All Topics / Value Adding / Owner Builder Renovating in NSW

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of tulipsliptulipslip
    @tulipslip

Hi Everyone –

I started looking for a property that my husband and I can remodel. We were hoping to finish 1 every 2 years to take advantage of the primary residence CGT exemption. I did some research and found out that as an owner-builder, I must take an owner builder course (no problem) to get a certificate to build. Problem is, it appears as though we can only get one every 5 years??

I got this information from the OFT website (see below).

How do people get ‘around’ this or factor this into their reno plans? (besides of obvious answer of start a project every 5 years…)

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Rachelle

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tenants_and_home_owners/Home_building_and_renovating/Becoming_an_owner_builder.html

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

You really only need to get an OB licence if you are actually building, doing anything that requires a DA, there are certain things that council allows you to do without needing a DA, this varies between council, if you are just looking at renovating, such as new bathroom, kitchen, painting, tiling, etc, you dont require the OB licence.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

A 'new' bathroom would need a DA, a refurb would not. There is a cap as to the value of the work that can be performed before you need to have an OB licence – so watch that.

Having an OB licence you can do one place and your +1 can do another, at least this gives you a 2.5 year gap not 5 years.

Profile photo of tulipsliptulipslip
    @tulipslip

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Just got off the phone with the OFT. Their explanation was clear as mud… surprising.

Take some message: check with the counsel before I go to work. Which means: check with the counsel before I buy, which means talk to 3 different people at counsel before I get the right answer so I can consider a neighborhood in which to buy a potential reno. NIGHTMARE!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.