All Topics / General Property / Help buying first property

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of sprunksprunk
    @sprunk

Hi.I have found an an apartment which i am interested in buying.Just not shure where i should start my offer at.They are asking for offers over 270k though i am hoping to get it for around 260 which is pretty much my limit.If i make a first offer of 255 does sound fair.Or does this mean the agent is strictly looking for offers over 270?I know its a bit of a vague question i am just looking for a rough guide so i know whether im wasting my time or not.
    Thanks

Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor

Definitely fair – In the same circumstance I would offer around $250k and see what sort of response you get.

Then go to $255k, and ultimately up to $260k if you have to.

And if it goes above your budget, let it go! There will always be another opportunity around the corner,and it gives you more time to save money.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Totally Agree.. Over XXX price is REA marketing hype…
    Just offer what you think is reasonable…. you probably need to cope with few F words from the REA agent :)
    Done it before!!!! Get hung up on the phone :)

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

The REA has to present all offers that are in writing. Badger them to get it in writing. Put in an end date and see what happens. Plenty of vendors will go with a bird in the hand :) don't be afraid to negotiate. Remember if you don't get it it is still good practice for next time. Don't let emotion get in your way (very hard when you are on the edge of your seat). If you can't do written and want to play phone tag have a crack at this

Start at odd numbers

eg.  I've had a look around at some other properties, this one seems to tick all the boxes so I would like to offer $262,500.

They come back with no pretty much straight away. This is where you pump the agent for information. What sort of offers is the vendor looking at. Will they accept offers under the $270 mark, would they prefer shorter settlement etc. You say, look I need to confer with husband, wife, accountant, bank manager etc, I'll call you back.

Wait a little while even if you are not conferring. maybe 1/2 hr 40 mins. Then call back, ok I can up my offer.I can offer   $264, 700 (for instance) but this should be with a bit more hesitation, maybe talk about other properties you have seen for less etc. Keep them hopping and guessing while u stay calm and confident.

They may take longer to come back, the longer the better. A couple hrs is great 20 mins is not. If they take longer they have really considered it and the next offer will pretty much get it. They may offer something else $269 for instance, you say ill call you back after talking to xyz, This is where you put in what you want to pay, if that is $267 for instance put it in. This is the best price which is up on your last offer but down on theirs. Hold your nerve. This will be the quickest and longest 10 mins of your life if you are accepted.

If there is a lot of competition on a property this is not going to be great and you will find that it is hard to even get a negotiation started because they have 10 people trying it on.  If the property has been on for a while and they are keen genuine vendors then all systems go. Don't go really hard but go hard enough so that everyone is happy and everyone feels like they got a good deal.

Enjoy hope this helped even a little!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of UnrealUnreal
    @unreal

If your offer is rejected, make sure you call in a few weeks and see how they feel about it.  Like Dwolfe said, if the property has been listed a while they'll start getting desperate.  A desperate seller is just the type you're after.

Profile photo of sprunksprunk
    @sprunk

Thanks for your help everyone.Helped a lot.

Participant
    @younginvestor

No problems sprunk – Make sure you post back to let us know how it goes!

Good Luck!

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer
    DWolfe wrote:
    Start at odd numbers

Just a slight disagreement here: as a recent vendor, this use of odd numbers was very irritating.    It just indicated a silly round of  game playing coming up.

As a buyer, I have one price, my highest, which the seller needs to take or leave within a few hours.      If it's rejected I am willing to negotiate terms but not price.

Don't forget also, that when a buyer thinks that all this "negotiating" is going on with the seller, buyer and RE, the RE is actually just pulling phone calls out of a hat to work the buyer up into a lather of panic.

Participant
    @dwolfe

Thanks Singer,

I'll remember the single price option for next time as it is very strong. Good comments on the RE, I think it does depend on what you are buying and where. It is hard to know what is genuine from them and what is a load. I think a mix of strategies when negotiating doesn't hurt and the ability to be flexible on something other than price really does take the focus off 'how much'.

D

Email Me

@sprunk

Ok this is how it panned out.I put in a offer at 252 which got rejected,went up to 256,got rejected again then went to 260 which also got rejected.At that point i was told he would not accept anything under 266 so i had to walk away from it

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

woww… stand at A$256k for few weeks.. otherwise the REA thinks that you are desperate…
    Well..ring them back in 2 weeks time… and ask whether they could negotiate the price to
    lower range of 260k

Participant
    @dwolfe

Well done! Yeah I would just stay at that. Plenty more investment properties in the sea (or the country) If you do not get it don't worry as something better generally pops up and if you do get a call in a few weeks then you will be in the position of power. I've read a few  books and people put in stupid amounts of offers (like 100) to secure 1 or 2 properties for really cheap prices so I wouldn't worry about 1 offer! The other great thing is that it puts a number in the vendors mind. They can then sit for a couple weeks thinking that they would really like that amount of money :)

Keep it up, don't panic, remain confident!

D

Email Me

Participant
    @younginvestor

Love your work sprunk – that's what negotiating is all about, and you get better at it very quickly. You will get different reactions from different agents and start to get a feel for what price they think the property will go for.

I also totally agree with DW and GOM – let them stew over it for a while! The worst that can happen is that they sell the property for a higher price than you were willing to pay, and you go look for another deal.

If they call you back, and you are still willing to pay $260k, then make sure you negotiate terms that are more favourable and comfortable to you as you are now the one with the power!

God I love negotiation LOL!

@sprunk

Ok.I have put that property out of my mind for the moment.I have found another place im interested in though it happens to be listed with the same REA.If i decide to make an offer,will this make it hard for me to negotiate because he already has a rough idea of my walk away price?

Participant
    @dwolfe

Not neccessarily. Is this place identical in every way? Probably not. You may be willing to pay more/less for this property because it has xyz features/benifits that the previous property didn't have. Make a joke out of it, try to build raport with the REA. "I always love a bargain" or "I'm a bargain hunter from way back", "I never pay retail". They will understand that u will be always after a good deal. (And will always want best price)

Also the REA will take most things buyers say with a grain of salt. You may have more money from friends relatives etc. I wouldn't worry, just have at it   He/she would have heard it all before , "I wont pay more than $$, oh but actually…."

Good luck and remember to breathe and relax :)

D

Email Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.