All Topics / Help Needed! / Capital Growth – Elizabeth Bay & Potts Point (Sydney)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi all

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the areas of Elizabeth Bay and Potts Point.  Specifically, I'm interested in the likelihood of capital growth in these areas, and how large or small the growth is likely to be.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Wow … and hello JacM

We have 4 one bedders there … love it love it love it … growth and rent … No.1 area in Australia IMHO

Read Peter Spanns books … that is how Peter Spann began to build his empire … one bedders in the Eastern suburbs …

My advise to new and young investors … including my children … Buy second hand renovators (one bedders) close to CBDs and North shore train stations  in Syd or similar suburbs in major cities … stay away from new 4 bed h&l in outer suburbs that my solicitor calls …..

Tomorrows slums today …

Summary EB and Potts Point YES …

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi W4L
    Are you talking about walk-ups?
    lifts?
    how many floors?
    strata costs ?
    You gotta good agent in that area ?
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@wealth4life.com

Hi Crest,

You just do a google search or realestate.com.au … do your home work you have to look at 20 to find the one that turns you on …

I don't care about lifts etc etc … I care about ROI … toooooo many to technical people here or too young to understand …

Great area Crest … question is this … how much is a one bedder in Japan, China, Korea, New York ???

Also all the wealthiest people in Australia invest there … John Symonns Aussie Home loans … Harry Trigerboth Meriton … Packers … the list goes on …

Penrith or Point Piper ??? Sydney Eastern Suburbs is not for nerds…. sorry for spelling in a rush doing a report …

Participant
    @thecrest

1. Why mention Japan China Korea or NY ?

2. Packers fortunes very mixed. Unsure about the others, most of 'em can afford to lose a whole suburb.
    3. Following Packers n Murdochs has already cost me money in the past.
    4. Care to share any real figures on Elizabeth Bay & Potts Point ?

Any real data appreciated
    cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Thankyou everyone for your time thus far.

Hi Wealth4Life,

The average annual capital growth over the last 10 years for both Elizabeth Bay and Potts Point units/apartments as published in the January edition of API was not good.  ie less than 3% per annum.  These figures are confusing given the hype about these areas.  Do you have some knowledge that we're not privy to?

Email Me | Phone Me

@wealth4life.com

OMG

Crest 1 – Major cities 2 – no reply 3 – no reply 4 – my business is not your business, i'm doing OK

JacM 1 – then why ask 2 – yes my results and refer to 4 above

Question … how many properties do you own now … why does every property need to be an outstanding winner for so many here … investing is over a 25 year term … I am not paying my mortgages and debts off my tenants are …

Properties close to all major CDBs in the world out perform all other suburbs over time … values in real estate are calculated from the CBD outwards … talk to a valuer … 99% of the time over time, say 20 years … read more books.

What is the MOST expensive suburb in Sydney "JacM" and why is that? …

Opinions are like bellybuttons "everybody has one" … every jurno has a different storey boys …

No more comments from me on this one …

Participant
    @jacm

Hi wealth4life –

Thanks again for you reply.  I agree that investing is for the long term – I'm merely nervous about apartments in that they don't have the land factor that is relied upon for capital growth.  You obviously have property in the area and have been happy with performance.  I am as such genuinely interested in your opinion.  The API mag results did confuse me, so I'm trying to understand the area a bit better.  Apologies if I offended you – definitely not the intent.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @thecrest

As I understand it, the spirit of this Forum is to help others and ourselves by requesting information, asking questions, and sharing information by posting it and discussing it. 

AQs far as I'm concerned, this Forum is a fantastic place to get and give help, and it needs people with the right attitude.
    If you don't want people to ask you questions, and don't want to share info, then don't comment on your interests or holdings, just stay out of the posts and the forum.

thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@wealth4life.com

OK i'll play …

JacM … Articles are just opinions … the next API will talk about the high growths over time in major cities … one up next down … the truth is this the value of real estate is calculated from a CBD center out wards world wide … ask a valuer or become with one … ask a real estate agent …

Secondly — one of the most STABLE investment areas in Sydney is the North Shore — WHY ?? — Answer Private schools and Hospitals … (lots of professionals live there because of the private schools)

Where on the North Shore is the most expensive real estate … Answer — within 500 meters from a train line … why … answer Shopping centers, private schools, hospitals, retirement, aged care etc etc … same reason as real estate around the CBD like Potts Point

You can follow this theory anywhere in any major city … Read Philip Sigglekows book (Australian) 201 ways the rich use when buying real estate …. all covered in this simple book and reference manual

JacM … no apology needed most real estate is about common sense and not opinions in books, 2 years ago a so called expert said it was the bottom of the market, I asked him to put it in writing on this site and he wouldn't "lucky for him he didn't"

Finally Cresty my friend … we were talking about the value of real estate in this question around the CBD and in particular Potts Point, so your comments 2 & 3 had no relevance to this … the topic is about EB and Potts Point and Growth … 

My opinion in summary to this question is this … unless you are a trader like Steve who sells jaust as many as they buy … a stable long term strategy for buy and hold is stick to CBDs — Train Stations in particular —

I NEVER buy property outside 500 meters from a train line — sorry I lied, I have and I lost money ie didn't double in 10 years, actually 2 lost and one took 3 years to sell "Proserpine"

I'm feeling like some lovin !!.

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi W4L
    Great info and food for thought.

"  Also all the wealthiest people in Australia invest there … John Symonns Aussie Home loans … Harry Trigerboth Meriton … Packers … the list goes on …"  quote from your post – I merely commented on what you raised in relation to investment in CBD so definately relevant. This was why I mentioned Packers, I was commenting on these people because you raised them as examples .

Anyway, thanks for the info.
    cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @jacm

I wasn't referring to an article but the tables at the rear of the magazine.  That data is sold to API by "Australian Property Monitors".  I can't imagine the data is an opinion – it would have to be based on actual fact…

Confusing. 

I have written to "Australian Property Monitors" to see if I can get some clarification.

Email Me | Phone Me

@wealth4life.com

I understand …

How about doing this oversize for me … get all the reports Resi — RPData — API — APM — Hotspoting — Realestate.com.au — Domain —etc etc and compare them … welcome to my world.

Most of these people copy from each other then when someone asks them or challenges them they say that they got to information from and relied upon xxxxxxxx discrediting the other person …

Same as being a politician … they say I didn't make the rule it was the previous government I'm just trying to fix it … then by the time they stuff it someone else is in hahahaha

Participant
    @jacm

hahaha fair call :-)

It's none of my business, but if you fancy, it'd be super interesting to see what sort of % growth over x number of years your investments in the area have enjoyed?

Email Me | Phone Me

@wealth4life.com

3 fold … one I got for 120k now easy over 500k

One in Balmain 50 meters to Darling street Ferry paid $42,000.00 25 years ago … worst unit in its day nobody wanted it …

Participant
    @jacm

wow awesome – how long did it take to go from 120k to 500k?

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

1 thing to note about the Packers, Kerry was never able to make serious money in property so he stuck to the things that he knew best – business, media empires & polo. James has had a little more luck but nothing to write home about.

Participant
    @jacm

Personally, I don't expect to make serious money from property.  If I do, bonus.  However at the bare minimum, I do expect it to fund a certain percentage of my retirement income.  The prospect of putting all my retirement eggs into a super fund managed by someone else who could manage it well or could manage it badly, is too much of a risk for me to swallow.  I can't see how it could possibly achieve my requirements unless it does grow at an average of at least 10% a year.  Not much to ask, I don't think.

Email Me | Phone Me

@wealth4life.com

Sorry Scott you are wrong,

Kerry Packer was one of the largest holders in Australia of real estate and land holdings – it's called security Scott.

Investing your money with a financial planner or in the stock market is risky IMHO and I do both.

I look at real estate from this angle … 1 – I buy it and get it into a cash flow positive position asap … 2 – then I work out how to get the tax man and the tenant to pay my debt out between 10/15 years … so if I have a property investment valued at $400K and i'm not paying for it then in 10/15 years I am $400K richer assuming ZERO growth.

Thats why I only invest now in CBDs or within 500 meters from a train station – private school etc

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.