All Topics / Help Needed! / Good areas for subdivision in QLD?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

Yes I know I should do my own homework, etc, but some discussion has come up with QLD as being a good spot to do some subdivisions. Uhhhh I know it is North….. That is about it. So anyone got any pointers on where councils are either happy/approving subdivisions or areas that are in need of it. No, I do not want all of your secrets, money trees, addresses of you cash cows paddock, just a quick map so I have something to go on rather than nuthin. I can't jump a plane or I would fly up and take a spin around. Any help would be great so I can weed out some areas and try to narrow down the map of QLD.

Ta all for all your help.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of ThebigshaggyThebigshaggy
    @thebigshaggy

HI DWolfe,

Im a bricklayer in brisbane and when i was "doing my time'', i did quite a few subdisions/6 packs townhouses.
    Depends on your budget and where your looking at buying.
    For a simple subdivide just splitting the block i recommend:
    In brisbane i would recomend mitchelton/ashgrove/nundah/sandgate. They are located on the north side of brisbane mainly made up of queenslanders and post war homes and are usually on larger blocks. Prices range from about 400-600k.
    OR
    You could buy in redcliffe are which is located about 30 mins north of brisbane. Areas like kippa ring/woody point/scarborough/clontarf. Prices there are considerably lower.
    I havent had much to do with the southside so i cant really help you there.

If you were looking for a much larger scale. Theres not much left close to town so youll probably have to look about 20-30 mins out of brisbane at areas like Deception Bay/caboolture/dayboro. Its very cheap out there. The neigborhoods have a bit of a bad reputation but i live there and have never had a problem.

I have also been looking on realestate.com.au and house prices in toowomba are very cheap. The blocks are quite large.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Thanks TBS,

Better to have somewhere to start rather than the whole state :)

D

Email Me

Profile photo of nitrodropsnitrodrops
    @nitrodrops

Hi All,

One query with regards to subdivision.

When choosing the land for subdivision with existing homes, what are the stuff to watch out for? So that Council will approve easily?

Below are my views, please kindly correct if i am wrong
    – big land, preferrably >800sqm
    – no pipes running below the land
    – even land
    – not within flood zone
    – not DCP

Cheers
    Nit

Participant
    @dwolfe

TREES! Depending on councils, the rubbish old tree which barely has any leaves must be kept and it doesn't matter if it is right in the middle of where you want to put a building! Yeah watch out for trees, Look for land in areas where there are recent subdivisions, this is good and bad. The architects and builders prefer a slope that is towards the street but they will cope. Check the overlays no environmental or heritage overlays that prevent all but very specific things, like only have building on 1/3 of the land or something.

Ahhh I could just go on and on, more development please! (but in the right areas!)

D

Email Me

@nitrodrops
    DWolfe wrote:
    TREES! Depending on councils, the rubbish old tree which barely has any leaves must be kept and it doesn't matter if it is right in the middle of where you want to put a building! Yeah watch out for trees, Look for land in areas where there are recent subdivisions, this is good and bad. The architects and builders prefer a slope that is towards the street but they will cope. Check the overlays no environmental or heritage overlays that prevent all but very specific things, like only have building on 1/3 of the land or something.

Thnx mate.

A couple of qns for a newbie.

1.) Why would the architects and builders prefer a slope that is towards the street?
    For new houses without using stumps, i assume the land gradient should not be more than 3 meters?

2.) Even the old tree (which barely has any leaves) is on the land which i am going to own? I also have to ask Council for approval to chop a tree growing on my land?

3.) Check the overlays no environmental or heritage overlays that prevent all but very specific things, like only have building on 1/3 of the land or something.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? Does it means once i subdivide a land into 2 titles and build 2 houses, that should be safe?

Thanks mate.

Cheers
    Nit

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi,

1. Slope towards the street for drainage, storm water etc or it flows towards ur houses but they can get around that.

2. QLD may be different in Victoria every tree is sacred lol. Check the council website they normally have a document on trees and development which will tell you about it. Try and avoid really big natives or old trees that have been there for ever these are the ones the councils like. Sometimes you can get around it by planning a native garden or by moving trees etc.

3. When you look at the block the sect 32 or sellers documents will have whether there are any restrictions, covenants,caveats on what you can do with the land.

The overlays in some areas mean that you can only build in keeping with historical buildings etc and can not demolish older buildings to build new. If renovating u must use materials in keeping with the existing materials. Environmental overlays mean that they are trying to preserve a bush feel etc and only want parts of the area to have buildings and not dense building.

Some blocks have details such as stone or dirt cannot be carted away from the site ie can't be used as a quarry, so just watch for odd things that may put a crimp in your plans.

The site for Vic is land.vic.gov.au which has land zoning, overlays, where easements are (you generally can't build on an easement) I googled it and it looks like there are similar sites for other states. These are things that you generally can't change and you don't have a say in.

Good luck, find a good architect or DM, town planner etc and get them to go through some things first before shopping and then u can email them blocks etc for them to look at for you. They can then advise you as to why you may only fit one dwelling on a block or why something is really suitable for 3 units etc.

D

Email Me

@nitrodrops

Thnx mate.

What happens if i go for a double block or double title, i assume it will save me all these trouble? of course with all the subdivision done, the price will be more.

Cheers
    Nit

Participant
    @dwolfe

No worries,

You are right once the permits and all the plans are approved then it will save you time, but you may make less money. As long as when you have done your feasibility study that you will still make a good profit on this then go with it. Take a look to see if there are undivided blocks so you can compare prices to see how much extra you paying. It may not be that much but it might cost you an extra 100k-150 depending on the area, whereas if you did the planning part your self you may only spend 50k max. If it is a hot market and the demand for new housing is huge then going with the already subdivided block will be a good move.

Study the plans for the dwellings that have been approved and just make sure they are right for the block and right for the area. You may want to try and amend them if for instance they have done something that may not fit with the target market ie laundry incorporated into the kitchen in a three bedroom TH where there maybe three separate people sharing and having that space wasted as a walk in robe. Who wants someone else underwear washing when you are trying to cook or eat :)

Enjoy, I'm going to go look at fresh laid carpet!

D

Email Me

@nitrodrops
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.