All Topics / Help Needed! / LVR calculations – how to do it on a second property?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of BronteBronte
    Participant
    @bronte

Hi!

Yes, we are slow in the country!

I want to work out an LVR by adding a 2nd property to an existing mortgage – but am uncertain about where the cash deposit fits into the equation.

For example:

I have one property valued at 440k.

I want to purchase a 2nd property valued at 524k.

My mortgage on the 1st property stands at 378k.

That means (*I think*):

Valuations of 440k + 524k = 964k.

Borrowing required 378k + 524k + 19k stamp duty= 921k

My cash deposit is 40k…….

Hmmmmm…..I can't complete the equation and I can't find an online LVR that can help me.

Thanks!

B x

Profile photo of investor Nicholasinvestor Nicholas
    Participant
    @investor-nicholas

Hi Bronte,

I'm a little unsure about what your after however is this right?:

Your PPR is currently at 86% LVR.
    You want to buy another property for 524k and borrow the whole amount
    You have 40k cash to help with costs.

If you borrow 95% of the cost of the new place (from a different bank), your 40k will go most of the way to cover LMI and stamp duty. If you intend on borrowing on your limited equity you will also have to pay LMI on your current mortgage.

I hope this helps

Profile photo of BronteBronte
    Participant
    @bronte

Thanks Nicholas:

That does help….

I am also trying to plot out how the LVR formula works – step by step – so I can run various scenarios and work out what comes in below the need for LMI…..

B x

Profile photo of investor Nicholasinvestor Nicholas
    Participant
    @investor-nicholas

Hi Bronte, your bank will value your property and lend according to their valuation. If you intend to borrow more than 80% of the value you will have to pay LMI. From what I understand most lenders will only lend as much as 95% of the property value.

If you go with another bank for the second property, the new bank will only assess the value of the new property and you will pay LMI accordingly.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    Bronte wrote:
    Hi!
    I want to work out an LVR by adding a 2nd property to an existing mortgage – but am uncertain about where the cash deposit fits into the equation.

For example:
    I have one property valued at 440k.
    I want to purchase a 2nd property valued at 524k.
    My mortgage on the 1st property stands at 378k.
    That means (*I think*):

Valuations of 440k + 524k = 964k.

Borrowing required 378k + 524k + 19k stamp duty= 921k

My cash deposit is 40k…….

Hmmmmm…..I can't complete the equation and I can't find an online LVR that can help me.

B x

Hope this is what you are seeking Good luck with the Calculations !

Based on your 40 k deposit being eaten up by stamp duty and mortgage insurance.

LVR = Loan to Valuation Ratio
    LVR = Loan / Valuation (this is what ratio means something divided by something else)
    Total Loan = 378k + 524k =   902k
    Total Value = 964k
    LVR = total loan / total Value * 100 (Multiplied by 100 to get a percentage figure)
    LVR = 902k / 964k *100
    LVR = 93.56%

Lets now assume that you borrowed the stamp duty and no mortgage insurance was needed
    LVR = Loan / Valuation (this is what ratio means something divided by something else)
    Total Loan = 378k + 524k +19k =   921k
    Total Value = 964k
    Now 40k used as deposit !
    Then the loan is going to be 40k less ! (assuming no LMI)
    Total Loan = 378k + 524k +19k =   921k – 40k
    Total Loan = 881k
    LVR = total loan / total Value * 100 (Multiplied by 100 to get a percentage figure)
    LVR = 881k / 964k *100
    LVR = 91.39%
    As LVR is > 80% you are going to have to pay LMI so your 40k deposit could be paying for this cost,
     so this LVR won't happen but I have shown in case you were wondering how to work it out or if it would work out to be < 80 LVR and hence avoiding LMI.

Lets now assume that you borrowed the stamp duty and mortgage insurance needed (based on a $27,000 LMI)
    Total Loan = 378k + 524k +19k +27k =   948k
    Total Value = 964k
    Now 40k used as deposit !
    Then the loan is going to be 40k less
    !
    Total Loan = 378k + 524k +19k +27k – 40k
    Total Loan = 908k
    LVR = 908k / 964k *100
    LVR = 94.19%
    As LVR is > 80% you are going to have to pay LMI so your 40k deposit could be paying for this cost,
    LMI figure based on total loan of 948k
    used  http://www.homeloanexperts.com.au/lenders-mortgage-insurance/lmi-calculator/ to get 27k guestimate however some lenders had as high as 34k LMI.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.