All Topics / Help Needed! / A GST question if anyone can help me?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of jmiellejmielle
    Participant
    @jmielle

I’ve been advised by my accountant that if I subdivide one of my properties and build a unit at the back, the unit that I build becomes GST applicable. Can anyone shed some light on this? I was always under the assumption that residential was GST free.

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Hi Joel,

You are right in that normally residential property does not attract GST, but if you sell new residential property, and you doing this as a business, you are required to pay GST. Basically, if you are in the business of building residential property, and your turnover is more than $75,000, you are required to register for GST.

The GST can be calculated using a system called the margin scheme, which reduces the amount of GST that you pay on sale.

eg

Bought land for                       $300,000 (assuming purchased after 1 July 2000)
    Development Expenditure    $250,000 (you can claim GST credits on these purchases if you are registered for GST)
    Sold for:                                    $650,000

Your GST under the margin scheme would be: (sales price less cost price) / 11
    = $(650,000 – 300,000) / 11
    = $31,818

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Also, on the contract of sale, you must notify the purchaser that you have chosen to apply the margin schem, otherwise you could be up for the full 1/11th of the sale price.

Profile photo of jmiellejmielle
    Participant
    @jmielle

Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose I’d be better off selling the land (Subdivision) rather than building on it.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Well, you'd still be caught up under the margin scheme anyway. The only difference being your exposure to borrowing and the duration of the project.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.