All Topics / General Property / NRAS ATO ruling 2009/146

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of JPS25JPS25
    Participant
    @jps25

For those interested in NRAS properties and worried about the ATO ruling on 19th Dec

xxxxxx Chief Executive OfficerQueensland Affordable Housing Consortium Ltd 

Dear xxxx,
    I am writing on behalf of the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs to confirm that the Government’s intention is that investors receive their full entitlement to the NRAS Incentive.The Hon Tanya Plibersek MP, Minister for Housing wrote to QAHC on the 24 December 2009 to address the consortium’s concerns related to whether investors are entitled to receive the full value of the NRAS incentive and to address any perceived ambiguity created as a result of the Australian Taxation Office’s ATOID 2009/146, in particular its reference to NEJV and participation in NRAS.  The Minister and Treasurer committed to a workable solution through an initial administrative solution and longer term to a legislative fix.  As advised in the letter of 13 January 2010 the Department has worked with the ATO to finalise an administrative solution to resolving the tax issues for non-entity joint ventures who may be affected in the 2009/10 financial year.  Regulatory and legislative amendments will be introduced in 2010 to effect a permanent fix for future years. An administrative solution has been agreed and is in the process of being implemented and will address the issue where, under current arrangements, certain entities participating as members of joint ventures involving head leasing and sub leasing arrangements may potentially have their NRAS Incentive taxed. The ATO has advised the Department that, depending on the legal form of the certificate, Incentives may be received tax free by the lead agency/approved participant; but they cannot be passed on to other members of the joint venture such as the investor/owner of the dwelling without a potential tax liability being passed onto the investor/owner.  When the lead agency passes on the incentive to the dwelling owner, income tax could be applied to the payment. The administrative solution will resolve the issue by issuing tax offset certificates directly to the investors/owners and in a format that will meet the ATO’s requirements to enable the offset to be obtained by the NRAS investor/dwelling owner without tax applying. The lead agency will also receive a consolidated copy of the certificates with dwelling schedules, as is current practice, for their records. The ATO has confirmed that this approach will meet their requirements. This approach is a short term solution to give practical effect to the Scheme’s policy intent that investors receive the full entitlement of the NRAS Incentive. I hope this letter is of assistance in clarifying the approach to the administrative solution and look forward to working with you to ensure the success of this solution.

Yours sincerely Susan FinniganBranch ManagerAffordable Housing Branch    8/02/2010   

The tax incentive is not taxable and is indexed linked. It covers the shortfall of the 20-25.1% rent reduction. They are not cheap housing they are built to a high standard and are for working people who have to fit the criteria. Not housing commision as some would have you believe. The lease is for 10 years and the tenants sign a 1, 3 or 5 year lease If the property is vacant for more than 2 weeks the property manager has to take the fall for it they are penalised heavily. This is why these properties are deemed as cashflow and pretty secure. This country is growing and needs more affordable housing, the government is trying to achieve this through this scheme.

For those out there who are negitive I suggest you do some research first before putting your comments out there.  For privacy reasons I have taken out the name of the person that this letter was sent to. I recieved it off him on Tuesday.

Profile photo of JPS25JPS25
    Participant
    @jps25

Also you are negativly geering more for 10 years, as you have 20-25.1% less rent coming in and slightly higher property fee's than the normal investor to offset against interest paid. Which in turns gives you a better tax deduction. Then on top of this you recieve between $80k-$100k over a 10 year period  tax free. Less chance of the property being vacant over the 10 year period is also a bonus. All of this is what makes it into a cashflow property.
    Those of you who do not seem to know a great deal about NRAS I suggest you read up on it you may be surprised.

Profile photo of euro73euro73
    @euro73

JPS

The biggest issue seems to be finance.  Can you assist with the following?

What lenders will accept NRAS approved properties as security?
    Are there any LVR restrictions?
    How do they calculate the NRAS incentive for serviceability?

Profile photo of VeroniqueVeronique
    @veronique

Does anybody on this forum own an NRAS home and if so, could they share the negatives with the rest of us who are considering this type of investment?

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Awaiting Henry Tax review

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Hi, excuse my ignorance but what does NRAS stand for and where are these properties located?

Thanks

Sonya

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

National Rental Affordability Scheme. Google it and you'll find both State and Federal Govt websites. Theres a LOT of reading..

I'm still trying to work out how to register as a NRAS builder/developer/provider….

@sonyasal

Thanks Matt, if i can work out how to register I will let you know, good luck, Sonya

@sonyasal

HI Matt and others who are interested,

i googled NRAS as suggested and went to this site, at the bottom there is a section where you can register your email and phone number for people to contact you to answer any questions you may have. Also on this site there is a list of information workshops/forums that are being held in most states, one is on tomorrow night.

National Rental Scheme

NRASscheme.com.au

cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of euro73euro73
    @euro73

The ATO has passed a ruling this week ….

National Rental Affordability
    Scheme Amendment
    Regulations 2010 (No. 1)
    Select Legislative Instrument 2010 No. 78
    I, QUENTIN BRYCE, Governor-General of the Commonwealth
    of Australia, acting with the advice of the Federal Executive
    Council, make the following Regulations under the National
    Rental Affordability Scheme Act 2008.
    Dated 6 May 2010
    QUENTIN BRYCE
    Governor-General
    By Her Excellency’s Command
    TANYA PLIBERSEK
    Minister for Housing
    Federal Register of Legislative Instruments F2010L01193

The amendments that have been identified as being necessary or desirable for the
    continued efficient operation of the Scheme include:
    – providing endorsed charitable institutions with the option to elect to receive a tax
    offset certificate rather than a payment;
    – The intention of the Scheme is that the full incentive should be provided to
    participants in the Scheme who have complied with all relevant requirements.
    – Currently, approved participants which are endorsed charitable institutions are
    required to receive their incentive as a payment and where they act on behalf
    of other parties, they may expose those other parties to a tax obligation when
    they pass on a portion of any incentive payment received.
    – Where an endorsed charitable institution acts on behalf of other parties and
    wants to pass on the relevant share of the Scheme incentive to those parties
    without any reduction through the application of tax, this would be more
    readily achieved by means of a tax offset certificate.
    – Accordingly, providing such approved participants with the option to elect to
    receive a tax offset certificate rather than a payment is intended to offer an
    alternative for recipients of incentive to access appropriate National Rental
    Affordability Scheme Tax Offset provisions in the Income Tax Assessment Act
    1997. The amendment will allow a choice of means for passing on an
    incentive to parties with the aim being, if possible, for those parties to receive
    a full entitlement that is not reduced through the application of tax.

Requests were received from Endorsed Charitable Institutions participating in the
    Scheme to have an option to receive a tax offset certificate rather than a payment.
    The Treasury, and through them the Australian Taxation Office, have been consulted
    on the amendments.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.