All Topics / Help Needed! / How should I buy an investment property?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of Thomas LeeThomas Lee
    @thomas-lee

Hello everyone

I am a 17 year old student and I will have access to around $22,000 by the beginning of next year. I want to purchase an investment property with this money, but I know close to nothing about purchasing a house. I live in the western suburbs of Melbourne and the minimum price for a house here is around $240,000. With the current interest rates, the monthly repayment would be around $1400.

How should I approach this? Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of bricmanbricman
    Participant
    @bricman

Hi there

First take a look at the post Answers to "Where to Find CF+ Deals" by adam i think it is, he has posted some very good tips for finding property.

Good starting point grab an edition of Australian Property Magazine and in the back they list all the terminology that you need to know, i.e. cash flow positive, rental yield etc, good place to familiarize yourself with the terms used in property investing.

Look at your budget, how much can i afford to borrow but more importantly how much can i afford to repay.
    Its a bit of hard question to nail down, but start off with the API magazine and keep immersing yourself in the subject and keep asking questions on the forum.

But ultimately it comes down to the numbers and what you can and cannot afford.

Hope this helps, keep me posted.

All the best

Ian

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Thomas

You mention you are a 17 year old student.  Does this mean you are in high school or university?  Do you have an income in the form of a part-time job or otherwise?  The bank will probably insist on seeing an income stream before dishing out money.  If you have no income stream, what is the plan if the tenant in your investment property fails to pay rent, or if there is an unexpected cost associated with the property?  (Perhaps a plumbing problem…)

When do you plan to no longer be a student, and instead be in the workforce?

If you are unlikely to have an income stream for a while, an idea to add to the mix might be considering buying something "Off the plan", which means you are buying something that is still under construction, or proposed to be constructed.  You pay a small amount, and  the balance is not due until the property is completed in a year or two.  It is important to be careful such properties are not overvalued, or in fact that there are too many of them, causing a situation where there are more properties (of its kind at least), than there are available tenants to live in them.  I read recently that it can be possible to buy a deposit bond or bank deposit for say, $2500, which secures the property (you'd still want to ensure the bank was prepared to loan the rest tho!), but you don't have to find any other money until the property is completed.  Hopefully by that stage it has gone up in value and you can refinance with the bank, thereby getting a higher loan-to-value ratio.

Another possibility is doing a joint venture – perhaps with someone that has access to money or has equity in a property.  You could offer to do your bit with the cash you have, and also doing a lot of the legwork in finding a suitable property, and perhaps doing some minor renovation work, based on your skillset.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Thomas LeeThomas Lee
    @thomas-lee
    briceman wrote:
    Hi there

First take a look at the post Answers to "Where to Find CF+ Deals" by adam i think it is, he has posted some very good tips for finding property.

Good starting point grab an edition of Australian Property Magazine and in the back they list all the terminology that you need to know, i.e. cash flow positive, rental yield etc, good place to familiarize yourself with the terms used in property investing.

Look at your budget, how much can i afford to borrow but more importantly how much can i afford to repay.
    Its a bit of hard question to nail down, but start off with the API magazine and keep immersing yourself in the subject and keep asking questions on the forum.

But ultimately it comes down to the numbers and what you can and cannot afford.

Hope this helps, keep me posted.

All the best

Ian

Thanks for the tip

JacM wrote:
    Hi Thomas

You mention you are a 17 year old student. Does this mean you are in high school or university? Do you have an income in the form of a part-time job or otherwise? The bank will probably insist on seeing an income stream before dishing out money. If you have no income stream, what is the plan if the tenant in your investment property fails to pay rent, or if there is an unexpected cost associated with the property? (Perhaps a plumbing problem…)

When do you plan to no longer be a student, and instead be in the workforce?

If you are unlikely to have an income stream for a while, an idea to add to the mix might be considering buying something "Off the plan", which means you are buying something that is still under construction, or proposed to be constructed. You pay a small amount, and the balance is not due until the property is completed in a year or two. It is important to be careful such properties are not overvalued, or in fact that there are too many of them, causing a situation where there are more properties (of its kind at least), than there are available tenants to live in them. I read recently that it can be possible to buy a deposit bond or bank deposit for say, $2500, which secures the property (you'd still want to ensure the bank was prepared to loan the rest tho!), but you don't have to find any other money until the property is completed. Hopefully by that stage it has gone up in value and you can refinance with the bank, thereby getting a higher loan-to-value ratio.

Another possibility is doing a joint venture – perhaps with someone that has access to money or has equity in a property. You could offer to do your bit with the cash you have, and also doing a lot of the legwork in finding a suitable property, and perhaps doing some minor renovation work, based on your skillset.

I am currently in high school, but when I get access to the money, I would be starting university. I do have an income from youth allowance for 200 a fortnight, and I could also get a part time job if needed. I plan to stay in uni for upwards of 6 years, which is why I’m doing this in the first place – to have a nice amount of money when I graduate. I originally planned to take out a loan under my parents name, would this be a good idea?

Profile photo of climbingjacclimbingjac
    Participant
    @climbingjac

Whether it is a good idea to take out a loan under your parents name is a matter for you and your parents to discuss.  What about buying in your name, but having your parents use some of the equity in their home to help you with your deposit?  This is probably your best chance of getting on the ladder.  You can ring the bank home loan info line, or a mortgage broker, and ask them to explain the concept if you and your parents are not across it.

I'm uncertain whether the bank will include Youth Allowance when assessing how much income you have to service your loan.

You'll probably need to get yourself that part time job before applying for the loan.  A few months before, in fact.

At the end of the day, the bank isn't going to give you a big wad of cash because you think it would be nice to have a property for when you graduate.  They will give you cash only if they can see you can repay it.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Wont be able to take out the loan in your parents name yet hold the asset in your name so that is out of the equasion.

If your parents take out a loan for the deposit and then gift this to you (even if you end up paying it back) you maybe able to obtain a loan in your name subject to serviceability.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@thomas-lee
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Wont be able to take out the loan in your parents name yet hold the asset in your name so that is out of the equasion.

If your parents take out a loan for the deposit and then gift this to you (even if you end up paying it back) you maybe able to obtain a loan in your name subject to serviceability.

Could you please elaborate?

Participant
    @qlds007

Thomas yes simply you cant have the Title in your name and the loan in your parents.

Nothing to stop however your parents taking out a loan secured against their property and they in turn lend the funds to you.
    You take out a loan yourself to secure the balance.

Profile photo of charliewebbcharliewebb
    Participant
    @charliewebb

The best thing to do is to get some property investing knowledge and it is virtually free.
    You can do this by reading books and formulating a plan and there are plenty of books in the library these days.
    In the meantime you need to work out how you can borrow and what you have to do to borrow, usually it is to have an income.
    But as they say "there is more than one way to skin a cat" and property investing offers plenty of opportunity for someone with the right knowledge
    Maybe your parents have enough equity in their house for them to help you buy without going to the bank.
    These days with higher rents you should be able to buy a house that is close to cash flow neutral.
    To get your parents to help you I would be putting forward a plan to them showing you know what ytou are doing and why you are doing it. You can formulate a plan quite easily by reading books because that is what I did.
    There is a fortune to be made in property if you know what you are doing and some of the books give you a step by step process to follow.

Profile photo of lowy44lowy44
    @lowy44

Thomas, I wish I had my head screwed on when I was your age. I lived life to the max instead of moderation and planning for the future. I believe you are doing the right thing. And as said previously, knowledge is everything. Subscribe to property magazines, read websites, download e-books, get yourself along to a seminar or two, all of which I did aswell, and I am now looking for my 2nd Investment property. I am trying to instill to my kids about property, even though they are a little young yet, but being money wise is what its all about. OPM – other peoples money, (you have the loan / debt, they pay it off in rent).

Good luck and hope it all goes well for you

Profile photo of Melbourne3000Melbourne3000
    @melbourne3000

Good on ya mate!
    Make it happen, If you were to get a House at your age and JUST have The Tenants pay The Interest you would have a Property that will have Increased Dramatically by the time you are 25.
    And that would mean Capital Growth and / Equity.
    If you have The Vision to do this then Go ahead,  just buy something that has Potential, and try Buying a House for The sake of The Land.
    If you Buy right a Developer may want to Build Units on your site or you can consider this as an option for yourself.
    There Is so much to know and Learn If you like you can contact myself.
    It Is better that you Discipline yourself now instead of wasting alot of Money In your Growing up years.
    You will be miles ahead of your Friends If you do as you say and act on this and make It a Reality.
    Looking Forward to Hearing from you!

Profile photo of property88property88
    @property88

Thomas, that’s fantastic. Just remember to take your time and seek advice from those who are qualified and have credentials. Do your research, ask others who have got results that you want to achieve. Don’t be in too much of a hurry is the best advice. It is exciting – but keep a calm head – and remember, some people will tell you anything.

Profile photo of Melbourne3000Melbourne3000
    @melbourne3000

In regards to what Property88 has to say I would be Interested to know what Investments He has and what Qualifications He has also.
    I am a Qualified Tradesman who has worked with and know's Residential and Commercial Builder's and Developers, Carpenters, Finance Consultants, people with Multiple Properties and I have studied The Melbourne Realestate Market for 11 years now.
    I have Properties of my own also.
    If you do choose to just wait and not take The required action you will be like every other person who has good Intentions to enter Into The Realestate Market but does nothing about it.
    Absolutely you need to be wise about your First Property Purchase, but you do not have to have a Phd.  Just common sense.
    Melbourne has a Plan which Is known as 2030, by that time Property will become so Highly priced most people will have to Rent/Lease as they do In England as we speak.
    If you look at the Increase Of House and Land prices since The 1970s you will see there may be a few ups and downs but The Trend is always upwards.
    In The 70s Houses were perhps 20k 30k now that same House could possibly be Worth 1 million Dollars.
    Australia has experienced Dramatic price rises In the last 10 years.
    What do you think will happen in The next 10 years….. Hello!

Participant
    @qlds007

Melbourne just to correct a couple of points:

Thomas Lee is 17 years of age and therefore unable to enter into a contract to purchase a property by law.

Even at 18 he will be restricted by serviceability. It is called the GFC and lenders have just about stopped lending unless you can clearly show you can service the loan.

In England the majority of people do not rent/lease. Coming from the old dart the Country has the highest propertion of owner occupation throughout Europe and with over 67% of home ownership.

Profile photo of CAN DOCAN DO
    Participant
    @can-do

You're doing well so far by taking the first step and asking questions about managing your money and building your future wealth.  Well done!

Suggest you investigate setting up a Trust for the property with a company as the Trustee of the Trust.  Your parents could possibly be the Directors of the Trustee Company (if they have an unblemished financial record), and you and your parents can decide who should be the beneficiaries of the Trust.  Then look at you, (and your parents?), lending money to the Trust for the purchase, borrowing in the name of the Trust for the balance of the purchase, and if your parents are working perhaps they could be guarantors on the loan so as to meet the servicability requirements.

If you can find, or create, a +CF property the Trust should have money to distribute each year and your circumstances suggest that under current tax law it may be possible for you to receive a distribution amount tax free – (for you to put towards your next investment perhaps?)

You are on the right track, stick with it – where there is a will there is a way!  You will need some professional advice that takes into account all of your (and your parents) personal circumstances.  A half hour chat each with a legal eagle (regarding the Trust/Company structure), accountant (regarding the tax aspects), and a mortgage broker (regarding the lending aspects) should clarify things for you – there may be a cost especially for the legal and accounting advice although mortgage brokers often offer their services free to you (shop around, some may offer initial interview free hoping for future business).

Good Luck!

@thomas-lee

I’ve discussed this with my parents and they said that I could use the equity from our current house. In what ways does this affect their monthy repayment, and how should I repay them, do I give them the money from rent, or do I pay it all off after I’ve sold the property?

Profile photo of quickchickquickchick
    @quickchick

Hi Thomas,

Your parents are very kind to help you.
    I agree that you couldn't get a loan in your name (bank will look at cost of living, and $200pw won't go far!)
    Definitely repay parents from rent, if following CAN DO's (I think) plausible suggestion.
    Your deposit may cover conveyancing, Trust set up and accountants advice, but probably not all the not stamp duty (depending on purchase price and state property is in.) (You don't have to buy in your state, but need legals to purchase to be done in state of purchase. Agent may advise you on someone who does a good job. Or ask on forum.)

Your parents should talk to their accountant about how this affects them.
    You should be clear on how it affects you. eg if you take more than $120pw in cashflow (including any part time wages), you'll start losing your Centrelink allowance. 

Ask your accountant in Family Trust structure, do your parents stand to lose their house if the deal falls over for some reason?

(Having said that, I think it is a great idea and worth pursuing. Speak to a mortgage broker re "what would it take. How much equity from your parent's house would the Trust need to get the loan approved." etc.
    May need to try several brokers, may be a bit hard for one who only usually does family homes.

quickchick 

Profile photo of Investment-MortgagesInvestment-Mortgages
    @investment-mortgages

I think it is also worth doing a worst case senario also.
    Protecting your assets is just as important as building them up.

Do few examples,
    The Investment property is unrented? Who pays the gap?
    You lose your income? Who pays?
    Your parents hit a pothole? How are they covered?
    The place burns down? Will insurance cover?

Im in no way being negative, you are far smarter than 96% of your peers for taking action.
    Just cover all bases!

Like the saying goes,- Prepare for the worst, However enjoy the best!!!

Your in the right place, this forum is very powerful for grouping intelligent minds!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.