All Topics / Legal & Accounting / costs of property conveyancing help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of cathbirchcathbirch
    Participant
    @cathbirch

we engaged a lawyer who was recommended by the agent selling off the plan
    who included a flyer stating a set cost of $440 for this particular group of lawerys
    due to finance not being approved by the bank the lawyer has had to email us many times and question us about the finance i have just received a bill for $1500 where do we stand

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Put it into the disputes register asap, then argue the toss. an email should be a single billing unit (6 minutes), obviously a letter would take longer. The lawyer should include some degree of follow up etc within their price regardless.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

You should have had a costs agreement sent to you before you engaged the solicitor.  Did you get that?  Did you agree to a price for the conveyance? 

I agree with Scott.  If the fee was supposed to be $440 then, unless the solicitor told you that due to extra work his/her fee would be much higher, you should be be able to dispute the extra costs.  Call the Law society in whatever state the solicitor is in.

Good luck

K

Profile photo of cathbirchcathbirch
    Participant
    @cathbirch

thank you for this the agent has said he will come to the party with costsas he reccomended the lawyer but I will still follow up with the law society
    what stinks is they made a hash of passing the contract onto our broker the lawyer rang to apologise about this all very nice of him but i bet he was charging by the minute to say sorry!!!
    is it necessary to have a lawyer in QLD?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

You are probably better off with a solicitor in the jurisdiction in which you are purchasing – at least they are au fait with local legislation, building/pest inspectors etc in the area without having to read the local (state) property act.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.