and washers and make sure you claim these expenses in your tax.

cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of ManitaManita
    @manita

Dear, Deanboy

I am a tenant and has been renting a flat for over 12 months. I have a problem with a toilet suite since I can not flush from time to time.
    I assumed that the pump inside the tank is loose so the water does not raise after flushing. So what I have been doing for a month is to open the lid and place my finger at the pump, then the tank is filled full with the water again.

Is this the responsibility of agent or landlord to replace it since my rent has been increased since New Year!?
    I am not in a good relationship with the agent of the flat.

Cheers,
    Manita

Profile photo of number 8number 8
    Participant
    @number-8

Deanboy,

I am assuming you are taking about the pest control in relation to domestic cockroaches etc. This is the tenants role – but read on.

When you are taking about the termites and other destructive bugs. Then you should assume this role. I like to do this personally each 12 months with a strong torch and a screw driver………

That being said, never ever be tight on cash when it comes to your tenants or investments (read the numbers for what they are – refer below). My tenants are, and always will be looked after at great lengths. I always look at costs of my rental properties in the following way:

Investment Property value : $400K     growth in 10yrs  and new value : $800K (assumptions: past performance since 1926 is similar to future performances) Therefore : Profit is approximately $40K p.a.

Pest inspection and spray, light bulb and tap washer (plumber) = $400 + $10 + $140 = $550

Do not pay from your wallet: Borrow this and your cost is only 6% x $550 = 63c per week less tax deduction at the Marginal tax rate of 31.5% (includes medicare levy) Total Cost = 43c per week .

I appreciate there are other costs, but when you look at the numbers and you look at this property game as a business I would say it is not a bad result??????  i.e. You will outlay an extra 43c p.w.  to help provide a stable $40k p.a. income.

When doing property investments the margins are not that fine, yet as most investors are Mums and Dads they fail to see the real DOLLARS and SENSE. Think like a business. Look after your tenants…………

http://www.birchcorp.com.au

Profile photo of sam2011sam2011
    @sam2011

Manita, thats definately the job of the landlord, you should not have to pay for something like that

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

manita that is correct the owner is responsible for this so contact the agent, It sounds like the thing you push down might just need adjusting.

Deanboy, I would probably pay for the pest inspection as you do not want your investment to get infested with bugs etc
    as for the light bulbs, I remember renting and the agent made us pay for any bulbs not working, but maybe you have an old lady renting your property, well then you may want to do this as I am sure she is not capable but if you have someone renting that should be capable then get them to change them otherwise they may start taking advantage of everything

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Maybe I am naive, but when I was a tenant I always bought and replaced any blown light bulbs. i have three IPs and am yet to pay for lightbulbs. i would have thought that they would be like toilet paper. They are somethinng that the tenant needs and uses and are not 'aatached' to the property like carpets or even window furnishings, so should be replaced by the tenant.  This discussion reminds me of the hosue that my friend purchased in the BLue Mountains,  a Lovely mult level home in the high $400k range and the vendor removed all the light bulbs before they moved out, I was gobsmacked at their stinginess.

Cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

I have plenty of enery saving light bulbs. I got it for free during the promotion. Took 6*6 sets and will last for 5 years 

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

god I here they suk the energy out of humans instead

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.